Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
LAX-SFO on 753 didn't expect it as 753's don't have ch9 yet but in FC Lav right before landing could hear thru the wall w the cockpit "TRAFFIC! TRAFFIC! TRAFFIC! Now that could not have been good
Not a big deal at all. Get those ALL the time.

I'm sure you are familiar with TCAS (Traffic Collision and Avoidance System).
What you heard was a TA (Traffic Advisory). It's basically a "heads up".
We are not required, nor expected, to maneuver based on a TA.
eg: I'm in a climb to a cleared altitude of 10,000' and another aircraft is in a descent to a cleared altitude of 12,000'. If our flight paths are converging the TCAS system may issue a TA. The system does not know that we are cleared to level off at different altitudes.

However, let's say that one of us misses our level off. The TCAS system may then elevate to an RA (Resolution Advisory). In that case, in additon to an oral command such as "Climb, Climb Now" we get an avoidance display on our flight instruments. The TCAS system interrogates the transponders of both aircraft and coordinates the RA between them. We comply with the RA commands and notify ATC that we are doing so.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by ualp

eg: I'm in a climb to a cleared altitude of 10,000' and another aircraft is in a descent to a cleared altitude of 12,000'. If our flight paths are converging the TCAS system may issue a TA. The system does not know that we are cleared to level off at different altitudes.

However, let's say that one of us misses our level off. The TCAS system may then elevate to an RA (Resolution Advisory). In that case, in additon to an oral command such as "Climb, Climb Now" we get an avoidance display on our flight instruments. The TCAS system interrogates the transponders of both aircraft and coordinates the RA between them. We comply with the RA commands and notify ATC that we are doing so.
I know . I've heard it go off many times, especially landing in LHR. But even though the front of my brain knows its normal & just an extra reminder you guys probably don't need most of the time (cuz your already aware of the traffic around you), it's still a little disconcerting to here it thru the lav wall when descending. I can't quite figure out what to grab on to & as a guy, that's a problem
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 3MM, Lifetime 1K, Lifetime UC, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, CMEL pilot
Originally Posted by jastr
Delta ###: Center, Delta ###. Who is in front of us of us at three-eight-zero?
Denver Center: That's November [something] seven-sixty-seven.
Denver Center: We're all trying to figure out who could afford a seven-sixty-seven privately.

I'm not sure I got it verbatim, but something close anyway. Didn't the google founders buy a 767?
Paul Allen has a 767

Deek
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: AA UA (2P) US
Any Funny ATC chatter heard on CH-9

Hello all I was wondering if you have any funny, strange, or just plane odd ATC chatter on UA with CH-9 post it maybe?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I heard something the first time I ever listened during a landing that made me never want to listen again. Something like, (and I am totally paraphrasing!)...

Air Traffic Control: Turn Right
Pilot: huh?
ATC: Right! Turn right.
Pilot: Right?
ATC: Come again?
Pilot: what?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
Taking off from MSY a few months back (and I'll paraphrase too):

ATC: UAxxx, climb to 10,000 ft and contact departure
Pilot: Roger, by the way, we hit a bird on takeoff
ATC: Any damage?
Pilot: Hmmmmm, let me check (few seconds pause, right where you don't want to hear it).
Pilot: Nah, all looks good, just needed it logged.
ATC: Roger that.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
A few months back:

Coyote on the runway at ORD.

Meteor landing somewhere in Ohio that lit up the sky.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by ualp

Wasn't there a crash when TCAS and ATC disagreed about the avoidance manoeuver needed? One pilot followed ATC's directive, the other TCAS : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Überlin...-air_collision
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by chavala
I heard something the first time I ever listened during a landing that made me never want to listen again. Something like, (and I am totally paraphrasing!)...

Air Traffic Control: Turn Right
Pilot: huh?
ATC: Right! Turn right.
Pilot: Right?
ATC: Come again?
Pilot: what?
Sounds like the take-off scene in the movie "Airplane"
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA UA (2P) US
UA flight from SFO-DEN on final

UAXXX: Denver tower UnitedXXX with you
DEN tower: UA XXX cleared to Land #2 fallowing the CRJ
UAXXX: Cleared to land #2
Denver tower: SkywestYYY Exit runway when able
SkyWestYYY: Exit Runway when able
Denver Tower: United XXX go around bad spacing sorry
UAXXX: Goiing around United XXX
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:50 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
While at IAH a few days ago, I hear the ramp advise an incomming UA flight that because the cargo on the plane had been mistakingly loaded aft-heavy, the captain was informed that when they pulled into the gate, the jetbridge would not be connected until the rampers had a chance to remove some items from the hold.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
While at IAH a few days ago, I hear the ramp advise an incomming UA flight that because the cargo on the plane had been mistakingly loaded aft-heavy, the captain was informed that when they pulled into the gate, the jetbridge would not be connected until the rampers had a chance to remove some items from the hold.
That brings to mind a picture I've seen of a UA plane with its tail resting on the ground and its nose in the air, front wheel way off the ground. I think someone posted it on FT, but I can't find it.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, Home - General Member
Originally Posted by snic
That brings to mind a picture I've seen of a UA plane with its tail resting on the ground and its nose in the air, front wheel way off the ground. I think someone posted it on FT, but I can't find it.
Not a United plane here, but same principle.

Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by snic
Yup- Here's the CO plane that fell into a sinkhole.

Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Yup- Here's the CO plane that fell into a sinkhole.
Another one from a few years back:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.