Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:28 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
why don't they turn this into a sort of regular program on one of the audio channels? Seems like it generates a fair bit of interest, and would be interesting for inexperienced/nervous fliers.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA/Prem Exec, HH/Gold, TW/Gold
Originally Posted by dmach
Many of the flights out my way seem to still use the HP "Cactus" call sign ...
That's because they are keeping the CACTUS radio callsign, even though they are keeping the US Airways corporate name.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA/Prem Exec, HH/Gold, TW/Gold
Favorite Channel 9 event ...

Some time in the 90s, I was on a "Shuttle" flight LAX-SFO, when they were running every 30 minutes or so. SFO was fogged in, so we were doing donuts in the sky off the coast, around Monterey. Let's say we were UNITED 123. The flight that left 30 minutes earlier than us, let's call them UNITED 456. We were both in the same sector, and after a while, the controller lost track of who was there first. Finally, he said:

C: UNITED 123 & 456, I have one slot that just opened up ... which one of you wants it?

My guy jumped on it:

123: Oh heck, let 123 have it ...
C: Thanks, UNITED 123 turn right heading 110 ...

And 456 got on and said "Hey, wait a minute!"

My guy chuckled and said "Oh, sorry, yeah, 456 should get it ..."

5-out-of-8 of us up front were listening, and we all laughed out loud; the other 3 passengers had no idea what we were laughing about

Last edited by jmhayes; Sep 10, 2007 at 2:43 pm
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
yup and you will then become so in tune to your flight's call sign that something like this ("center, united 281, it appears we might have a slight problem with our pressurization system") will cause even the most extremely tired person to wake up instantly.
It is strange, but as a pilot I'm able to tune out ATC when I'm flying a plane unless my callsign comes up. My brain for some reason tunes in right away when I hear my callsign, but unless I'm listening for it I don't really hear the other traffic much. Flying United and listening to channel 9, my brain is able to do the same thing for our callsign. I am not sure what the psychologists would call this.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA1P
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
It is strange, but as a pilot I'm able to tune out ATC when I'm flying a plane unless my callsign comes up. .. Flying United and listening to channel 9, my brain is able to do the same thing for our callsign. I am not sure what the psychologists would call this.
It isn't strange. It's normal for pilots. A lot of it is that you expect a call at all times and often times you know exactly when they are going to call and often what they are going to say so it isn't a real surprise.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:24 pm

Programs: GS MM United, Hilton Diamond, ICH Gold, Mariott Silver, TWA Plat MM (just for old times sake)
It is strange, but as a pilot I'm able to tune out ATC when I'm flying a plane unless my callsign comes up. My brain for some reason tunes in right away when I hear my callsign, but unless I'm listening for it I don't really hear the other traffic much. Flying United and listening to channel 9, my brain is able to do the same thing for our callsign. I am not sure what the psychologists would call this.
It's called practice... You do it so often it becomes automatic.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:33 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by dmach
I often hear something like this when controllers refer to US planes. Many of the flights out my way seem to still use the HP "Cactus" call sign, but they will say "Cactus 412 in the new colors, ready to taxi", for example.
I believe that is because US and HP are still separate airlines, as far as FAA operations is concerned. Their operating certificates have not yet been merged.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Old NFO
It's called practice... You do it so often it becomes automatic.
Actually, I believe neurologists would call it the reticular activating system. It's what lets snoozing mothers tune out car alarms and TV noises, and immediately wake up if her baby so much as gurgles.

We men apparently need airplane call signs to activate ours...
Old Sep 10, 2007, 6:33 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Sometimes it can be pro-safety for a pilot not to tune out other ATC calls; such as when your a/c is cleared by tower to take the active runway, a landing a/c is cleared to land on that same runway and your a/c is not cleared for t/o after a minute or so. That's when a "friendly reminder call" to Twr. might be in order, such as "Twr., did you want United XXX to continue to hold at the end of rwy XXX reference the landing traffic for that runway???"
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:55 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Kinda mixed on this one. As a GA pilot I tend to listen to all transmissions when on the ground or in the pattern, but if I'm not in the terminal area then I tend to tune out.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by bankops
Kinda mixed on this one. As a GA pilot I tend to listen to all transmissions when on the ground or in the pattern, but if I'm not in the terminal area then I tend to tune out.
Basically the sterile cockpit areas. Pilots are typically are always aware of the communications but can easily change what we are focusing on. Just like we'll focus on another aircraft at your altitude and close by rather than that Citation X 40000 feet above you.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
OK, last year I was coming into MDT one night and the weather was reasonably clear. I was listening to channel 9 as we headed into land.

