Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Pilot Q & A thread
Print Wikipost

United Pilot Q & A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
The tray table is MONEY, as are the foot stools on the long transcon flights.
Hey, keep your feet on the rudder!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:23 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by flyinryan
:-::-:
Liz, will you be my FT girlfriend?
Have I met you? Think we should meet first! Seriously, I find Ch. 9 so helpful I hate it when it's off. When the pilots are busy going into a hold, or something is below 18k (sterile cockpit), I can ask a pax, "hey, what's going on?" and they can quickly fill me in. I don't feel any less "special" and I certainly don't feel like the pilots are violating their CLR with the f/a's by not calling me with every little thing. If there is an emergency, of course I expect them to silence Ch. 9 and get in touch with us, and IME they have.

Ok, don't want to deviate from the thread, since there is already enough drama on the other one!

UA started CLR (CRM) after the PDX accident in the late 70's (pilots correct me if I'm wrong). They have been leaders in safety. I find our pilots to be excellent and 99 percent of the time they are fun too.

Back to questions...

Pilots, with PBS, can't you "bid around" guys you don't really like to fly with? I am waiting for that one with the f/a PBS system!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
What do you do differently (if anything), when you hear "Caution, wake turbulence"?
Here's more than you ever wanted to know about wake turbulence. Section 7-3-4 talks about how you avoid it.

http://www2.faa.gov/airports_airtraf...7/aim0703.html
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Based in Chicago. Airbus 320 driver. Not a tootsie-pop victim yet.
there's still time

Originally Posted by GoingAway
You've missed out on freshairborne and our veteran FT'er pilot, gumpfs
see, i didn't have enough coffee (and there's still time for them, too )

Originally Posted by Liz
Just devastated they don't want a thread about f/a's and how exciting we are .

Pilots, thanks for coming over and having your say!!!!! I really appreciate it, and I know the other f/a's here will too. And if you can, keep Ch. 9 on!
some of us do know just how wonderful you are . now i for one would like to see an "ask the f/a thread" but only if it could be kept the way this thread has been going tho i fear that it would turn into an f/a bashing thread which is something i don't want to see.

Originally Posted by flyinryan
:-::-:
Liz, will you be my FT girlfriend?
i'd do you one better and say "marry me" but where i already did that in another thread to another f/a, it would be a bad thing .

and now back to our regularly scheduled thread
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Liz
Just devastated they don't want a thread about f/a's and how exciting we are.
Liz, when I posted in the channel 9 thread about starting this thread I alluded to potential downsides of it - I feared pilot bashing. That hasn't happened, thankfully. As much as I would like to see a "Ask a UA FA" thread, I think that would inevitably happen. Maye you could start a "ask Liz" thread instead?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Here's one I haven't seen: have UA (or if any other drivers care to chime in) really embraced the FFDO program? Does it do anything for your mindset to have a weapon in the cockpit? Is it more trouble than it's worth?

And another echo to those pilots taking the time....I'm not a UA flyer, stumbled on the thread, thanks very much.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM
What is Threat Level 2? How often is it invoked? If no FAMs are aboard, does SOP include informing select passengers and enlisting their assistance?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeattleFred
What is Threat Level 2? How often is it invoked? If no FAMs are aboard, does SOP include informing select passengers and enlisting their assistance?
I'm not sure if flight crew should be answering that. Sorry.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:32 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by waterfalls123
I'm not sure if flight crew should be answering that. Sorry.
Agree, we can't discuss that. We also can't stop people from posting their experiences on FT.

As for the "ask the f/a" thread, LOL, I was joking. It would degrade into the usual bashing, and I am not into that. We have too much pax contact to have a thread that would be civilized in nature.

^ to this thread staying on topic!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Here's one I haven't seen: have UA (or if any other drivers care to chime in) really embraced the FFDO program? Does it do anything for your mindset to have a weapon in the cockpit? Is it more trouble than it's worth?

And another echo to those pilots taking the time....I'm not a UA flyer, stumbled on the thread, thanks very much.
I think it is an EXCELLENT program.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
So do I and I was initially a skeptic.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Liz
Agree, we can't discuss that. We also can't stop people from posting their experiences on FT.

As for the "ask the f/a" thread, LOL, I was joking. It would degrade into the usual bashing, and I am not into that. We have too much pax contact to have a thread that would be civilized in nature.

^ to this thread staying on topic!

I think the flight attendants have fantastic stories. If we're all sitting around the bar (I'll buy the third and fifth rounds if you fly with me ), I usually start off by asking them if they've had any flights with "famous" people on board lately. That usually gets the conversation going quite nicely hearing about how "nice" some celebrities aren't.

I was at the bar with a couple of flight attendants a few months back who were flying with Pete McDonald (sp?), one of our illustrious Executive VP's. They told me that apparently, he won't take a drink or food from the galley unless it is sealed (i.e. soda can not opened, seals not broken on the meals). Obviously, I don't know if they were just pulling my leg or something, but they seemed serious to me. Kind of says something about the climate we operate in here at UAL, huh?

And when I say "at the bar," I mean on a LAYOVER that allows me to legally sit at a bar, not in-between flights!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by LarryJ
So do I and I was initially a skeptic.
Could you elaborate at all, or would that be considered too sensitive?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
What a great thread. Thanks so much to the pilots for taking the time. I have a question about transatlantic flights. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I understand that even with GPS and new avionics there is still a several hour period over the Atlantic where there is no radar or ATC coverage. That is, you are given a specific route, speed and altitude to take. My question is if there is a lot of turbulence or other factors that would make you want to change altitudes, speed or routes, how do you do that safely?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, CO Plat. DL Silver, SPG Plat, Marriot Plat., HH Diamond, Hertz PC, many more
I think the flight attendants have fantastic stories. If we're all sitting around the bar (I'll buy the third and fifth rounds if you fly with me ), I usually start off by asking them if they've had any flights with "famous" people on board lately. That usually gets the conversation going quite nicely hearing about how "nice" some celebrities aren't.

I was at the bar with a couple of flight attendants a few months back who were flying with Pete McDonald (sp?), one of our illustrious Executive VP's. They told me that apparently, he won't take a drink or food from the galley unless it is sealed (i.e. soda can not opened, seals not broken on the meals). Obviously, I don't know if they were just pulling my leg or something, but they seemed serious to me. Kind of says something about the climate we operate in here at UAL, huh?

And when I say "at the bar," I mean on a LAYOVER that allows me to legally sit at a bar, not in-between flights!
If true, that is hysterical! UA Job Openings: Executive Food Taster, Requirements: Must be able to ingest poison and survive to save someone who is not worthy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.