Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2007, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by C-5Crewdog
Sorry if I misinterpreted the annoucement you were referring to, but the specific announcement by the Purser that you quoted from LIH Prem was safety related.
That's only one of the many announcements I'm referring to as being 1) stupid and 2) pursers wanting to hear themselves talk. Some of them are FAA related, but most are not.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:05 am
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Originally Posted by shinbal
My last lax-syd flight in '06, the purser went on for eight minutes after takeoff. Brutal. I would have less of a problem with it if they didn't start.......then pause......then start over.....then get interrupted and pause....then start.....and go on.....
Please. It's not nearly as bad as when they do this in English, Japanese, then Mandarin, pausing and such during each speech, NRT-TPE & vv. It's so incredibly annoying (but very useful). On the other hand, it's better than when KLM flies TPE-BKK and they don't have a single Chinese or Thai speaker on board. :-/ (sorry to ramble OT)...
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by 12172003
Most transport jets after I'm guessing 1985, pull up the ATIS on the ACARS. The often have a printer that prints this out for them to attach to the plate holder.
It also depends on the airport. What you describe is what is known as digital ATIS. By receiving that via ACARS, it saves one pilot from having to go to another frequency to listen to and copy the ATIS.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I heard a NW flight today have to make an emergency landing at BOS:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...38/detail.html

Basically what happened is that co-pilot (presumably) came on and told ATC that they needed to stay at FL 23k and go direct Boston (they took off MHT on the way to DTW). The ATC said ok, but he needs more information. At that point a different voice came on (presumably the captain) and said (paraphrasing):

"Yes, sir. We have three thousand pounds of fuel, 100 pax and 5 crew. We just lost an engine and a "cell" is running hot."

Response: "OK, I've declared an emergency and the equipment will be waiting for you in Boston. Turn left XXX vectors for Boston and contact XXX.XX."

---

Glad to see when I landed that the plane landed safetly.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA GS/2MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
"Yes, sir. We have three thousand pounds of fuel, 100 pax and 5 crew. We just lost an engine and a "cell" is running hot."

Response: "OK, I've declared an emergency and the equipment will be waiting for you in Boston. Turn left XXX vectors for Boston and contact XXX.XX."
Happen to know about what time this was, and what station you were listening to? Might be interesting to try and find it on http://www.liveatc.net ...
Old Mar 19, 2007, 6:08 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I got to hear a flight go around on the parallel runway just as we were rolling for takeoff this morning. The captain said they had a wind shear warning at 1000' (I was surprised it would warn so high) and they were going around. The only "funny" part of this perfectly routine occurence was that we were on 02L, he was over 02C, and he kept refusing the right turn to put him back into the pattern and asking for a left turn to put him into our #3 engine

(The weather was all to the right, apparently--also, when he was asked how many knots of wind shear, his response was "we didn't actually notice the wind shear level, the (A320) computer told us wind shear and to go around, so we did, sorry." Nobody in trail reported any problems while we were on frequency... )
Old Mar 19, 2007, 6:34 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
I got to hear a flight go around on the parallel runway just as we were rolling for takeoff this morning.
Location?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
SIN, if you must know
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa
ATC must be able to speak English but other languages are also allowable. That's why you'll hear French in Quebec and in the Ottawa region.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/pu...COM/AnnexA.htm
Good clarification. Everyone spouts off "english it the ATC language", but I listen to ATC online at times (Mexico and Buenos Aires) and never hear English used between domestic airlines and ops.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesdenver
Good clarification. Everyone spouts off "english it the ATC language", but I listen to ATC online at times (Mexico and Buenos Aires) and never hear English used between domestic airlines and ops.
Same for CDG.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
I've been listening to Ch 9 for ages, but Thursday PM was a first for me...We were on 1R taking off out of SFO, with planes landing on 28R and 28L, tower gave the takeoff clearence, we throttled up, moved about 100 ft, then the Tower cancelled the clearence...I said we were stopping to my buddy next to me and a second later we were stopped. My friend was like "How did you know that?" (He is not a regular United flyer) and I clued him in (The captain did do a quick annoucement about few seconds later).

We did a 180 on the runway, went back to the end of the runway, did another 180, and a few minutes later finally took off. There were two planes landing on 28L and 28R again as we took off, and spacing didnt look much different then the first time (although it was kinda cool looking at two planes half a runway down almost over the runways as we were taking off)
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, US CP, *W Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Here's a new one...

...would love a translation--heard last night on the LAX-ORD redeye:

UA: Spotted the ELP 60 miles west of Kirksville (sp?)
ATC: Roger, thanks for that info.

What's an ELP???
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Originally Posted by dogmom11
...would love a translation--heard last night on the LAX-ORD redeye:

UA: Spotted the ELP 60 miles west of Kirksville (sp?)
ATC: Roger, thanks for that info.

What's an ELP???
ELT?
http://www.avionix.com/elt.html
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, US CP, *W Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Could be...I was pretty sleepy. Thanks!!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
I was on UA876 about six months ago NRT->SEA when we had to execute a missed approach. It was interesting to hear the exchange between the cockpit and ATC.

We were at 4000 feet making a visual approach into SEA, weather was clear but hazy.

TOWER: UA876, traffic at ten o'clock 3000 feet is an Alaska 737 for the parallel

UA876: We're looking

(About 30 seconds go by and having flown into SEA many, many times, I know we should be going lower in order to land.)

UA876: Tower, we are going to need lower soon if we are going to land

TOWER: Do you have visual on the traffic for the parallel?

UA876: Negative, we are still looking

TOWER: If you can't see him you can't land

UA876: It's kind of hazy and we are having trouble picking him out

TOWER: UA876, turn right heading XXX...

At this point, we executed a missed approach and looped around to get into the pattern again. Interesting in a 777 at 4000 feet. On the next approach we again had traffic in front of us for the parallel. Luckily this time the pilots were able to see the traffic and we landed without incident.

Last edited by woodway; Apr 18, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.