Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 22, 18, 5:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 1, 06, 7:59 pm

Programs: ex AA EXP now a Free Soul
less boring

[QUOTE=stevenshev]The bloody AF pilots always sign off wherever they are with "au revoir." (And, I admit, I LOVE it, in spite of its obnoxiousness!)

It makes the world less boring to have a touch like that. I admit I like it too.
Au revoir....
Old Nov 1, 06, 8:47 pm

Programs: United 1K - Starwood LifetimePlatinum - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum - Singapore Airlines PPS
Bonne nuit.
Old Nov 1, 06, 9:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Monday October 2nd on UA3, the beginning of our Honey moon. Lots of weather at ORD (it rained ALOT later that day), both us and UA1 were filled to the rim with fuel and pax, so we were pretty much the only heavies around at the time who needed lots of runway. We needed spacing between 2 crossing runways and the tower/ground was extremely busy.

After waiting at the end of the runway for around 45 minutes, they changed runways and we needed to taxi to the other end of the same runway. UA1 started to worry about the gas, so while taxiing he bugged the tower for the about 10th time: "eeeehhh Tower, United 1 here, we're getting close to needing more gas now, when do you estimate we will be able to go?" Tower replied immediately: "Tuesday"

We actually both got outta there immediately
Old Nov 1, 06, 11:44 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by seakobi
I really enjoy Channel 9 - it's humorous but also very educating. One pilot I had recently chose different 'goodbye' slogans (from different languages) when he was moving from one frequency to another!

I've noticed that I don't always know what they are talking about when listening - ie: vectoring the final, 'snowbird xxx', 'jetski', etc.

I found a great site (http://www.flightaware.com) that has some very cool stuff but the entire process really interests me. No - I'm not in the market for a career change, just would like to know a bit more.

Also - is the flight simulator anything worth exploring? I'd love to be in the cockpit jumpseat one day to just watch how the entire process happens.

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Don't worry, if you hang around here much, you'll start picking up on a lot of the jargon, without even realizing it. As for career changes... hey, who hasn't thought it would be cool to fly a plane? ^
Old Jan 18, 07, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Today's Gem

Thu 1/18 DEN-BOS

UAxxxx: Minnie Center, UAxxxx, flight level 350.
Center: UAxxxx, Minneapolis Center, roger. Say wind?
UAxxxx: Wind 250 at 186, UAxxxx.
Center: Roger, you don't see that too often. It's pretty remarkable!
Unkown a/c: Not if you're going the other way!

Our wheels-up to wheels-down time DEN-BOS was 2:45! They barely squeezed in the movie.
Old Jan 18, 07, 7:07 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
Thu 1/18 DEN-BOS

UAxxxx: Minnie Center, UAxxxx, flight level 350.
Center: UAxxxx, Minneapolis Center, roger. Say wind?
UAxxxx: Wind 250 at 186, UAxxxx.
Center: Roger, you don't see that too often. It's pretty remarkable!
Unkown a/c: Not if you're going the other way!

Our wheels-up to wheels-down time DEN-BOS was 2:45! They barely squeezed in the movie.
-----------
NRT - SFO a few years ago was so fast, the flight info display said we hit 710 -- MPH, not KPH. Fastest I've gone that I'm aware of. Short flight.
Old Jan 18, 07, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
This may be true in some countries but not in the United States. Here ATIS is rarely on a navigation frequency and normal updates are hourly.
Hi LarryJ - any chance you could explain how a nav signal and ATIS could (in cases where the would) co-exist on the same frequency? Are they modulated differently? Some sort of sideband issue? I've never understood how aircraft radios were able to perform multiple functions...
Old Jan 18, 07, 7:19 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
And I thought I was going to answer.
Old Jan 18, 07, 8:30 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Javan69 View Post
-----------
NRT - SFO a few years ago was so fast, the flight info display said we hit 710 -- MPH, not KPH. Fastest I've gone that I'm aware of. Short flight.
I was doing about 405 LHR-ORD last week. The flight from wheels up to wheels down took over 10 hours. I was pissed. An FA I know said that her LHR-IAD flight took 9h45.
Old Jan 18, 07, 8:46 pm

Programs: the human race
on NRT-SFO..."United 838 heavey turn heading blah blah blah for routing into SFO"

"United 838 heavey with a request; can we have routing blah blah blah direct to SFO for a MECH."

I didn't understand the ATC speak but it sounded like the longer routing was a problem, but I guess not as bad of a problem that would require an immediate vector. this was about 25 minutes before landing.

what kind of mechanical problem could this have been?
Old Jan 18, 07, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust View Post
what kind of mechanical problem could this have been?
It could be anything. It's always better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than vice versa.
Old Jan 18, 07, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jakebeth View Post
Hi LarryJ - any chance you could explain how a nav signal and ATIS could (in cases where the would) co-exist on the same frequency? Are they modulated differently? Some sort of sideband issue? I've never understood how aircraft radios were able to perform multiple functions...
All navaids have a morse code identifier. Some navaids also have a voice. "Seattle VOR"
A navaid can transmit a morse code as easily as an ATIS.
Old Jan 18, 07, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Jakebeth View Post
It's fairly common to have a NAVAID freq transmit more than just the morse code ID. Normally they'll have an area weather observation (AWOS); but if the NAVAID is co-located with an airport the ATIS or like weather and info will be broadcast. Most general aviation radios have the capability to receive either the identifier or the voice broadcast -- flick of a switch.

Sorry can't explain the technology that enables this; results are more important than the method!
Old Jan 19, 07, 12:21 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR, HH, IHG, Accor. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by wilp888 View Post
I noticed Channel 9 was not turned on while UA862 was pushing back in HKG a few days ago and asked the FA walking by and 30 seconds later, it came on and HKG is definitely ROC even though it is technically a SAR.
Hong Kong is NOT part of the Republic of China (ROC), it's part of the People's Republic of China (PRC)! And if PRC has regulations against Channel 9, it wouldn't apply to HK. (I know for sure aviation frequency receivers are legal in HK, so why not in the air?)

The Basic Law of HKSAR specifies which mainland (PRC) laws apply to HK, and there are very few.
Old Jan 19, 07, 12:25 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR, HH, IHG, Accor. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by jacob_m View Post
I agree, during taxing, take-off, approach and landing it's interesting, but I wouldn't spend a full 8-12 hour transatlantic flight listening to channel 9.
The rest of the flight it's mostly about switching from one frequency to another, some minor changes in altitude etc.
Haven't flown UA trans-Pacific for close to a decade. Do they still report positions over the ocean? (If they do and you can hear it, and you have looked up the flight plan on FlightAware prior to departure, it would be better info than what's displayed [or even available for Y pax] on board.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: