Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forums several, active Channel 9 threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (Channel 9) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captains discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts youre interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss Uniteds progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Old Aug 18, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The Consolidated "Fun Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Listening to Ch.9 while at the gate waiting to taxi went something along these lines..

UA 939: Heathrow tower UA 939 heavy, ready to taxi
Tower: I don't see a flight plan for you, please call Company and have them submit
UA 939: (politely) Ok will do..

Not being a pilot I am thinking this can not be good...luckily about 10 min later the tower found the flight plan and we were off...At customs in LAX I overheard the pilots talking about how messed up UA is an they wouldn't be surprised if they forgot to file the plan before the flight.

Sitting on the runway ready to go:

Tower: The airport utility vehicle (toyota SUV) you see coming down the runway will yield
UA 939: I bet he will...bigger is always better
UA 939 1st officer (female): Not always
Tower: Laughing

I can only imagine what a 777 ready to takeoff coming right at you must look like from a car. It was kinda funny to get a change of pace from the usual chatter.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
You should have heard the trans-atlantic chatter the other day LHR-LAX when talking to Iceland Radio. Someone had their computer or MP3 player connected to the radio and was transmitting all sorts of crazy stuff. Woody Woodpecker going "That's all folks", etc...
Old Aug 18, 2007, 7:57 pm

Programs: Lots
About a month ago my flight from SFO-SAN became UA431 Tango. I'm sure it's a simple question but what did the Tango refer to?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by oc35
Listening to Ch.9 while at the gate waiting to taxi went something along these lines........

Sitting on the runway ready to go:

Tower: The airport utility vehicle (toyota SUV) you see coming down the runway will yield
UA 939: I bet he will...bigger is always better
UA 939 1st officer (female): Not always
Tower: Laughing
emphasis mine: me too . i would have loved to have been in the cabin just to see how many pax stated laughing in unision
Old Aug 18, 2007, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Originally Posted by IggySD
About a month ago my flight from SFO-SAN became UA431 Tango. I'm sure it's a simple question but what did the Tango refer to?
It usually means that United is reusing the flight number, so the add a letter to the call sign to avoid any potential confusion.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
It usually means that United is reusing the flight number, so the add a letter to the call sign to avoid any potential confusion.
Reusing it from what? I looked on flightaware and that flight goes SEA-SFO-SAN every day and is just 431 for both legs. That day (15Jul) it was specifically listed as 431 Tango. I was going to ask the pilot but the beers I had before leaving SFO caught up with me as soon as the fasten seatbelt sign came on for landing so was in a bit of a hurry.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 9:01 pm

Reusing it from what? I looked on flightaware and that flight goes SEA-SFO-SAN every day and is just 431 for both legs. That day (15Jul) it was specifically listed as 431 Tango. I was going to ask the pilot but the beers I had before leaving SFO caught up with me as soon as the fasten seatbelt sign came on for landing so was in a bit of a hurry.
The aircraft flying SEA-SFO isn't necessarily the same as that flying SFO-SAN. Therefore it's possible if the SEA-SFO segment is delayed that there could be 2 active flight 431s, hence the need for the designation to avoid confusion.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K in training
Some flight numbers are reused intermittently. For example, UA431 will be used for an IAH-DEN leg starting 9/5/07. Maybe there was another UA431 on the day you flew; I don't know of any easy way to go back and check.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Fokker28
And it appears that the FAMs here like to provide clues to identifying when he/she is on mission status! Brilliant!
How so?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Here's a link to a thread that discusses this question in depth...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719806
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Here's a link to a thread that discusses this question in depth...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719806
Heh - looks as though it gets asked pretty frequently - sorry about that. I did a search for Tango but that of course brought up a bunch of threads about Air Canada.

Thanks all for the info.
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
The MAGGI 3 standard terminal arrival route (STAR) exists for HNL and OGG (Maui). It's used often from flights coming from the US mainland. Flights for HNL may be routed from the BITTA oceanic fix direct to CKH (Koko Head VOR). IIRC, flights bound to KOA use the the VECKI 6 STAR. Five letter waypoints (i.e., BITTA) are oceanic fixes and three-letter aids (CKH) are land or island based VOR omni-range beacons. So many flights are routed over the same points to keep them out of other traffic patterns. Also, 250 miles or so from the mainland or Hawaiian Islands, radar coverage is lost, so aircraft are kept on defined tracks with oceanic waypoints for reporting or coordination.
Once again in english
Old Aug 18, 2007, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Originally Posted by tonerman
Once again in english
Here is Vecki 6 arrival:
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0707/05761VECKI.PDF
Old Aug 19, 2007, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by goalie
emphasis mine: me too . i would have loved to have been in the cabin just to see how many pax stated laughing in unision
It's happened before to me, flying JFK-LHR, I was in 17A on the 777, Mrs AdamUK was in 17B not listening to ch9. The JFK controller came out with some wise-crack and I looked across to see the rest of row 17 with smirks on their faces.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 9:26 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Channel 9 reveals different reason for delay?

UA 968, 8/15/07, SJC-ORD. We'd been delayed for two hours due to a faulty APU (Auxilliary Power Unit), including one trip out to the runway after an hour or so, where we waited 10 minutes before the captain came back on and said it wasn't fixed so we were going back to the gate (which we did and eventually we took off). Er, OK, except that, nearing ORD, Channel 9 broadcast a near-argument (according to my daughter; she was plugged into Channel 9, but my headset jack wasn't working) between our pilot and ACT. ACT wanted us to approach at 220kts, and our pilot was pretty demanding it be 180, because "No, our delay was because we had some issues with our brakes earlier, so we're going to come in at 180."

Is there a place you can find the log info for this sort of thing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.