Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki note about the forum’s several, active “Channel 9” threads.

Offering live ATC communications on UA flights on Chanel 9 of the audio entertainment system (“Channel 9”) is exclusive to United and offered at the Captain’s discretion. This forum has four prime, active threads about Channel 9. This note will guide you to the right thread for your post, or to where you would look for those channel 9 posts you’re interested in.

1) This thread, to discuss interesting things heard on Channel 9, such as interesting exchanges between pilots and controllers or asking about pilot-controller phraseology.

2) A thread – intended as a basic status thread only to list the specific channel 9-equipped flights offering or not offering Channel 9. The thumbs-up/down codes used in the thread are:
^ Channel 9 offered on this flight but no announcement made about it.
^^ Channel 9 offered and crew announced or promoted its availability.
: td : Channel 9 not offered on this flight.
Please postings to status reports of availability -- and use the thread below to discuss the general topic.
Channel 9 availability reports (no discussion)[Consoldidated]

3) A discussion thread to pursue issues about Channel 9 availability. (See the previous paragraph. if you merely wish to list the flights offering or not offering channel 9.)
Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

4) A thread to discuss United’s progress in converting legacy Continental aircraft to offer Channel 9.
Anyone get channel 9 on a reconfigured CO or PDE aircraft yet?

The following aircraft types have "From the Flight Deck" installed (commonly known as "Channel 9," as that's the location it is found on audio handset selectors):
sUA 777-200ERs
sCO 777-200ERs
sUA 777-300ERs
sUA 777-200As (high density, first class only)
sUA 767-300ERs
sCO 767-400ERs
sUA 757-200 (28J p.s.)

[sUA A320 and A319 aircraft have had it removed. It is not installed on any 737s, 787s, nor sCO 757-200s (16J p.s.) or sCO 757-300s.]

The Moderators may move misplaced posts to conform to these thread aims.

Archived posts in Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

SEA-DEN on the 6AM flight 2 weeks ago on a 75

2 girls in the cockpit. The Captain had her 8 year old son in 1D. After take off, she switched to another frequency and talked to her husband who was the pilot on another flight. They chatted for a minute or so, she told him she got their son in F and they ended the conversation by saying "I love you" to each other"

She came back to say hello to her son during the flight, I walked up and asked her who her husband was a pilot with. She said Alaska and wondered how I knew.. I said that Channel 9 will also broadcast other frequencies
We both laughed, she got really embarrassed.

Fun fun..
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Cuuuute! I love office romances... particularly between companies.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA (PLT) / CO (because I fly non-stop SFO-CDG on Air France) / UA (sometimes)
I really love Channel 9 when I fly UA.
Do you guys have any idea why other airlines don't do this as well?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by kharma99
AFAIK, UA is the only airline that offers live ATC
Old Jun 6, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by kharma99
Because they don't want people talking about them being a little slow to get their numbers sometimes -- so let's shut up about that before they decide to take it away.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 4:38 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by jd2000
Because they don't want people talking about them being a little slow to get their numbers sometimes -- so let's shut up about that before they decide to take it away.
Oops...
Old Jun 6, 2007, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Originally Posted by tommy777
She came back to say hello to her son during the flight, I walked up and asked her who her husband was a pilot with. She said Alaska and wondered how I knew.. I said that Channel 9 will also broadcast other frequencies
We both laughed, she got really embarrassed.

Fun fun..

Know you meant well, but there is one lady captain that will never turn on ch 9 again.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by hawkxp
Know you meant well, but there is one lady captain that will never turn on ch 9 again.
No way.. We chatted a little more and she said she will remember to watch what she says on the radio from now on
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:50 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
What is Ch. 9 like over KWI and Iraq?
Well, I flew a UA charter a few weeks before the war started and listened to Ch 9. They would switch between local ATC and what I presume to be an AWACS plane to verify the ATC command. It was also interesting because we flew from FRA-KWI over Egypt and apparently the Egyptians hadn't been paid for the overflight and made us fly south for about an hour before turning us east... and presumptively after they received Uncle Sam's Amex number.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
Well, I flew a UA charter a few weeks before the war started and listened to Ch 9. They would switch between local ATC and what I presume to be an AWACS plane to verify the ATC command. It was also interesting because we flew from FRA-KWI over Egypt and apparently the Egyptians hadn't been paid for the overflight and made us fly south for about an hour before turning us east... and presumptively after they received Uncle Sam's Amex number.
Interesting.. Thanks for sharing
Old Jun 10, 2007, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by JRF

Do you think most of the pilots that hear the CW would even know what the code translated into? Most of the time the CW is at 30+ WPM and there are very few in the US that can decipher CW at more then 5WPM. Besides CW and VOICE there are other modes of Ident, although that is taking the thread off track. Also, as digital radios come out, we may start seeing Ident being done as a data subdevide of the freq so you would not actually hear the Ident, you would only see it on your radio screen (how is that for a odd term... radio screen...)
Most of us can't decode it without referencing our chart for the printed code and alphanumeric ident box associated with the navaid.

Lots of airplanes (CRJ for one) do listen to the ident themselves and display the station's identifier on the MFD (multi-function display).
Old Jun 10, 2007, 6:03 pm

And it appears that the FAMs here like to provide clues to identifying when he/she is on mission status! Brilliant!
Old Jun 10, 2007, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA1P
Originally Posted by Fokker28
Most of us can't decode it without referencing our chart for the printed code and alphanumeric ident box associated with the navaid.

Lots of airplanes (CRJ for one) do listen to the ident themselves and display the station's identifier on the MFD (multi-function display).
A number of radios do this include the Garmin (formally UPSAT). Most pilots do have to looks at the charts to decode the identifiers but usually remember many of them. 'I' is two dots (first letter of all ILS's), OSI for instance is beep beep beep, dot dot dot, dot dot.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by emma dog
interesting because we flew from FRA-KWI over Egypt and apparently the Egyptians hadn't been paid for the overflight and made us fly south for about an hour before turning us east... and presumptively after they received Uncle Sam's Amex number.
Nope -- that's the same route we've (mil air) been flying since at least the mid 80's. South along the Nile to about Luxor, then east across the Red Sea and SA. It's the prefered route to enter Saudia Arabia (and any other Gulf countries, now including Iraq) from the west. The short route would take you over Israel and you can't fly into Saudia Arabia if you've overflown Israel. And there's some other problem with Jordan as well. Don't even think about overflying Syria.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
What is the thing ATC says to basically every plane approaching the Hawaiian Islands - something like "[United] [___], clear direct Bobo, Maggie Three for arrival"?

They say it to just about every plane, no matter what island the plane is going to although planes going to Kona seem to get some different instructions. Are they routing every plane to all but the BIg Island over a specific floating beacon or something?

I've always been curious about this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.