Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The refund process
1) You cancel the trip prior to day of departure. You will receive a notice of cancellation and a FFC

2) You have 1 year from the original purchase date to reschedule travel (the new trip has to start within that one year period). The new travel must be in the same name as the original ticket. Keep the record locator (PNR) and e-ticket number to reference when rescheduling. (This will be a FFC)

3) You will be able to apply the full purchase price of the original trip toward the new trip.

4) If the new trip is less expensive, you will receive an FFC good for future travel. .

5) If requesting a refund, you need to applied to UA for a medical waiver (E-Ticket refund). When applying for the refund you will need to provide documentation (there is a method for uploading documents)In the case of relative or traveling companion's death: Please provide a death certificate.

In the cases where there is a change fee, pay the change fee and after the flight file for a change refund
If you are sick: Please provide a doctor’s note advising you not to fly.
If you have an immediate family who is sick: Please provide the name, address and telephone number of the hospital where they are admitted and the name of their doctor.
If you have jury duty: Please provide a copy of your jury duty notice.

Note: If the medical certification forbids travel in the one year period, a full refund to original method of payment (versus e-voucher) is possible.
There is no longer a fee, United Airlines drops $50 fee for hardship refunds Nov 2015

From UA's Contract of Carriage {13 Dec 2013}
If a Passenger is unable to commence or continue travel because of the death or serious illness of the Passenger, the Passenger’s immediate family member(s), or the Passenger’s traveling companion(s), UA may waive or refund any applicable change fees (less a processing fee) associated with changing the ticket(s).
Immediate Family Member means spouse, children, step-children, foster children, legally adopted wards, son/daughter-in-law, grandchildren, parents, step-parents, legal guardians, mother/father-in-law, grandparents, brother/sister, step-brother/sister, half-brother/sister, brother/sister-in-law, aunts/uncles and nieces/nephews.
Archive thread: Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
advice needed: requesting a refund for mileage ticket redeposit fees

Hi all, would like your advice.
Back in February I used 37.5K miles from my account (Platinum, 2MM) and 37.5K miles from my daughter's account (general member) to book tickets for good friends and their son to fly from OMA-YVR (from my account) on July 5 and then return (daughter's account) on July 10. They were going to meet us in Whistler where we vacation every year and it seemed almost definite that the trip would happen.

A month ago my friend's father was told that he needs quadruple bypass surgery, and of course the surgery is scheduled for the middle of this trip. There are concerns that the father will not survive the surgery and my friend is the responsible member of her family, so of course they cancelled the trip. I went to redeposit the miles and was charged $50 * 3 = $150 to redeposit to my account and $375 ($125 * 3) to redeposit to my daughter's account, or $525. Yikes!

Is there any process to appeal this because it was a medical issue with an immediate family member? I'd take any refund or voucher from United. Advice is welcomed. Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 8, 2019 at 11:05 am Reason: Moved to consodidated thread
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Is there any process to appeal this because it was a medical issue with an immediate family member? I'd take any refund or voucher from United. Advice is welcomed. Thanks!
Details of the process are in the wiki, but as this is an immediate family member of a travel companion, you should have a good shot.

Note you must pay the fees first and then appeal for a refund.

An issue is a refund for paid tickets is generally only if the issue prevents travel for at least a year, for shorter-term issues not sure what UA will do for mileage redeposit fees.
JNelson113 and findark like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Details of the process are in the wiki, but as this is an immediate family member of a travel companion, you should have a good shot.

Note you must pay the fees first and then appeal for a refund.

