Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by London Control
If you're ever flying out of or into LHR and you hear a controller say "Hi Channel niners", that'll be me. Only when it's quiet enough to do so though!
I'll be listening on 4-Dec at about 0600 GMT
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
If you're ever flying out of or into LHR and you hear a controller say "Hi Channel niners", that'll be me. Only when it's quiet enough to do so though!
^^
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jackal
^^
^^ redux!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
I've heard you before. Was only half-awake and never honestly knew if I was just hearing things. Have to love FT.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 0P
Delta ###: Center, Delta ###. Who is in front of us of us at three-eight-zero?
Denver Center: That's November [something] seven-sixty-seven.
Denver Center: We're all trying to figure out who could afford a seven-sixty-seven privately.

I'm not sure I got it verbatim, but something close anyway. Didn't the google founders buy a 767?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
Originally Posted by jastr
Delta ###: Center, Delta ###. Who is in front of us of us at three-eight-zero?
Denver Center: That's November [something] seven-sixty-seven.
Denver Center: We're all trying to figure out who could afford a seven-sixty-seven privately.

I'm not sure I got it verbatim, but something close anyway. Didn't the google founders buy a 767?
Yet another great story and example of why I love United's use of Ch. 9.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:12 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Here's one from yesterday, Salt Lake City Center's (ZLC) airspace, over middle Nevada.

A private jet, westbound, asked Center if it knew what that large tower was sticking out of the ground pretty much straight below their current position.

ZLC: I don't really know, but considering that's mainly all U.S. Gov't property down there, I'd have to say it's a structure of unknown nature.

Aircraft: OK, I understand.

ZLC: I thought that was a pretty good Government answer.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA1K
On UA949 yesterday from ORD to DEN.

XX123 to tower: "We have a weight problem, we are going to need a couple of minutes"
Unidentified: "I also have a weight problem"
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: Platinum
UA 298 LAX to HNL this Thursday. Near Maui, the flight crew notified HNL that they were being lasered. They got a phone number to call... I hope they catch the jerk.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
I heard something odd recently on a UA 767: the pilot and ATC identified our flight as "United XXX kilo heavy". What does "kilo" mean? Of course it could be some acronym that I'm not spelling right, but it sounded like "kilo".
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by snic
I heard something odd recently on a UA 767: the pilot and ATC identified our flight as "United XXX kilo heavy". What does "kilo" mean? Of course it could be some acronym that I'm not spelling right, but it sounded like "kilo".
"duplicate" flight
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Feb 28, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Here's one from yesterday, Salt Lake City Center's (ZLC) airspace, over middle Nevada.

A private jet, westbound, asked Center if it knew what that large tower was sticking out of the ground pretty much straight below their current position.

ZLC: I don't really know, but considering that's mainly all U.S. Gov't property down there, I'd have to say it's a structure of unknown nature.

Aircraft: OK, I understand.

ZLC: I thought that was a pretty good Government answer.
It could have also been one of the Crescent Dues Solar Project's power towers. Once built, this will be a pretty unique landmark from the air. A buch of mirrors focused on a 640' tower. Constuction started in Sept 2011 and I think they just errected one of the towers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescen...Energy_Project
Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Airline/flight info changed to protect the innocent:

Flight A: Ground, Oceanic nine-two-four is with you.
Ground: Uh...
Flight A: ...how about Oceanic nine-four-four-Tango?
Ground: That's better. Oceanic nine-four-four-Tango, taxi via Lima.
Flight B: Ground, we know who we are. Oceanic six-three-eight is with you.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
LAX-SFO on 753 didn't expect it as 753's don't have ch9 yet but in FC Lav right before landing could hear thru the wall w the cockpit "TRAFFIC! TRAFFIC! TRAFFIC! Now that could not have been good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.