Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA1K
i find it amazing how one is able to understand what goes on on channel 9. it's like a different language to me.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
And because some aircraft of the same airline company have different liveries, you'll even have variations on the "company" term like, "Southwest 783, give way to the company blue-top crossing on Bravo." Meaning, yield, to the other SW on Bravo taxiway with the blue-top paint job.
or something like "southwest XXX give way to company shamu passing left to right....roger give way to shamu, southwest xxx" (as this sw a/c is painted in a killer whale scheme for sea world).
Old Aug 29, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by haddon90
i find it amazing how one is able to understand what goes on on channel 9. it's like a different language to me.
Listen every flight for 100+ segments over a year or so and it'll sound like music to your ears!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by xj47
Listen every flight for 100+ segments over a year or so and it'll sound like music to your ears!
Or a single 3-hour ground stop at IAD (or for that matter, ORD, SFO, LAX, etc.) where the ground controllers are trying to find parking spots for dozens of planes. If you ever thought parallel parking was hard, try sequencing aircraft with little to no maneuvering room.

Last time this happened, I had my IAD airport diagram out (yes, I'm a true FT geek) and I followed along as the ground controllers tried to extricate at least two planes with medical emergencies from the long line of jets parked on the taxiways. To complicate matters, almost all the jets had their engines shut down because the ground delay was anticipated to last a long time.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by xj47
yup and you will then become so in tune to your flight's call sign that something like this ("center, united 281, it appears we might have a slight problem with our pressurization system") will cause even the most extremely tired person to wake up instantly.

from this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690358
Old Aug 29, 2007, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by goalie
yup and you will then become so in tune to your flight's call sign that something like this ("center, united 281, it appears we might have a slight problem with our pressurization system") will cause even the most extremely tired person to wake up instantly.
Or you're so used to flying the same flights that even though you're on one of the renumbered legs of a international connecting flight, when the captain comes on the PA and says "our call sign today will be United 8153", you're just thinking "well, duh".
Old Aug 29, 2007, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Or, invest in a radio scanner and go out to the airport and watch planes take off and land, or listen in via websites that broadcast ATC chatter.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
Or you're so used to flying the same flights that even though you're on one of the renumbered legs of a international connecting flight, when the captain comes on the PA and says "our call sign today will be United 8153", you're just thinking "well, duh".
had that happen many times-touché
Old Aug 29, 2007, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K, UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Avis Pref Plus, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
And because some aircraft of the same airline company have different liveries, you'll even have variations on the "company" term like, "Southwest 783, give way to the company blue-top crossing on Bravo." Meaning, yield, to the other SW on Bravo taxiway with the blue-top paint job.
I often hear something like this when controllers refer to US planes. Many of the flights out my way seem to still use the HP "Cactus" call sign, but they will say "Cactus 412 in the new colors, ready to taxi", for example.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:08 am

Programs: UA1P
Originally Posted by haddon90
It is a different language but just like everything else, once you speak it it is pretty easy. Also once you speak it and therefore have a little experience, you know what they are going to say. Often not only do you know what they are going to say, but you hear what they are going to tell you 5 minutes ahead of time since they usually give the same or very similar instructions to the plane in front of you. If anything changes, usually ATC will pause and emphasize the difference so you also know it isn't an accident on the controllers behalf (you're flying a heading of 090 and ATC says "turn _RIGHT_ to heading 060"). Now doing the communications, while hand flying the plane, engine management, navigating laterally and vertically, setting up for an approach and nailing it perfectly without ever seeing beyond the wingtips is beyond exhillerating and fun.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum, Amex Platinum
Captain gives aviation class on channel 9

I was on a mileage run for about 26 hours this weekend (SFO-SEA-ORD-STL-PIT-ORD-LAX-SFO in mostly 1st class), and had a very interesting captain on the ORD-LAX segment yesterday.

I didn't write down his name, but I think it was Hernandez(?), and his first officer, who was flying the plane was Joe or Joel something.

Anyway, he came on and gave the usual greeting, then invited those interested in aviation to tune into channel 9 for more info. He proceeded to give a fascinating 10 minute lecture on all sorts of things, some of which were very basic, but he gave anecdotes such as why we were flying at 33k feet instead of 10k (the air is 1/3 as dense, such as the difference between syrup and water), why the cabin is only pressurized to about 6-7k feet instead of sea level, how they were flying a 767 but could also fly 757's such as they did that morning from SEA-ORD since they were an equivalent class plane, the range of the 767 and how it is capable of flying 18 hours nonstop but they only fly them for 12 hours for legal and other reasons, fuel info and how much fuel we were burning on that trip, the fact that each person on the flight, if they drove from Chicago to LA, would have to get 78 MPG to equal the efficiency of the plane, facts about the autopilot system and that it could fly in class 3 conditions with a minimum of 30 foot visibility (that minimum is just so that the pilots can taxi the plane off of the runway after the autopilot would land, and they need at least 30 feet visibility to do so) .... and on and on.

He was kind of humorous, and it was interesting. Never experienced anything like that before, and it made up for the dirty F cabin seat I was sitting in that obviously hadn't been cleaned since the last trip.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a few guys out there who do this, and I agree...it is quite interesting. Much better than watching yet another rerun of NBC Inflight.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Yup. Seems to the 757/767 Captains who do it in my experience (never heard it on any other UA equipment). I always make sure to thank the Captain personally for the effort. ^
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Yeah, one time on a PS flight JFK-SFO the captain gave a very lengthy lecture on the different types and causes of turbulence - it was informative and a great touch in my opinion.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:21 pm

you caught a gem ^ and very similar to captain goodfellow i had over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395132

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.