An issue is a refund for paid tickets is generally only if the issue prevents travel for at least a year, for shorter-term issues not sure what UA will do for mileage redeposit fees.
It's not clear how the OP is getting to Whistler, so the friends may not qualify as "travel companions."
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GFrye
It's not clear how the OP is getting to Whistler, so the friends may not qualify as "travel companions."
Best to read what UA states, but the immediate family member of a traveler qualifiers for the request and any of their traveling companions -- it does not have to be the individual that purchased the ticket (nor does the purchaser also need to be traveling at the same time).
jsloan and GFrye like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Best to read what UA states, but the immediate family member of a traveler qualifiers for the request and any of their traveling companions -- it does not have to be the individual that purchased the ticket (nor does the purchaser also need to be traveling at the same time).
Many thanks, WineCountry!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:24 am
sfp

removed

Last edited by sfp; Aug 20, 2019 at 8:20 am Reason: removed
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
As a 1k, I would even think I know this... but I have no clue... :-(
For the first time in 15+ years my plans have changed for a flight I have tomorrow
Supposed to fly Ex Sydney tomorrow to the USA for vacation, but Wife's grandmother has gone into hospital today and has only a few hours to go
Wife has asked me to postpone trip so I am.... Flights are all UA metal and was a cash ticket in non-refund fare class (G if it makes any difference)

Can I just cancel the ticket online now and then call in later or something to use the residual on new flights? I still plan to go in the next 8 weeks... just not sure on new dates and wont be for 1-2 weeks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 23, 2019 at 11:41 am Reason: moved to exisiting thread
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Can I just cancel the ticket online now and then call in later or something to use the residual on new flights? I still plan to go in the next 8 weeks... just not sure on new dates and wont be for 1-2 weeks
Yes, exactly that. Canceling never carries a fee - only the change. As long as you rebook within one year of the purchase date it's fine.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's grandmother.

As findark said, cancel now and reschedule later. When you do have the dates ready, call and explain the situation. UA will either waive the change fee, or they'll charge the change fee but refund it when you send documentation. (The latter is the official policy; some agents will skip the extra steps, especially for a 1K).
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
jsloan has it right. Happened to me once when we were literally on the way to the airport and got a call from my brother that our mother was in her last hours. I called UA as I turned the car around and they canceled our flights and said when you are ready to re-book just have a copy of the death certificate or an obit so we can refund the change fee. It actually happened again a few years later when my mother in law passed away and I had to cancel my wife's ticket for a trip we had planned. UA does a lot of stuff that upsets us, annoys us but on this stuff they do the right thing.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:45 am

Moved your query to this thread -- where the wiki goes thru the process.
As mentioned earlier, occasionally an agent will waive the change fee but if not, just pay the fee and do the formal refund process as described in the wiki.
Having done this more than once (the cycle of life), it works well.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:45 am

Credit for Cancellation Fee

My wife and a good friend (let's call her friend #1 ) bought regular economy class tickets on United Airlines (over a month ago) to visit a friend this weekend. The person they were flying to visit (let's call her friend #2 ) had a sudden death in her family, which resulted in friend #2 needing to fly to another location to be with family. We cancelled the tickets last night. It appears that United is going to charge $200 per traveler when they go to use the travel credit. Two questions:

1. Is the cancel fee per traveler or person reservation? I thought the latter (was pretty sure), but it appears not. Has this changed in the last few years?

2. Might this fall under the death of a family member provision, whereby such cancellation fee might be waived? I realize this death was not in my wife's family or in the family of her traveling companion (friend #1 ), but it might as well have been as it had the same effect (cancelling of the trip).

We will probably call United later, but thought I'd try and get some intelligence from others who might have encountered this before.

Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mgiannetto
1. Is the cancel fee per traveler or person reservation? I thought the latter (was pretty sure), but it appears not. Has this changed in the last few years?
It's per ticket, which is per traveler. This has not changed; it has always been like this.

Originally Posted by mgiannetto
2. Might this fall under the death of a family member provision, whereby such cancellation fee might be waived? I realize this death was not in my wife's family or in the family of her traveling companion (friend #1 ), but it might as well have been as it had the same effect (cancelling of the trip).
Doubtful, unless #1 and #2 are related to each other, but there is no harm in explaining the circumstances when calling to change the ticket, and asking for a waiver.
threeoh likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
It's per ticket, which is per traveler. This has not changed; it has always been like this.
And it is the same on pretty much every major airline except Southwest, which does not charge change fees.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:26 pm

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

We called and they won't make any decision on the cancel/change fee until the new reservation is booked and the flights have been taken. Then we submit and see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.