Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Channel 9 zinger of the day (slightly off color)

[ATC, male, deep voice] United xxx, contact tower on yyy.zz.

[female pilot with a rather attractive voice] yyy.zz, roger,
so long.

[ATC] I know. [dissolves into laughter]
Old Mar 3, 2007, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by jd2000
The verbal listing of what movies are available, what beverages are available, how much a cocktail costs, what time it is at your destination city, etc., are probably not required by the FAA and certainly have nothing to do with safety. The OP probably is referring to these since they're right around the switch to departure frequency, rather than the safety announcements, which are on the ground and maybe during a less interesting time. The complaint is probably still not with the Purser but rather with UA's policies on service-related announcements, unless individual crew members are extraneously ad-libbing.
Those announcements are required by UA's SOPs.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:31 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ILUV767
Exactly. Not by the FAA.
Originally Posted by C5crewdog
Actually, safety announcements are required both while in the air and on the ground. The OP was referring to a specific announcement:
Ah missed that -- couldn't have been bothered to read the OP, sorry

Didn't think he meant that one, that one's usually pretty short as they're scrambling to get what they need done. The only announcement that I normally witness going on waaayyyyy too long is the UA service-related one, not the safety ones.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 4:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

My last lax-syd flight in '06, the purser went on for eight minutes after takeoff. Brutal. I would have less of a problem with it if they didn't start.......then pause......then start over.....then get interrupted and pause....then start.....and go on.....
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by shinbal
My last lax-syd flight in '06, the purser went on for eight minutes after takeoff. Brutal. I would have less of a problem with it if they didn't start.......then pause......then start over.....then get interrupted and pause....then start.....and go on.....
Exactly. That ain't part of the SOP.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Sneezy
FWIW, I'd highly suspect the People's Republic of China for one. In fact, I'd be downright surprised if one were allowed to listen to ATC there.
Be surprised!

I don't know what the official rules are, but you can listen to ATC from pushback to landing in SFO, as well as from somewhere in northern China until you park at the gate when coming in to PEK on 889. No attempts to turn of Ch 9! (Hooray!)

It's fun to listen to the Chinese style of air traffic control. ("You, yeah, whatever, go there... uh huh... whatever, yeah, I guess you can push back... uh huh... one sec, I need a cigarette... you guys try not to crash into each other while I'm lighting up, alright?")
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:42 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
It's unfortunate that on landing, a lengthy purser speech of some required info and much company info (check the monitors for your latest connection information; we know you have a choice of airlines; if this is your home, drive carefully and come back to see us again) comes just at the handoff from tower's local control to ground control. If ATC weren't "stepped on" at that point, I could find out what our gate was a good 5-10 mins. before we get there.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:47 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by C-5Crewdog
What part of the FAA mandated safety announcements constitute a "stupid message".
It's almost never the safety announcement that whacks interesting channel 9 exchanges, but rather the purser wanting to hear themselves ramble on for 5 minutes about BOB and the movie.

To answer you question more directly, I find the entire safety announcement to be stupid, but that's another thread in the making.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: UA1P
Originally Posted by JRF
Morse code is no longer required.
The morse code identifier is always required. It is very common that the VOR goes down for maintance. The VOR might be broadcasting an erronenous signal. The only way to determine this is if there is no identifier or the ident is TEST. The acronym TITS is for tune, IDENTIFY, twist and set goes for all a/c. Some nav heads auto-identify such as on a 777 (IIRC) (probably honeywell) and a Garmin SL30.

Most transport jets after I'm guessing 1985, pull up the ATIS on the ACARS. The often have a printer that prints this out for them to attach to the plate holder. Newer GA a/c can pull this up on G430/530, Avidyne, G1000 or other MFD. This often requires XM Satellite capability or a separate receiver/decoder.

ATIS is usually updated at around 50 minutes past the hour....not at 20 minutes past the hour. Also updated if wether conditions change dramatically. AIM 4-1-13 covers ATIS.

On some VOR's, HIWAS is broadcast over the voice portion of the frequency. This is high intensity weather info such as tornadoes, thunderstorms, etc.

I *think* when you tune a VOR such 113.9, it not only tunes one frequency but at least one other. So you are actually getting two frequencies. One is nav and one is voice. Similar to any ILS where you tune the localizer frequency and the nav head automatically tunes in the glide slope even though the GS is a different frequency and even a different antenna on the plane.

And to answer a FAQ of pilots, no you don't have to file a flight plan (or get VFR flight following) so no one knows what you are doing and an airport tower might not know you are coming until 6 miles out. The way you say you are landing is, well, you don't. All you have to say is "Podunk, Cirrus XY123, 10 east, 2000, bravo." Who you are talking to (Podunk tower), who you are, where you are (altitude helps) and that you have information Bravo. "information" just ties up airtime without providing any additional info and "landing" is implied.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 5:47 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by violist
[ATC, male, deep voice] United xxx, contact tower on yyy.zz.

[female pilot with a rather attractive voice] yyy.zz, roger,
so long.

[ATC] I know. [dissolves into laughter]
I smell a sexual harrassment lawsuit
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by C-5Crewdog
What part of the FAA mandated safety announcements constitute a "stupid message". If you have issues with what they are required to say, your complaint is with the FAA, not the Purser.
You are assuming I'm talking about the FAA messages. Your assumption is wrong.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Doesn't make them any less stupid. Actually it makes them more stupid because they're systematic and not the whim of the purser.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
You are assuming I'm talking about the FAA messages. Your assumption is wrong.
Sorry if I misinterpreted the annoucement you were referring to, but the specific announcement by the Purser that you quoted from LIH Prem was safety related.

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
ATC: United 778, there's been a mild earthquake at SFO and they are going to do a visual inspection of the run ...

Purser on PA: In preparation for landing ...
It seems whenever Ch 9 is on the purser always wants to hear himself/herself talk and they take forever to finish up their stupid messages. Arg.
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
It's almost never the safety announcement that whacks interesting channel 9 exchanges, but rather the purser wanting to hear themselves ramble on for 5 minutes about BOB and the movie.

To answer you question more directly, I find the entire safety announcement to be stupid, but that's another thread in the making.
Agreed!!! ^
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
If ATC weren't "stepped on" at that point, I could find out what our gate was a good 5-10 mins. before we get there.
I'm not sure of the value of knowing which gate you'll be parking at in advance, but if you subscribe to EasyUpdate, you can turn on your phone after landing and usually find out from the flight arrival message.

Note that I said "usually." Obviously irregular operations will have an impact.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:08 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by g_leyser
I smell a sexual harrassment lawsuit

When you hear a male pilot say, "C u next time", to a female controller it's generally not meant in a very kind way ... and yes, there have been some complaints brought against pilots as a result ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.