Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 22, 18, 5:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 25, 05, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Sneezy
FWIW, I'd highly suspect the People's Republic of China for one. In fact, I'd be downright surprised if one were allowed to listen to ATC there.
I've listened while flying over the ROC. Whether we were allowed to or not, I can not say.

Oh, and over Taiwan it works (which is technically ROC).
Old Sep 25, 05, 3:47 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by qasr
On departure & approach it is interesting, and the movies aren't playing anyway
I agree, during taxing, take-off, approach and landing it's interesting, but I wouldn't spend a full 8-12 hour transatlantic flight listening to channel 9.
The rest of the flight it's mostly about switching from one frequency to another, some minor changes in altitude etc.
Old Sep 25, 05, 4:50 pm

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
Originally Posted by jacob_m
I agree, during taxing, take-off, approach and landing it's interesting, but I wouldn't spend a full 8-12 hour transatlantic flight listening to channel 9.
The rest of the flight it's mostly about switching from one frequency to another, some minor changes in altitude etc.
Plus the occasional banter between cockpits and ATC.

Once heard 4 of 5 planes placing lunch orders.
Old Sep 25, 05, 6:06 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by spotwelder
The ATIS is often recorded on a navigation aid frequency such as the VOR used for holding. ... The ATIS is usually updated twice an hour, commonly at minutes 20 and 50 past the hour.
This may be true in some countries but not in the United States. Here ATIS is rarely on a navigation frequency and normal updates are hourly.
Old Sep 25, 05, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat., IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I've listened while flying over the ROC. Whether we were allowed to or not, I can not say.

Oh, and over Taiwan it works (which is technically ROC).
I noticed Channel 9 was not turned on while UA862 was pushing back in HKG a few days ago and asked the FA walking by and 30 seconds later, it came on and HKG is definitely ROC even though it is technically a SAR.
Old Sep 25, 05, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL FO, UA Silver, IHG Spire IC, MR Gold, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by olympicnut
I heard the FUNNIEST thing on Ch 9 yesterday sitting in line (we were #12 at the time, OY!) waiting to take off from PHL. Some Chatauqua flight asked ground "Can we get a list of departure order" or something like that and the controller, with total attitude (think Wanda Sykes) said "WHO JUST ASKED ME THAT! I have already said the departure order twice in the past 5 minutes so who just asked me that again!" The poor pilot apologized and she ran through the list again. I was chuckling outloud it was so funny. Her delivery is what made it so hysterical to me.
Funny. A lot of the controllers now are making more than airline pilots.... at least for narrowbody pilots. And absolutely make more than the regional pilots do. Guess they're carrying a 'tude.
Old Sep 26, 05, 8:21 am
dawei

Originally Posted by wilp888
I noticed Channel 9 was not turned on while UA862 was pushing back in HKG a few days ago and asked the FA walking by and 30 seconds later, it came on and HKG is definitely ROC even though it is technically a SAR.
BUT it technicaly chooses its own laws until 2046 (great movie by the way)....

Old Dec 3, 05, 7:40 am

Programs: UAL 1P, NWA
Ch 9 and watching the world go by

After many years of travel, I am still irresistably drawn to looking out the window. The sight of another plane nearby livens up the view. I'm also a devoted ch 9 listener. I especially like catching conversation between an "unusual" passing flight and ATC. Unusual meaning an airline I rarely hear, or one that is from far off. I love hearing the accent, say of an Air Tahiti Nui pilot bound for Paris, when I am on a more prosaic transcon trip.
A few days ago, returning north from MCO, I caught conversation between an SAA flight and ATC. A first hit for me with SA. No more than a minute or two later I see an A340 crossing our path perhaps 1 mile behind and 2000 ft below. Close enough to spot the SAA colors easily. The first time I have been able to connect ch 9 and the view. Are there any other in-flight spotters out there, or am I alone in my fascination?
Old Dec 3, 05, 8:59 am

You are not alone
Old Dec 3, 05, 9:10 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, US, SW, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors
I was not aware that you could listen to certain pilot communications via channel 9. Is that the case with most airlines or is this a United thing?
Old Dec 3, 05, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
A United thing.. a nice added perk for many of us United devotees
Old Dec 3, 05, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still captivated by Channel 9 because it's really the only kind of onboard entertainment that is truly unscripted and uncontrived. You have no idea what you will hear from flight to flight. ^

From a marketing perspective, Channel 9 is great because for some (obviously some others don't give a hoot about "geek-talk"), Channel 9 provides that extra emotional connection that really seals in someone's loyalty to a brand and an airline. I'm sure you devotees out there love telling everyone else that Channel 9 is a United-only thing.
Old Dec 3, 05, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ILUV767
You are not alone

Me too. But channel 9 often is just long periods of silence. Getting a home radio scanner helps too.
Old Dec 3, 05, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I'm a Channel 9 junkie. Sometimes, though, listening can make your heart race. On a recent flight a Beech 19 landing in Denver had problems on final approach and asked to be vectored out to review the problems. A few minutes later that approach control asked two or three times (without response) if there was something she could do to assist. Finally, the Beech pilot came back on and said that they were having problems getting the flaps to go down. In the end, they landed sans flaps--fast and long--but everyone was safe and sound.
Old Dec 3, 05, 10:32 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I never miss the opportunity to try to "visual" an ATC call to our aircraft as to "traffic". I've also had the opposite: in SoCal Approach's airspace, with no advance traffic call, seeing Navy traffic seemingly less than 1,000 ft. separated and less than a mile zoom under us. When questioned by our Captain, SoCal apologized for the "pop-up" traffic. (Would have been nice to see the radar tracks on that one). What's interesting is to see how an "in-air" visualization of potentially conflicting traffic differs from the radar distance. In almost all cases, the "visualization" seems much more distant than the ATC advisory, as it should be.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: