Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The refund process
1) You cancel the trip prior to day of departure. You will receive a notice of cancellation and a FFC

2) You have 1 year from the original purchase date to reschedule travel (the new trip has to start within that one year period). The new travel must be in the same name as the original ticket. Keep the record locator (PNR) and e-ticket number to reference when rescheduling. (This will be a FFC)

3) You will be able to apply the full purchase price of the original trip toward the new trip.

4) If the new trip is less expensive, you will receive an FFC good for future travel. .

5) If requesting a refund, you need to applied to UA for a medical waiver (E-Ticket refund). When applying for the refund you will need to provide documentation (there is a method for uploading documents)In the case of relative or traveling companion's death: Please provide a death certificate.

In the cases where there is a change fee, pay the change fee and after the flight file for a change refund
If you are sick: Please provide a doctor’s note advising you not to fly.
If you have an immediate family who is sick: Please provide the name, address and telephone number of the hospital where they are admitted and the name of their doctor.
If you have jury duty: Please provide a copy of your jury duty notice.

Note: If the medical certification forbids travel in the one year period, a full refund to original method of payment (versus e-voucher) is possible.
There is no longer a fee, United Airlines drops $50 fee for hardship refunds Nov 2015

From UA's Contract of Carriage {13 Dec 2013}
If a Passenger is unable to commence or continue travel because of the death or serious illness of the Passenger, the Passenger’s immediate family member(s), or the Passenger’s traveling companion(s), UA may waive or refund any applicable change fees (less a processing fee) associated with changing the ticket(s).
Immediate Family Member means spouse, children, step-children, foster children, legally adopted wards, son/daughter-in-law, grandchildren, parents, step-parents, legal guardians, mother/father-in-law, grandparents, brother/sister, step-brother/sister, half-brother/sister, brother/sister-in-law, aunts/uncles and nieces/nephews.
Archive thread: Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2023, 5:53 am

You can cancel and retain the ticket as a credit for future travel through the expiration of the ticket's validity, fare difference would still apply (formerly they would refund the change fee in this situation with a physician's note indicating travel was not advised, but since change fees are no longer a thing.... cest le vie). If the medical condition prohibits travel for the remainder of the validity of the ticket (which I'm not sure if what sounds like a case of OM would prevent travel for that long), I think the refunds department would process a refund if requested with supporting documentation from the physician.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and findark like this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 5:58 am

Any trip insurance (paid policy or via your credit card)
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:09 am

Did you check the fare rules for the ticket? Probably worth reviewing them for change fees to be informed about the baseline conditions.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dtc
Dear Experts, I'm kind of in a bind. My kid got a super bad cold and developed an earache after my outbound flight. The doctor warned that <too many details redacted>, and *at present* advised against taking the return flight home on Saturday due to the risk of damage. ...
Hope things improve, you don't want to damage the ear drum.

Originally Posted by dtc
Does United have any doctor's notes exceptions?
Yes, UA will make certain exceptions for medical issues. Your major issue after finding space will be fare differences. Cancel & reschedule the return trip when you know if the situation is you must change plans. Talk to an agent to reschedule, there is a small chance they will waive the fare difference at rebooking, very small chance. You can make a refunds request post flight with a doctor's letter for the fare difference. If UA does not agree, then make a trip interruption claim for medical reasons with you credit credit card or ttravel insurance

Originally Posted by jpezaris
Did you check the fare rules for the ticket? Probably worth reviewing them for change fees to be informed about the baseline conditions.
I doubt their will be anything useful in the fare rules. And changes fees are gone from published fares ex-USA.
dtc likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 2023 at 11:11 pm Reason: quote repair
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:08 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Any trip insurance (paid policy or via your credit card)
I actually do have trip insurance! Mostly because there was a chance I needed to invoke the cancel for any reason term. But I'm not sure how that applies right now. My understanding is that once I get home, then I start filing all the claims. Is that incorrect?

Originally Posted by VRFast
Bottom line, ear infections and flying are a no-go.
Yeah. The problem is my kid is quite young and I'm not sure what a safe indicator looks like. I wish I had gone into medicine like my dad wanted.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by dtc
I actually do have trip insurance! Mostly because there was a chance I needed to invoke the cancel for any reason term. But I'm not sure how that applies right now. My understanding is that once I get home, then I start filing all the claims. Is that incorrect?

depends on your policy, what is covered and any exclusions. Some policies count towards trip interruption to cover nonrefundable costs or new costs (due to family member can't travel due to advice of physician) while some give a daily stipend.

Some policies require you to notify asap.

No one knows until you read the full policy (and you should have read it when purchasing policy to understand what's covered).
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:37 am

request refund after the passenger died

Hi, I am hoping that something from United can get back to me or anyone else who can offer some suggestions.

I purchased a ticket for my mother, who unexpectedly passed away. I bought the ticket via Expedia, who says I need to contact the airline myself. Expedia advises me to write to[email protected] . But this email gives an auto-reply saying I should submit online via this link: http://united.com/web/en-us/content/...tions/refunds/ . But this link goes nowhere.

What exactly do I do now? Do I need to try to login to my mother's United account and see what is there?

I suppose I can call United. But I am hoping I can avoid having to talk to someone directly.......Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Use this link: https://www.united.com/en/us/refunds
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Sorry for your loss. I can't speak to the correct UA contact, but you are likely going to need a copy of the death certificate, or similar proof that your mother has passed. The general refund page should be here: https://www.united.com/en/us/refunds but it will ask you to log into UA.com and will show you options for flights that are associated with your account. Honestly, I would consider calling UA and asking who the right person to talk to is.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Use this link: https://www.united.com/en/us/refunds
Thank you. I went to that link and added the ticket, but it says "We can not process refund request for active trips".

Do I need to log in to my mother's account to try to make the ticket inactive first?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by sonicking
Thank you. I went to that link and added the ticket, but it says "We can not process refund request for active trips".

Do I need to log in to my mother's account to try to make the ticket inactive first?
Very sorry for you loss. Honestly, your best entrance into the system to deal with this is to call UA.
ARR72 and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:44 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold

I would not cancel the flight(s) but call UA. They will definitely require a copy of the Death Certificate. Ask about her mileage being transferred to next of kin.
tods27 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Condolences for your loss. You will have a year from purchase to do this. Yes, for the refunds like to work, the ticket needs to be cancelled for the refunds folks to handle. You can do that but agree with other you probably should call a regular reservation agent.. You will need a death Certificate and proof of being the executor of the estate. And as others mention UA will transfer the accounts miles. UA will do this without cost but it may take time.
Aussienarelle and Repooc17 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You should call United to cancel the ticket before the day of travel s the reservation isn't considered a no-show. As others have said, calling in is the best place to start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.