Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by Asknorm
I crossed 2 MM about two weeks ago. I started the day by taking pictures with everyone who was part of the experience, including the baggage handlers. I checked a bag so they would be part of the day. I made a video of the experience as well. By asking the gate attendants to be part, and sharing what was taking place I think I made it easy for someone to mark the occasion. The pilot came running down the jetway to congratulate me. He also gave me an extended explanantion about the workings in the cockpit. I have been in the cockpit plenty of times but he went beyond the cursory explanation. He allowed me to stay for the entire pre-flight and in fact the Fa had to come tell me to take my seat because we were supposed to leave in 3 minutes. It was great, the start. Chicago segment was underwhelming.
Still no email, card in the mail or anything else that celebrate the milestone. The ironic part was the flight was taking me to work with one of consulting clients, a corporate travel management company. I had purposely scheduled my trip so I would be working with them when I hit the mark. I know they would appreciate it and I shared my story with them. I am a professional speaker so it is going to make it's way into my program.
Not sure how they cannot recognize when someone hits a milestone. This is just crazy and lazy.
Don't stress, after your 3rd million the disappointment goes away
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Elite, HHonors Diamond
Recent 1MMer - fun experience

Hello All, I thought I'd share my experience of becoming a 1MMer after reading some less than complimentary stories of lack of recognition on here.

I went through my 1MM on a flight from EWR to LHR and just prior to that I got a canned email from Oscar saying I'm close to the 1MM milestone. I thought I would get something via email after the milestone but nothing so initially I was super disappointed. I called up the 1K hotline and they said it's varied as to what happens. A week later, I was in the UA Club at LHR and asked the staff as to what happens when people go through the various MM bands, she replied that typically they have a little ceremony either at the gate or at the UA Club. She said that they didn't have anything booked for me. At that point I was really starting to get even more disillusioned with the "customer care" aspect of UA.

The next day, I took a flight to NRT from EWR and to my surprise, they called my name at the gate, I was already travelling in Polaris so I knew it had to be related to my 1MM or I was being "reaccomodated" for some reason or another. A GS rep congratulated me and preboarded me, she also gave me a card with well wishes for the milestone. As I sat down, the captain came to see me, congratulated me and invited me to the flight deck to have a look see.(I'm training for my PPL so was very curious) I also got a signed copy of the flight plan from the captain. Shortly after, the purser came over and congratulated me too. When we landed in NRT, the purser (I presume) announced that I had passed over my million miles too.

All in all, it was a really fun experience and at my current rate of travel I'll be at 2MM in another 6 or so years.
EWR764, sinoflyer and Gino Troian like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by ReallyUpInTheAir
Hello All, I thought I'd share my experience of becoming a 1MMer after reading some less than complimentary stories of lack of recognition on here.

I went through my 1MM on a flight from EWR to LHR and just prior to that I got a canned email from Oscar saying I'm close to the 1MM milestone. I thought I would get something via email after the milestone but nothing so initially I was super disappointed. I called up the 1K hotline and they said it's varied as to what happens. A week later, I was in the UA Club at LHR and asked the staff as to what happens when people go through the various MM bands, she replied that typically they have a little ceremony either at the gate or at the UA Club. She said that they didn't have anything booked for me. At that point I was really starting to get even more disillusioned with the "customer care" aspect of UA.

The next day, I took a flight to NRT from EWR and to my surprise, they called my name at the gate, I was already travelling in Polaris so I knew it had to be related to my 1MM or I was being "reaccomodated" for some reason or another. A GS rep congratulated me and preboarded me, she also gave me a card with well wishes for the milestone. As I sat down, the captain came to see me, congratulated me and invited me to the flight deck to have a look see.(I'm training for my PPL so was very curious) I also got a signed copy of the flight plan from the captain. Shortly after, the purser came over and congratulated me too. When we landed in NRT, the purser (I presume) announced that I had passed over my million miles too.

All in all, it was a really fun experience and at my current rate of travel I'll be at 2MM in another 6 or so years.
Squeaky wheel.

I do agree with the sentiment you should not need to ask. With that said, general motto is if you don't ask you will not get and you just proved the adage.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Very nice!

I knew when I was crossing over, so I gave myself a little pat on the back, but for me there was zero recognition day-of from UA. In fact, my (junior sUA) crew didn’t even know the MM program existed!!

As they say, it varies.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:09 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I think 🤔 the recognition issue is a conundrum. Some folks enjoy publicly celebrating these kinds of milestones, others are uncomfortable, me for instance. To me time on airplanes is down-time where I can think and recharge, I’ve never liked unstructured social events, I’m an introvert. I honestly don’t even enjoy when FA’s stop by to simply thank me for my business. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the privileges of being lifetime GS but I prefer to simply go about my life. The point I’m trying to make is United should consider what percentage of people would actually appreciate being publicly recognized for crossing the various MM thresholds. Maybe when they send out their emails they could ask if the individuals want to be recognized.
TriMe, kirkwoodj, brp1264 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM, SPG Platinum
I'm at 999,538 miles. I took a flight today LAX-EWR and was given a 1 Million Miler note card from the gate agent as I boarded. I wasn't expecting this, because this flight was paid for with miles, so it doesn't count towards lifetime status...my next paid flight is in a month to New Zealand, so I thought that was my million miler flight. The FA's on board also acknowledged it, which was very nice of them.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:22 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
They can keep the block and chits....just keep the RPU earning the way it is, and I will be a happy man!
Totally agree, I don’t care for the recognition but I do appreciate the privileges. I’m seriously bummed out about the removal of the RPU awards above 100K miles.
Originally Posted by Asknorm
I crossed 2 MM about two weeks ago. I started the day by taking pictures with everyone who was part of the experience, including the baggage handlers. I checked a bag so they would be part of the day. I made a video of the experience as well. By asking the gate attendants to be part, and sharing what was taking place I think I made it easy for someone to mark the occasion. The pilot came running down the jetway to congratulate me. He also gave me an extended explanantion about the workings in the cockpit. I have been in the cockpit plenty of times but he went beyond the cursory explanation. He allowed me to stay for the entire pre-flight and in fact the Fa had to come tell me to take my seat because we were supposed to leave in 3 minutes. It was great, the start. Chicago segment was underwhelming.
Still no email, card in the mail or anything else that celebrate the milestone. The ironic part was the flight was taking me to work with one of consulting clients, a corporate travel management company. I had purposely scheduled my trip so I would be working with them when I hit the mark. I know they would appreciate it and I shared my story with them. I am a professional speaker so it is going to make it's way into my program.
Not sure how they cannot recognize when someone hits a milestone. This is just crazy and lazy.
I have to ask, did you reach out to UA in advance? I would have been very uncomfortable with your experience, I’m introverted. Fortunately for me I have never been recognized at any of my MM thresholds. At my current rate of travel I will hit 5MM in about 2 years, shortly before retiring. In my case I’m hoping not to be recognized. I throughly appreciate the privileges of FF status, just hold off on the public recognition.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 24, 2018 at 1:03 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Congratulations! Enjoy the perks of 1MM. You did quite well
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh

I have to ask, did you reach out to UA in advance? I would have been very uncomfortable with your experience, I’m introverted. Fortunately for me I have never been recognized at any of my MM thresholds. At my current rate of travel I will hit 5MM in about 2 years, shortly before retiring. In my case I’m hoping not to be recognized. I throughly appreciate the privileges of FF status, just hold off on the public recognition.
After reading the bit to which you were resonding, I fully understand and greatly appreciate your understated response.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Read up on the Companion designation benefit (your +1 will have your status - currently 1K), particularly noting that there are limits to when you can designate someone else, if you choose to. It's an especially great benefit when someone else in your household travels often, but not enough to get Gold+ status.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:40 am

Had 0 recognition for my 1MM flight. Even let United FB know in advance!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bmw303
Had 0 recognition for my 1MM flight. Even let United FB know in advance!
I am in the zero recognition department as well.

I did get the Oscar email and they mailed me a plastic block that says MM on it.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
My trip from CLE-EWR-BOM tomorrow will put me over the top. Curious to see if I'll hear a peep.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA MM
Ha! I don't think I knew I achieved MM status until days later. Certainly nothing from UA that day but it might have been on a ERJ145 or something of that ilk.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:40 am

A bit tacky to be approaching UA staff asking for recognition n'est ce pas?
chavala likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.