United Mileage Plus Platinum Class Visa

Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ps9a
Anyone heard differently?
Nope. You have it right. The plus with this card is the PQP count towards 1K, while the PQP from the newer cards only count up to Platinum.

Why not apply for a club or explorer card if you want double PQP. There are 100k and 60k sign up bonuses out there as well.
ps9a likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Nope. You have it right. The plus with this card is the PQP count towards 1K, while the PQP from the newer cards only count up to Platinum.

Why not apply for a club or explorer card if you want double PQP. There are 100k and 60k sign up bonuses out there as well.
I'd like the PQP's to count toward 1K status
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ps9a
I'd like the PQP's to count toward 1K status
At the moment, your choice is applicable for 1K or bonus PQP but only up to Plat.
Note: usable for 1K is only for certain legacy cards and not for any presently available cards.
ps9a likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I'm one of the few dinosaurs out there who's still carrying the Chase United MileagePlus Platinum Class Visa card. I've held on to the card for years because I enjoyed the "free" PQMs and double miles on gas and groceries - and because for many years the card was free or substantially discounted for 1Ks.

The annual fee has just posted and I'm thinking of closing my account. Does this card still have any valuable benefits? Double miles on groceries and gas are nice, but other cards have similar benefits, and it's not enough to justify the fee. I wasn't aware that the "new" PQD benefit counted towards 1K, but in the grand scheme of things, it's useless. PQM benefits don't apply anymore. Also, I'm a 1K and I also have the Club card so the token benefits such as discounts on WiFi etc. are effectively a duplicate for me.

This is one of my oldest cards, and I'm almost emotionally attached but reason has to prevail. Am I missing any reason not to close this account?
nnn likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Pat Plus
Does this card still have any valuable benefits?
Do you get the annual companion zone fare certificate? I have used it every year for the last few years either for Hawaii or Colorado mountain towns. Although flight prices to Hawaii are lower at the moment.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pat Plus
I'm one of the few dinosaurs out there who's still carrying the Chase United MileagePlus Platinum Class Visa card. I've held on to the card for years because I enjoyed the "free" PQMs and double miles on gas and groceries - and because for many years the card was free or substantially discounted for 1Ks.

The annual fee has just posted and I'm thinking of closing my account. Does this card still have any valuable benefits? Double miles on groceries and gas are nice, but other cards have similar benefits, and it's not enough to justify the fee. I wasn't aware that the "new" PQD benefit counted towards 1K, but in the grand scheme of things, it's useless. PQM benefits don't apply anymore. Also, I'm a 1K and I also have the Club card so the token benefits such as discounts on WiFi etc. are effectively a duplicate for me.

This is one of my oldest cards, and I'm almost emotionally attached but reason has to prevail. Am I missing any reason not to close this account?
Only real benefits I can think of are the annual companion pass (which I've admittedly only used a few times, and I'm not positive continues forever), and the PQP's counting toward 1K (I don't think you can use any of the new cards to help with 1K status). I'm in a similar boat... I've only used this card for the PQM's in the past, and there's a chance I put some money on it this year if I'm not flying much in the 2nd half. Not sure it's worth $140(?)/year going forward for the ability to top off PQPs.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks all! Good point regarding the companion cert. I've never used it in 10 years so I'll close my account. One more piece of legacy UA going away

The PQP benefit is laughable whether it qualifies towards 1K or not. It makes absolutely no sense to run the kind of spend that's required to earn PQDs.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, FWIW, here's the thread that covers use of the Companion Certificate:

Consolidated "Chase MP Plus Visa Companion Fare Certificate" - updated with 2019 T&C

David
Old May 26, 2020, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
While I know there are bonus PQP earning opportunities with this card, am I right that the equivalent of 5000 PQP booked on united.com for basic spend for tickets no longer applies? If so, this card is toast.
Old May 26, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
While I know there are bonus PQP earning opportunities with this card, am I right that the equivalent of 5000 PQP booked on united.com for basic spend for tickets no longer applies? If so, this card is toast.
Correct. It used to be 5000 PQM (never PQP). Pretty much useless for the price of the annual fee. I converted the card to the TravelBank card early this year.
SFO 1K likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
This card provided 5,000 PQM for $5,000 in UA ticket purchases and 5,000 PQMs for spending $35,000 on the card. The total 10K PQPs would have been 20% of Premier Gold
The new spend bonus is up to 3,000 PQPs at a rate of 500 per $12,000 spend. For $36K spend, you will get 1,500 PQPs or 30% of Premier Gold.
SFO 1K likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 26, 2020 at 8:55 am
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:37 pm

Any recent experience on how long it’s taking Chase/United to credit the PQP’s for credit spend? If not, I just put some spend on the card this afternoon and immediately paid off the charge (statement closes in a few days), so I’ll be the guinea pig.

Update: Miles hit 1 day after statement close. PQPs hit 3 days after close.

Last edited by ps9a; Jun 13, 2020 at 1:20 am
Old Feb 13, 2021, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Just got the following in my post box - Looks like UA and Chase are tired of us/this card - wanna move us to "United Quest(tm) Card" and charge us $250/year for it:

No more United Mileage Plus Platinum Class Visa:

Enhancements in green/yellow, reductions/eliminations boxed in red. Apparently they don't want to deal with the companion certificate any more and think that 5K award miles up to 2 times a year is an even exchange.

Those of us with annual fee cycles after August 1, 2021 will see it go from $140 to $250 each year - if you decide that it is worth it to keep the card.

David
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:56 pm

Appears Chase / UA are converting the Platinum Visa to the Quest Card --
see Coming Soon: United Quest Card (was Platinum Visa)
Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:19 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I think I’ll be canceling. It was a good ride.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.