Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:44 am

Radio Chatter to special traffic center?

Recently completed LAX to SYD run. As a wonk who listens to Channel 9, I encountered some radio chat to a San Francisco center that perhaps only a UA pilot or super-flyer would know about---

Seconds after SoCal departure announced radar services terminated and to sqwuak 2200 (or was it 2000?), the FlightDeck thanked SoCal and then, a different radio message was transmitted something as follows

"San Francisco, San Francisco, this is United 839. We are 'avdg' (some phonetic code) with 'hdggv' (another code)."

To which a male voice stated "This is San Francisco. Acknowledged" and the radio went silent.

As this exchanged was much clearer than usual aircraft radio, I assume that it was occuring on either a special FM, or SATCOM system.

Anyone have an idea as to what this might be?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
UA OPS at SFO, if I had to guess.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
There is no "San Francisco" air traffic control. The local ATC Center is Oakland Center and the TRACON is Bay Approach (or is it NorCal Approach now?). The 2000/2200 transponder codes are standard for IFR operations outside of controlled airspace (i.e. transatlantic/transpacific).

I'm going to guess it was a call to the United dispatcher letting them know that the flight was going across some fix and outside of radar coverage.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Isn't one of the pacific control centers located near san fransisco? based on what I found here (http://zak.vatusa.org/) I think it is to the Oakland control via HF/VHF.

The Pacific Oceanic Group is a large area of airspace that extends from the west coast of North America well past the Hawaiian Islands. This large area can not be practically serviced by radar surveillance, therefore, aircraft operating within the airspace are separated by non-radar methods. Compulsory position reports are sent by pilots through a special HF and VHF radio network operated under national authority for the FAA by the ARINC corporation.

On VATSIM, this region is managed by the Oakland Oceanic Facility Advisory Board (FAB), as part of VATUSA's Western Region. The Facility Leader reports to the Western Regional Director.

Pilots will the see the facility operate on the text callsign of "KZOA_FSS" with a primary frequency of 131.95. The facility will use the call sign "San Francisco Radio" on the voice channel. A complete tutorial explaining everything a VATSIM pilot needs to know, from filing a flight-plan to landing is provided on this web site. Pilots should not be nervous to give this interesting airspace, and it's unique procedures a try. In order to allow more traffic to make use of the airspace we've implemented procedures to support multiple-x simulation rates. Special "hi-speed" procedures are outlined to allow an organized way for pilots to fly at 2x or 4x speed for segments on the Pacific oceanic routes. See the Pilot Info section.

Last edited by prestonh; Aug 20, 2007 at 1:41 pm
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:55 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I took a tour of the Oakland ARTCC ("Oakland Center") once, and there was a guy upstairs who said he was controlling the aircraft over a large chunk of the Pacific Ocean. They do not use radar but rather rely on position reports from pilots to ensure separation. I believe the OP heard the pilot begin communication with this facility.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:52 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I'm going to take a guess that after L.A. Center's ground-based radar sector terminated radar service (hence the 2000 squawk), the UA pilot was checking on with San Francisco ARINC, a private company that handles HF radio communication over-water. Others are correct that Oakland Center's Oceanic area will continue to handle the aircraft in a non-radar environment, until it gets into Australia's Flight Information Region.

[Donning moderator hat]: As this is well-related to our ongoing master thread on interesting stuff heard on Channel 9, I'll merge it with that thread.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 20, 2007 at 2:59 pm
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
I'm going to take a guess that after L.A. Center's ground-based radar sector terminated radar service (hence the 2000 squawk), the UA pilot was checking on with San Francisco ARINC, a private company that handles HF radio communication over-water. Others are correct that Oakland Center's Oceanic area will continue to handle the aircraft in a non-radar environment, until it gets into Australia's Flight Information Region.
Isn't before the flight is handed to FIR Brisbane the flight go through FIR Nadi (of Fiji)?
Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
8/22, UA 133 STL-DEN...

On short final, Denver tower told another plane to keep the aisle clear upon reaching the gate, as there was an Amber Alert somehow affecting that flight. That really caught me by surprise! I unfortunately didn't catch the flight # or see anything of note once we landed.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA
Whoops!

While flying UA 575 ORD-SEA today (Aug 28), I heard the following:

Unknown pilot: Uh, folks, from the flight deck again, those of you seated on the right side of the airplane can see... um, whoops, excuse me.

Some other unknown pilot: Hey thanks, we appreciate the guided tour!

Someone accidentally broadcast their cabin announcement to ATC...
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA1P
Originally Posted by Schwieb
Someone accidentally broadcast their cabin announcement to ATC...
Right after I got my IFR ticket, I was on an approach in actual IMC (clouds) going into HWD near Oakland, I get turned over from Norcal to HWD tower. Someone on the background of the tower was cursing up a storm. My passenger who had a PPL but no IFR ticket kept saying "talk to them. talk to them." One thing you learn is "[expletive] ATC. They'll wait while I fly the plane." After a minute or so I say, "HWD Tower, interesting story you got going on there, inbound on the LOC DME." They stumbled and said, "Ummm, ummmm, ummmm, cleared to land...." They were a bit embarrassed.

At an AOPA seminar, I also heard of a story of a Norcal or OAK Center controller who was supposed to handle no more than 12 or so flights at a time. He was doing 15. A WN pilot kept requesting a direct clearance. The controller kept telling him unable. At one point the controller's assistant leaned in front of the controller and made the comment "Jesus, leave us the [expletive] alone." He was close enough for the mic to pick him up. Not good.

Another one was a Cessna Citation Jet who use the call sign "Citation Nxxxxx" kept calling KAPA tower as Norcal. KAPA tower kept calling them a Cessna which kind of implies a put down to the same level as a C150. At one point the tower said, "How about we make a deal? You call me KAPA tower and I will call you Citation." hehehehe.

Lots of these stories on the back of IFR magazine.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 29, 2007 at 8:08 am Reason: expletives edited to comply with TOS
Old Aug 29, 2007, 12:58 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Is there a place you can find the log info for this sort of thing?
Only if you want more captains to turn it off, or UA to eliminate it completely.

The #1 rule if you like Ch 9: anything you hear that's the slightest bit damaging to the flight crew or United, you never repeat, especially not officially or in a big forum. Why should they keep making it available if people will start ratting them out?

Listen, enjoy, and remember that every other airline that doesn't have it will lie to you at least as much and you'll never know. Don't contribute to UA becoming one of them.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:10 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jd2000
Only if you want more captains to turn it off, or UA to eliminate it completely.

The #1 rule if you like Ch 9: anything you hear that's the slightest bit damaging to the flight crew or United, you never repeat, especially not officially or in a big forum. Why should they keep making it available if people will start ratting them out?

Listen, enjoy, and remember that every other airline that doesn't have it will lie to you at least as much and you'll never know. Don't contribute to UA becoming one of them.
if i may add rule 1a....say thank you to the captain if possible when leaving your flight
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Question...

often when I'm at DEN, I hear ATC tell the pilot to taxi "behind the company jet". What does that mean?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dimramon
Question...

often when I'm at DEN, I hear ATC tell the pilot to taxi "behind the company jet". What does that mean?
I believe it means the aircraft that the pilot is supposed to follow is from the same carrier. i.e. UA xxx follow company 737, means to follow the UA 737.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:46 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
And because some aircraft of the same airline company have different liveries, you'll even have variations on the "company" term like, "Southwest 783, give way to the company blue-top crossing on Bravo." Meaning, yield, to the other SW on Bravo taxiway with the blue-top paint job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.