FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The Consolidated "Interesting Things Heard on Channel 9" Thread [Merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/726789-consolidated-interesting-things-heard-channel-9-thread-merged.html)

ucsf_med May 23, 2007 2:16 pm

Channel 9 always seems to be at a lower volume than the other channels and I end up cranking up the volume in order to hear anything. This isn't a problem, except when the PA comes on and blasts the announcements in my ears! Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions or suggestions?

redburgundy May 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by ucsf_med (Post 7787548)
Channel 9 always seems to be at a lower volume than the other channels and I end up cranking up the volume in order to hear anything. This isn't a problem, except when the PA comes on and blasts the announcements in my ears! Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions or suggestions?

I sometimes find that, but more often I find a loud hum that is not on the music channels. And there is always crosstalk from a music channel or the movie audio track.

lucky9876coins May 23, 2007 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by redburgundy (Post 7787623)
I sometimes find that, but more often I find a loud hum that is not on the music channels.

Yep, that's especially evident on the 767. Anyone know why this is the case on the 767 more than on other aircraft?

Rocketman93455 May 23, 2007 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by redburgundy (Post 7787623)
I sometimes find that, but more often I find a loud hum that is not on the music channels. And there is always crosstalk from a music channel or the movie audio track.

That is there for our convenience...so we can listen to channel 9 and watch the movie and listen to all 9 music channels at the same time.

Ocn Vw 1K May 23, 2007 3:09 pm

ucsf_med: this "volume" problem seems to happen most recently on Airbii 319/320. Older threads reporting this suggested that ch.9 draws from the observer's (jump seat) panel and if that panel had the gain turned down, then you will experience low volume on ch.9 but loud on PAs and other channels. About a year ago, I did report a very low ch.9 vol. setting to the captain on deplaining (after thanking him for ch.9). He asked if I had a minute while he checked and he could not find the answer to the problem.

Lucky... the 767 hum problem is a known issue with that type of aircraft. I recall an older thread explaining it; but can't quickly recall the specific thread.

AudiGuy May 23, 2007 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K (Post 7787827)
ucsf_med: this "volume" problem seems to happen most recently on Airbii 319/320. Older threads reporting this suggested that ch.9 draws from the observer's (jump seat) panel and if that panel had the gain turned down, then you will experience low volume on ch.9 but loud on PAs and other channels. About a year ago, I did report a very low ch.9 vol. setting to the captain on deplaining (after thanking him for ch.9). He asked if I had a minute while he checked and he could not find the answer to the problem.

Lucky... the 767 hum problem is a known issue with that type of aircraft. I recall an older thread explaining it; but can't quickly recall the specific thread.

As I recall, the noise on Ch. 9 on the 767 has to do with the grounding of the 400 Hz power system on this aircraft. Somehow, the 400 Hz is leaking in, producing that lovely tone...I've thought about building a little notch filter to try to kill it, but I'm an Aero E, not a EE, so far it remains an idea...

FightingIlliniUAL May 23, 2007 5:11 pm

Wirelessly posted (Palm680/RC1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D053; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

A few months back, I tuned into ch 9 somewhere between arizona and colorado. I was tapping away on my laptop and forgot that I didn't switch back to my ipod, as I usually have no patience for channel 9 at cruise. a lady very quietly blurts out, IM NAKED, on the air!

cblaisd May 23, 2007 5:20 pm

"Naked, please say your position"

JLaw725 Jun 5, 2007 8:48 pm

I was listening to Ch 9 on approach to IAH today, and heard Houston Center call a SW flight and told him to be aware that he may have lost a piece of his landing gear on takeoff. Controller told him that a piece of jet landing gear landed on top of a house at the time they were lifting off. Then told SW to call company for instructions for emergency landing at his destination.
SW said they had no warning light but would call their HQ. Interesting.
Nothing on local news about it.

ssh Jun 5, 2007 9:22 pm

On DEN-ORD today (UA 244 heavy, in case you're interested), I heard something that I've heard more and more frequently, it seems to me. A number of United flights having begun taxi get close to the runway and then inform ATC that they are still "waiting for numbers." I've been curious about this since I haven't heard it from any of the other airlines, but flying out of Denver as I do, it could simply be a volume thing.

Is it as common an occurance as it seems? Why does it sometimes take them so long?

wxguy Jun 5, 2007 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by ssh (Post 7856570)
On DEN-ORD today (UA 244 heavy, in case you're interested), I heard something that I've heard more and more frequently, it seems to me. A number of United flights having begun taxi get close to the runway and then inform ATC that they are still "waiting for numbers." I've been curious about this since I haven't heard it from any of the other airlines, but flying out of Denver as I do, it could simply be a volume thing.

Is it as common an occurance as it seems? Why does it sometimes take them so long?

It's an airline thing, not an airport thing. The "numbers" the pilots are waiting for are the weight/balance information that gives the various take-off speeds (V1, Vr, V2), from an automated flight planning system at UA. The numbers are transmitted electronically to the aircraft. When they arrive, the pilots key them into the flight management system. Then, the pilots can tell ATC they "have the numbers" and are ready to go.

flyinryan Jun 5, 2007 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 7788437)
"Naked, please say your position"

"6.9 nautical miles south of CRAZY WOMAN."
:D

ual744777sta Jun 6, 2007 12:04 am

KWI Flyers

What is Ch. 9 like over KWI and Iraq?

jd2000 Jun 6, 2007 12:35 am

Originally Posted by emma dog (Post 7700525)
Heavy aircraft are capable of takeoff weights of more than 255,000 pounds whether or not they are operating at this weight during a particular phase of flight.

Originally Posted by dmodemd (Post 7703970)
The controller had previously told a NW 757(?) heavy [looked like an extra long 757??]

NW flies 757-300s which are indeed extra long and also have MTOW above 255,000lb -- they really are heavy.

ssh Jun 6, 2007 8:37 am

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 7856809)
It's an airline thing, not an airport thing. The "numbers" the pilots are waiting for are the weight/balance information that gives the various take-off speeds (V1, Vr, V2), from an automated flight planning system at UA. The numbers are transmitted electronically to the aircraft. When they arrive, the pilots key them into the flight management system. Then, the pilots can tell ATC they "have the numbers" and are ready to go.

Thanks, wxguy... So, it seems to me that United is especially slow at getting the numbers out. I've been delayed on takeoff a number of times this year waiting for these. Usually only 5 minutes or so, but when we're already delayed getting out of the gate... :rolleyes: