Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Short Checking" -- the practice of checking bags to a location short of your travel destination is no longer permitted by UA (and many airlines). It is believed one reason for this is to discourage "Hidden City Ticketing."

There are a couple of exceptions / loopholes
-- Over nights in route stays -- you are overnight at a connecting city.
Long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated) (>12 hours)
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck

-- Port of entry for USA arrivals
At most USA port of entries, you will have clear customs and you then can exit with your baggage (or recheck).
This does not work at IAD mid-field arrivals since must clear TSA to exit.
Also PreClearance airports (where you clear immigration and customs at the departure international city -- such as most Canada-USA flights and DUB and some Caribbean)

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.
Print Wikipost

UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
What do you mean by same PNR but two tickets?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by Often1
Whether on the same PNR or not, are you on the same ticket?

1. If the 12 hours is overnight, your bag will only be checked to IAD and you must reclaim it.
2. If you are on two tickets, even if they are booked into the same PNR, it is your option.
3. If one ticket and the 12 hours is not overnight, UA will not short-check, but it is possible that you may find an agent willing to do this. While the underlying policy reason may have to do with hidden city ticketing fraud, the policy is the policy and agents don't make policy, they just enforce it.

To be frank, if your sole reason is to change into more comfortable clothes, given UA's generous carry-on allowance, I would suggest tossing the change of clothes into your carryon and not have to deal with the checked luggage at IAD.
Thanks for the fast reply, much appreciated. Yes, it is all part of one award ticket (FLL-IAD-GRU-SDU). The layover is just under 12 hours, but not an overnight (arrives into Dulles 11:22 am and the departure to GRU is 11 pm), so it sounds like I may need to find an agent willing to accommodate me, or worst case just be prepared to check it through to GRU and throw the change of clothes in my backpack (my camera gear takes a lot of space, so it's a tight squeeze but I will manage). The other consideration is the Azul flight on the last leg, where they may not be as forgiving with carry-ons as UA.

Thank you again for the insight.

CK
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Hej,

I'm booked on LAS-SFO-FRA-GOT in January (Lufthansa ticket) and will have to drop the last leg (as my plans have changed). Lufthansa usually has no problem with this, but check-in in Las Vegas will be with United (LAS-SFO-FRA is on United) and I'm wondering whether I will encounter any problems if I ask them to check the bags only to Frankfurt. Connection time in Frankfurt is 90 minutes. The ticket is refundable/changeable (with penalty) and my backup plan would be to change to an overnight.

Thanks

Andreas
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:11 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
just came across this thread and i'm really surprised. i short check all the time.
eg
miaiah(6hrs)yvr
iahewr(22hrs)lhr
fraiah(1.5hrs)yvr, do bear in mind that a) at iah int<>int do not touch their bags and b) fra agents are ua agents

every time:
"hey can you just short check me? (i've been gold each of the three times i can remember) i got homies in ___ and i'm going to sdc or at least try to. less drama to just have my bags"
"ya of course. np. here your tix, remember to pickup at ___" (ie: i get zero resistance)

the hidden city ticketing defense is so stupid: bag searches take forever, you're just wasting the time of 50+ people, the airline and yourself, only to wait a few mins for your bag to get thrown in (or you can be a jerk and walk away then go to the bag office later on to get your bag unlocked). much easier to harm reduce and just do it. but that just me.

anyways, again, surprised short checking is an issue. but this is ua.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: EBG/*G
I browsed through this thread, but I'm still unsure about my upcoming trip to Mexico. I'm considering travelling LAX-CUN, then return CUN-SFO-LAX with a 7h transfer in in SFO (same price as 1h transfer, i.e. not stopover, but I need to do some shopping in SF, hence the long transfer). I'm now considering skipping the last leg (SFO-LAX), but I guess I won't be able to short-check my bag CUN-SFO (However, based on 299 it might be possible as I'm StarA Gold...). In case no short-check, I assume that I will need to collect my bag before customs in SFO - so for plan B, wouldn't I be able to get my bag in SFO before customs and then just leave and skip my last segment?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Yes you can. Don' make a habit of dropping legs however.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:11 am

Booked STL-EWR-MUC-VCE, with 9hr layover in Munich. Any chance we can get our bags short checked to Munich? Considering taking the train thru the Alps to Venice.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As is noted repeatedly in this thread, UA does not short-check bags. Presuming that you are booked STL-VCE with no overnights and connections, not stopovers, as you note, UA's policy is that you will check your bags at STL and collect them at VCE.

Can you short-check to MUC? Maybe. It will depend on the check-in agent and there is nothing you can do to plan this.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by chevy454
Booked STL-EWR-MUC-VCE, with 9hr layover in Munich. Any chance we can get our bags short checked to Munich? Considering taking the train thru the Alps to Venice.
Is this a one-way ticket? If not and you don't show up for MUC-VCE yu can expect whatever return or onward flights you booked on the same ticket to be canceled.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Can UA just checked in baggage for one segment, not whole trip?

Hello, I have a question: My flight is UA: IAH-LHR, then Agenair: LHR-ATH. Can I just check in baggage for first segment, and claim my checked in baggage and give to my friend at London, and I continue travel to ATH without checked in baggage?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Qing Song Zhang
Can UA just checked in baggage for one segment, not whole trip?
Generally UA will not short-check (check bags to an intermediate point) unless there are special circumstances (such as overnight). It is not UA's intend to be a freight carrier.

Aegean is an *A partner and has an interlining agreement, so checking to destination would be the normal process.

You can try, folks have had accommodating agents do it but risk being not able to do this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 9, 2018 at 12:25 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Thanks for your reply!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:49 pm

Does UA allow short checked some baggage?

Hi, I live in LA and got my parents business ticket with ANA point from DFW-LAX-TPE, they each have 2 checked baggage
I'm wondering if UA let them short check 1 baggage to just to LAX instead of final destination TPE so they can bring me alot of stuff to LA
Anyone experience this before? Thank you.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vivimkk
Hi, I live in LA and got my parents business ticket with ANA point from DFW-LAX-TPE, they each have 2 checked baggage
I'm wondering if UA let them short check 1 baggage to just to LAX instead of final destination TPE so they can bring me alot of stuff to LA
Anyone experience this before? Thank you.
In general, UA won’t short-check bags. Except in cases of long/overnight layover.

The primary reason for this is because they don’t want people to engage in HCT. Obviously, it’s pretty much never going to be cheaper to book a TPAC and just fly the domestic portion. But I doubt that will change things. One can always ask, I suppose, but be prepared for the answer to be no.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

In general, UA won’t short-check bags. Except in cases of long/overnight layover.

The primary reason for this is because they don’t want people to engage in HCT. Obviously, it’s pretty much never going to be cheaper to book a TPAC and just fly the domestic portion. But I doubt that will change things. One can always ask, I suppose, but be prepared for the answer to be no.

Thank you, looks like it really depends, I really don't want my parent to got a full luggage to airport and then they can't short check

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.