Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]

The refund process
1) You cancel the trip prior to day of departure. You will receive a notice of cancellation and nothing else.

2) You have 1 year from the original purchase date to reschedule travel (the new trip has to start within that one year period). The new travel must be in the same name as the original ticket. Keep the record locator (PNR) and e-ticket number to reference when rescheduling. (This will be a FFC)

3) At the time of rescheduling you will need to paid in full with new money the change fee. You will be able to apply the full purchase price of the original trip toward the new trip. The rescheduling /credit is handled by modifying the canceled record (not by start a brand new reservation and applying a credit).

4) If the new trip is less expensive, you will receive an e-voucher good for future travel. The e-voucher is good for 1 year from when it was issued and can be used by anyone.

5) After paying the full change fee, If requesting a refund, you need to applied to UA for a medical waiver (E-Ticket refund). When applying for the refund you will need to provide documentation (there is a method for uploading documents)In the case of relative or traveling companion's death: Please provide a death certificate.
If you are sick: Please provide a doctor’s note advising you not to fly.
If you have an immediate family who is sick: Please provide the name, address and telephone number of the hospital where they are admitted and the name of their doctor.
If you have jury duty: Please provide a copy of your jury duty notice.
If approved, our change fee will be refunded minus a $50 processing charge.

Note: If the medical certification forbids travel in the one year period, a full refund to original method of payment (versus e-voucher) is possible. There will see be a $50 processing fee.
United Airlines drops $50 fee for hardship refunds Nov 2015

From UA's Contract of Carriage {13 Dec 2013}
If a Passenger is unable to commence or continue travel because of the death or serious illness of the Passenger, the Passenger’s immediate family member(s), or the Passenger’s traveling companion(s), UA may waive or refund any applicable change fees (less a processing fee) associated with changing the ticket(s).
Immediate Family Member means spouse, children, step-children, foster children, legally adopted wards, son/daughter-in-law, grandchildren, parents, step-parents, legal guardians, mother/father-in-law, grandparents, brother/sister, step-brother/sister, half-brother/sister, brother/sister-in-law, aunts/uncles and nieces/nephews.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:15 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Kacee
I also had to make use of this for a canceled trip. Submitted doctor's letter through the webform, along with a brief explanation, and UA approved the change fee refund in six days. ^
I just submitted a refund request for change fees for goalie-partents trip due to goalie-dad fracturing his ankle so let's see if the six days holds true for me as it did for you
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Kacee
I also had to make use of this for a canceled trip. Submitted doctor's letter through the webform, along with a brief explanation, and UA approved the change fee refund in six days. ^
I just submitted a refund request for change fees for goalie-partents trip due to goalie-dad fracturing his ankle so let's see if the six days holds true for me as it did for you
Refund approved ^ and looks like I beat Kacee by a day* as I submitted the refund request on January 18th and the refund approval* email came in last night (January 23rd)

*5 days from submission to approval with the std "please allow 7-10 business days for the refund to be applied to your [credit card] account"
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:46 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Refund approved ^ and looks like I beat Kacee by a day* as I submitted the refund request on January 18th and the refund approval* email came in last night (January 23rd)

*5 days from submission to approval with the std "please allow 7-10 business days for the refund to be applied to your [credit card] account"
Same here. Submitted mine on February 9, refund approval February 14.
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Pat89339

​​​​​​​
And to complete the circle, the the refund hit the credit card exactly 7 business days from the date on the refund approval e-mail
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:25 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pat89339

And to complete the circle, the the refund hit the credit card exactly 7 business days from the date on the refund approval e-mail
I received approval on February 14 and the credit hit my account February 13!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:39 am

Award ticket re-scheduling $125 waiver if I present mom’s surgery certificate?

I’m originally from Canada and presently in India. I was supposed to fly to the US in Jan and back to Canada in Feb. However, while in India, my mother was diagnosed with some cysts and had to undergo a hysterectomy so I had to postpone my trip to the US to mid-March. Accordingly, I’ll be flying from US to Canada in April now.

I had a United award ticket booked from SFO to Toronto for Feb 28, but now I need to reschedule that to April.

Can I get the $125 fee waived off if I present my mother’s medical certificate to them?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Yes. You need a physician’s note and your refund request should contain her name and relationship to you.

Sorry to hear about your mom.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
So just change your flight, then submit a refund request. Take a look at this thread

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
So just change your flight, then submit a refund request. Take a look at this thread

Ah, so I need to pay the $125 first to change the date then request the refund? Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by nevillek

Ah, so I need to pay the $125 first to change the date then request the refund? Thanks
Correct. If your request is approved, your $125 change fee will be refunded to its original form of payment. UA is very good about this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by getagb
Yes. You need a physician’s note and your refund request should contain her name and relationship to you.

Sorry to hear about your mom.
Originally Posted by laxmillenial

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Correct. If your request is approved, your $125 change fee will be refunded to its original form of payment. UA is very good about this.
Thanks guys. Actually, I'm not going to the US anymore but flying straight from India to Canada. So I need to cancel this award ticket rather than re-schedule it. Is it possible to still get a refund if I present my mother's doctor's certificate/discharge papers showing we were unable to fly to US for the vacation and now I need to resume my life back in Canada as I have no time to travel to the US?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by nevillek
Thanks guys. Actually, I'm not going to the US anymore but flying straight from India to Canada. So I need to cancel this award ticket rather than re-schedule it. Is it possible to still get a refund if I present my mother's doctor's certificate/discharge papers showing we were unable to fly to US for the vacation and now I need to resume my life back in Canada as I have no time to travel to the US?
You can always try and see. Good luck. Please come back here and let us know your result.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:08 pm

If you get very ill and cannot fly 3 roundtrips paid for you still lose all miles

Even though you were too ill to fly. All miles lost from 30 years of travel. Punish the sick. If you travel many times a year for 30 years and get very sick you should get credit for 3 roundtrips paid for and not lose the miles accrued over 30 years. Punish the senior citizens. Dr Dow daily. You tried your best to travel but too sick, so United sticks in the knife and twists it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 29, 2018 at 11:46 am Reason: moved to master thread
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by BF263533
Even though you were too ill to fly. All miles lost from 30 years of travel. Punish the sick. If you travel many times a year for 30 years and get very sick you should get credit for 3 roundtrips paid for and not lose the miles accrued over 30 years. Punish the senior citizens. Dr Dow daily. You tried your best to travel but too sick, so United sticks in the knife and twists it.
I'm confused. I think you're pulling together two separate issues.

1. You paid for 3 roundtrips (using miles) and were not refunded due to being sick.
2. You lost miles accrued over 30 years. (Due to not flying within 2 years so your accrued miles expired) Or is this related to #1 and being the same 'miles' being referred to.

Regarding #1:
United does cancel and refund paid and mile award tickets for being sick. All you have to do is provide a doctor's note. There are many posts in a thread stating that United refunds any and all charges (and change fees) for tickets incurring penalty for health/sickness reasons. Did you do this on any of the 3 separate occasions? Did you attempt to?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BF263533
See the wiki of this thread for information on how the medical cancellation could have been handled
&
Absolutely no reason to let miles expire with so many no or minimal cost methods to reset the expiration date
Consolidated "How to Keep/Refresh Expiring Miles" Thread

And for those looking to recover some value,
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...le-flight.html

[mod edit 2]
For issues relating to a medical issues / death, this thread may prove helpful:

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2018 at 10:56 am Reason: adjusted link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.