Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
There are some intersting ATC "personalities" heard on UA's Channel 9. That is, controllers who have a distinct style. Here are four of my favorites:

1. A Cleveland en-route controller who greets every aircraft that checks on with "welcome!" For example, "United 578, Cleveland Center, welcome!"

2. A Boston terminal area controller who dispatches every aircraft with "adios!" For example, "United 881, Boston departure, contact center on 119 and a quarter. Adios!"

3. A Boston tower controller who turns over flights to the terminal area controller with a distinct, and pronounced Boston accent. For example, "United 172, contact dePAHTyah on 123.75."

4. And my favorite, a SOCAL terminal area controller who greets flights with, "United 163, thanks for contacting the Hector Sector Vector Director!"
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Crossing the central valley of California, decending towards SFO on 7/24/2010aboard UA 733, I heard Oakland Center clear Boeing 2 up to flight level 40,000. This was followed by a brief discussion regarding maneuvers that the flight would be doing.

Today I got a chance to check flightaware, and sure enough it looks like 787 test flight. Can't wait to be on one of those.

Edit: btw, some of the altitude & speed logs for the test flights look pretty interesting, e.g., http://flightaware.com/live/flight/B.../KBFI/tracklog
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by UNITED959
This past Sunday I was on UA2.

When we switched from the Chicago center to ORD Tower, our pilot did the usual intro, "O'Hare Tower this is UA 2 out of x,xxx for x,xxx."

The tower responded, "Aloha UA 2..."

I mean, I'm sure he could have just looked at his screen to see we were coming from HNL, but his response was so quick he's obviously been around a while to know that UA 1 & UA 2 are the ORD-HNL-ORD flights.
I was lucky enough to have parents who lived in and fell in love with the islands before they made the mistake of bringing my sister and I into this world. I spent two months every summer in HNL/LIH I remember when I first noticed the #1/#2 convention (back when the DC-10 was state-of-the-art and any flight to the islands meant a connection through HNL). I don't know why but I have always loved that they keep those flight numbers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 27, 2010 at 8:54 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by endrond

Edit: btw, some of the altitude & speed logs for the test flights look pretty interesting, e.g., http://flightaware.com/live/flight/B.../KBFI/tracklog
Wow! 30K foot drop in just a couple of minutes (5:57-5:59). That's got to be quite the sensation.

Anyone know the rate of decent when the "vomit comet" represents a zero-g setting?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Cohall
Wow! 30K foot drop in just a couple of minutes (5:57-5:59). That's got to be quite the sensation.

Anyone know the rate of decent when the "vomit comet" represents a zero-g setting?
In the vomit comet, the zero-g begins during ascent. But the forces in the later part of descent are 2x gravity (but I guess in the other direction).

But a 30,000 foot descent in a minute or two - wow! The Vomit Comment only descends 6 or 7 thousand feet in a similar time.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
Instrumentation error. Look further down 43K, 10K 30K one minute apart!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:20 am

Air Pacific 411, caution heavy wake turblance from large Airbus (380)...

You're a Good Man Charlie Brown, American XXXX is cleared to Jamestown
Old Aug 13, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
This thread is for things "...heard on," in the past tense. But here's something we will soon hear on Ch9 (in the future tense).

As of September 30, instead of "United 888, runway 31, position and hold," we'll hear, "United 888, runway 31, line up and wait."

ICAO got its way with the FAA.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
This thread is for things "...heard on," in the past tense. But here's something we will soon hear on Ch9 (in the future tense).

As of September 30, instead of "United 888, runway 31, position and hold," we'll hear, "United 888, runway 31, line up and wait."

One less syllable ^
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
Originally Posted by wxguy

It's the international standard. And it avoids the phrase "hold" which usually means stopping before entering [a runway, taxiway] as opposed to waiting on the runway.

Does anyone know if this has actually been a problem?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
Sunday, August 15 -- I was on UA 272 from SFO-LAX. We departed on Runway 1L and did the standard left turn to 280 degrees over Daly City and then received our clearance direct to Avenal, which put us on a 130 degree (southeast) heading.

America 1929 was the next departure off of 1L and trailed us the entire way. When we were abeam (approximately) Gilroy, CA, Oakland ATC put us on an 80 degree heading for "3 to 5" minutes for spacing into LA. The female controller gave the same instructions to the AA pilot and he was not happy. He kept peppering her with questions about why the change in heading and how far ahead of him was the next aircraft in the sequence. His tone was quite nasty and condescending. After 3 or 4 questions, she just stopped acknowledging his transmissions. Sure enough, both aircraft were put back on course after 3 minutes or so.

I thought the AA pilot was rude and unprofessional, and I'm glad the UA pilot did not have an attitude.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:34 pm

Erroneous hit

On a transcon last night listening to Ch 9. Just after a plane passes under us in opposite direction, ATC goes "UAXXX, erroneous hit alert, please confirm altitude 37,000 feet" or something along those lines. I guess the ATC's system had us at a different altitude and thought we hit a passing plane? Is this commonplace?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by endrond
Crossing the central valley of California, decending towards SFO on 7/24/2010aboard UA 733, I heard Oakland Center clear Boeing 2 up to flight level 40,000. This was followed by a brief discussion regarding maneuvers that the flight would be doing.

Today I got a chance to check flightaware, and sure enough it looks like 787 test flight. Can't wait to be on one of those.

Wow looks like they went right up to the 787s service ceiling of FL430!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
On the ground at DEN today, controller asked us to hold short for a SkyWest (UX) CRJ and follow it. She said, "Follow the RJ, he'll be following the company 75." Our captain didn't hesitate in responding, "Oh, I didn't know they operated 75s now!"
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Yesterday our flight was delayed 3+ hours due to mechanical and finally left ORD around 11 pm.

Chicago: UA xxx, contact Cleveland on 12x.xx, have a good night.
UA xxx: It's too late for that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.