Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Short Checking" -- the practice of checking bags to a location short of your travel destination is no longer permitted by UA (and many airlines). It is believed one reason for this is to discourage "Hidden City Ticketing."

There are a couple of exceptions / loopholes
-- Over nights in route stays -- you are overnight at a connecting city.
Long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated) (>12 hours)
UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck

-- Port of entry for USA arrivals
At most USA port of entries, you will have clear customs and you then can exit with your baggage (or recheck).
This does not work at IAD mid-field arrivals since must clear TSA to exit.
Also PreClearance airports (where you clear immigration and customs at the departure international city -- such as most Canada-USA flights and DUB and some Caribbean)

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.
Print Wikipost

UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by SFOAmdam
I want to buy a round trip ticket XXX-SFO, which connects through FRA. I then want to buy a ticket FRA to another city, YYY. When I check in at SFO normally my bags would be checked through all the way back to XXX, but instead I would like them checked through to YYY on another PNR. My question unfortunately got moved to short check bags which was not my question (but related I guess if I wanted to short check and then recheck in but that was not my desire and it seems like not possible anyway).

I looked at booking three pnr's but the fra-sfo alone is more than the xxx-sfo and then would need to add the xxx-fra which makes this a more expensive attempt.

Any ideas?
This is essentially about short-checking (if I am understanding you correctly) -- you want to short-check to FRA on your return flight SFO-FRA-XXX, so that you can pick up your bags and send them to YYY.

The alternative that you are suggesting is to just check them from SFO-FRA-YYY, even though you will be nominally flying SFO-FRA-XXX on that itinerary (with the FRA-YYY being a second itinerary).

I don't think that the check-in agent in SFO will like that very much -- you will have one itinerary (the continuation from SFO-) FRA-XXX and another at the same time for FRA-YYY. You could try when you check in to "cancel" the FRA-XXX segment and terminate in FRA (even make up some story about how your plans changed at the last minute and you need to terminate there), but this would then (presumably) violate the fare rules of the round-trip ticket you purchased and they might try to debit you the difference.

Your best best, although, as this forum suggests, it might not be likely, is to ask to short-check to FRA and then abandon the last segment, then manually re-check your bags to YYY. But this is exactly why UA doesn't allow it, and the agent in SFO might see your FRA-YYY flight and see what you are trying to do. If you can engineer the layover on your scheduled FRA-XXX to be overnight, to make more of a rationale to short-check, that might work, but it's also not highly likely.

Instead of buying the one-way FRA-YYY, have you priced XXX-[FRA]-YYY? That would entail the extra flying from FRA-XXX, then turning right around and going back to YYY (presumably through FRA), but at least you could complete the round-trip (and earn a few extra miles). (And, ironically, they may be willing to check your bags SFO-FRA-XXX-FRA-YYY on the two separate PNRs.) If XXX and YYY are both in Europe, then the cost and time of backtracking might not be too big a deal.

I have done this type of thing many times.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Tom Beyersdorf
IF, big if, your transfer point between legs 3 and 4 involves clearing immigrations AND customs, then of course you'll need to pick up your bags personally, even if they're checked through to final destination. In that case, don't recheck your bags after clearing customs and go to your storage location.
When we return, we have to overnight in Washington where we clear customs. If we don't recheck our bags right then, will there be a problem the next morning when we check in with United to go home?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by VOH2OX2
When we return, we have to overnight in Washington where we clear customs. If we don't recheck our bags right then, will there be a problem the next morning when we check in with United to go home?
No.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
intl flights

I have never had an issue on short checking bags on intl flights and hope this does not become an issue. There are many times when I spend one night in a city and the stopover is a little bit less than 24 hours so it automatically becomes a connection in the reservation. But, touch wood, I have never once had an issue getting my luggage ticketed just to where I was spending the night. This thread has given me a bit of a fright!
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:22 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uanj
I have never had an issue on short checking bags on intl flights and hope this does not become an issue. There are many times when I spend one night in a city and the stopover is a little bit less than 24 hours so it automatically becomes a connection in the reservation. But, touch wood, I have never once had an issue getting my luggage ticketed just to where I was spending the night. This thread has given me a bit of a fright!
You can probably short-check bags to as far as your BPs will take you, which may be short of your destination. BPs may not bridge a 4-hour+ connection, at least in the USA, even though a longer connection is not a stopover on an international itinerary. Certainly BPs don't bridge even a short overnight stay.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by VOH2OX2
We are flying to SXM in March from LAS, we overnight in ORD. We have been told by United (in India) that our luggage is checked all the way through, I would like to keep our luggage with us, take it off for our overnight in Chicago and then take it back for our trip to St Martin, is this possible? If so, what do we tell the agent in LAS?
Thank you for your response and the time you spend on this forum.
Luck to you,
Ellen
When we got to the LAS airport, our bags were checked to ORD, and then we had to recheck them in the morning to SXM.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
1) Recent experiences short-checking still not permitted?

2) IAD-specific international arrivals: have only ever terminated at IAD (being DC-based), so a bit fuzzy. Seem to recall that it's about the only internatioal airport where connecting baggage is picked up and taken through customs in a different location from terminating bags (or is this dependent on your arrival terminal?). Some folks have mentioned not just being able to pick up bags checked for connections on arrival at IAD. What's the story?

Looking to short-check bags to IAD only (from Europe), looking for best strategy other than just having a carryon. Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by gleff

2) IAD-specific international arrivals: have only ever terminated at IAD (being DC-based), so a bit fuzzy. Seem to recall that it's about the only internatioal airport where connecting baggage is picked up and taken through customs in a different location from terminating bags (or is this dependent on your arrival terminal?). Some folks have mentioned not just being able to pick up bags checked for connections on arrival at IAD. What's the story?
If you arrive at terminal C, have a connecting flight, and have checked luggage tagged to your final destination (other than IAD), you must clear immigration and customs in the basement of Terminal C (I call it the dungeon). Your only option out of this space is to clear TSA security and go into Terminal C. There is no option to exit out of the airport. So, you can only take with you into the terminal luggage which would be permitted passed TSA security. Any other luggage must be rechecked.

Personally, I have taken a rollerboard that I have checked in a foreign airport (which they forced me to check because their luggage policy was more strict than is enforced at US airports), ripped the tags off, and carried it through the TSA checkpoint into terminal C. This luggage met United's size requirements and did not have things like bottles of liquids in it. While the airlines might not be happy with it, I have done it.

The one thing I do not know because I have not tried is what would happen if you have a bag tagged to go to IAD when you have another connecting flight beyond IAD. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that the bag would end up at the other customs and immigration in the main terminal building. I suspect this because I am not sure how they could tell from the luggage tag that you are not terminating your travel at IAD even if the bag is tagged for IAD... Others might know authoritatively.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by droopydog
The one thing I do not know because I have not tried is what would happen if you have a bag tagged to go to IAD when you have another connecting flight beyond IAD. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that the bag would end up at the other customs and immigration in the main terminal building. I suspect this because I am not sure how they could tell from the luggage tag that you are not terminating your travel at IAD even if the bag is tagged for IAD... Others might know authoritatively.
this is correct. if the bag is tagged for IAD, the bag goes to IAB. so even though you're connecting, you must act as if you're terminating at IAD. pick up your bag, and recheck it at the counter.

it's quite simple, actually.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: BD Diamond Club Gold
Check bags only to layover city

Hi!

I have a flight on United, that involves a 15 hour layover in FRA. Upon check-in, can I ask them to check my bags only until Frankfurt? How about if the flight is operated by a partner airline (CO or US)?

Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Yeah with a layover like that I'm pretty sure they'd have no problem short checking your bag to FRA. Should be the same on any airline.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:25 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Yeah with a layover like that I'm pretty sure they'd have no problem short checking your bag to FRA. Should be the same on any airline.
If you're flying into the EU from the US, and then on to another EU destination, is the process similar to flying into the US where you have to claim your baggage and then re-check it? I don't recall the one time I flew into CDG and then on to Biarritz. Normally my final destination is the first place I land (in the EU).
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
No, the process is totally different when flying from the US into the EU. Normally, if your luggage is tagged all the way through to your final destination you won't have to pick it up at all in your connecting point. In all the times, I've changed planes in Europe, I cannot think of one time where I had to pick up my luggage and recheck it.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
That's the code word. Ask the agent to "short check" it. You don't need a reason even for a normal connection. "I have to get something out of it" is enough if the agent asks by way of making small talk. With fifteen hours, your request is unlikely to arouse even this much curiosity.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Efrem, I wish I could convince my local station to short-check on domestic flights! They always give me some crap about security and terrorism and short-checking is a sign of terrorism etc etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.