At first, it seemed like the pilots were doing a VFR landing...however, not long before our final, the pilot advised the tower, "we're getting some rain up here, can you bring us in on the Hinto?" What the heck is the Hinto? I'm pretty sure that's what he said, and I've always wondered about it and never been able to find anything about it.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cargojon
OK, last year I was coming into MDT one night and the weather was reasonably clear. I was listening to channel 9 as we headed into land.

At first, it seemed like the pilots were doing a VFR landing...however, not long before our final, the pilot advised the tower, "we're getting some rain up here, can you bring us in on the Hinto?" What the heck is the Hinto? I'm pretty sure that's what he said, and I've always wondered about it and never been able to find anything about it.
First off, just because the plane was in visual conditions (VMC...visual meteorlogical conditions) and possibly on a visual approach, it was still an IFR procedure. That's a fine point so unless you're an IFR pilot, you probably wouldn't understand. In fact, some instrument rated pilots don't understand which is rather scary.

So HINTO is the outer marker (OM) on the KMDT ILS Runway 31 approach. It's a navigation fix (in short).

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://...9/00188I31.PDF

Knowing this, I'm semi-surprised they asked for this as you usually try to be stabilized (heading/course, altitude, configuration and airspeed) outside the the final approach fix (FAF) which in this case is the HINTO. Apparently this maneuver is not abnormal for the freight dogs (fed ex, ups, etc.) as they don't have to worry much about "luggage" (ie pax). Maybe commercial carriers are ok with this if it is in visual conditions with the airport in sight (and will stay in sight)....or could they be on a contact approach which are rarely requested.

Maybe someone familiar with Part 121 can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Was on a UA flight LHR-ORD on 9/7 (the earliest flight) and was listening to Ch 9 during Taxi.

Heard a British (accent) pilot say something like "Is controller Rachel there?"

British accent female voice "Rachel here, have a great flight James (or some other name)."

Pilot "Thanks dear, see you later tonight."

<longish pause>

Girl (laughing) "Thanks James. My reputation is now in tatters."

... This actually went on for a bit with other people chiming in (I think I tuned out for a few minutes, came back, and they were still going at it.

I thought it was pretty funny, but actually made me think of the sterile cockpit rule. Even though they were on the ground frequency and had not yet switched over to the Tower... that is still the same frequency that ought to help keep my UA 777 from running into or getting run into by other planes, etc. Also distracting pilots from getting ready to take-off etc.

My hometown is Lexington, KY and I remember reading that the Comair pilots were chatting about family and stuff during their taxi to the wrong runway which was considered one of the causative factors of that crash.

Is the rule different in Europe? or do I just misunderstand the rule, maybe?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA/MAR
Was taxing from the gate to the runway somewhere (ORD or IAD probably) and clearly heard the ground controller give us permission to cross another taxiway and continue on our current path. A couple minutes later we had reached the end of those instructions and a hold, and the co-pilot reported to ground where we were. Ground came back and said something to the effect that we were supposed to hold at the last intersection, that he never cleared us onto the taxiway we were on, and generally blustered and fumed. Co-pilot retorts back that she was sure that she heard the instructions correctly and that we were cleared past the previous hold point and instructed to continue on. Ground says that we must have been on a different frequency because HE never would have cleared us to go where we went.

Next voice is the pilot's, and he says that "all three of us here heard it, and we read it back to you, this is the only ground frequency we have been on." Ground says "well, you weren't talking to me, and you're screwed now anyway because the next taxiway has a width restriction, and your heavy is too wide."

I swear they went back and forth bickering like that for 3 or 4 minutes before captain finally said, "well, however we got here, we're here now, what do you want us to do?" Ground made us do a 180 and turn at the previous intersection.

The kicker? I know the FO was right... the ground controller screwed up. Oops!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.