Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

February 2016 an completely air-side path between T8/T7 and TBIT opened (Dotted line in above map)

To get from T8/T7 to T5, one has to walk from T7 to T6, using the spaghetti junction at the T6 TSA, then walk down the T6 concourse to the middle portion (Alaska Gates), then take the underground tunnel from T6 to T4 (to American gates). Take care not to go up to T5, roughly in the middle of the tunnel area.

T5<>T4, also connected via the same tunnel complex as T5 and T6, looks for signs pointing the directions to Gates 5x or 4x depending on direction.

@ T4 --- walk thru the waiting area for gate 40, near Gate 41 you'll see escalators in the distance. Hop on those, and follow the corridors. When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Archive thread: Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st530
Curious as to folks' thoughts on this. Have a friend doing HND-LAX-IAH all on UA, HND-LAX arrives at 1230 pm, LAX-IAH departs at 143 pm, i.e., 73 mins connection time on a Friday afternoon. Friend has checked bag, no GE/TSA Pre, and is an Indonesian national who may well get interrogated at CBP. Seems like a *very* likely misconnect, no? UA booked the itinerary with the (legal?) 73-minute connection, so presumably would rebook on next available LAX-IAH, but this smells like trouble.
MCT is 1h10m. At 1h13m, OP is just barely legal, but, yes, there is a significant risk of missing that connection.
SPN Lifer and st530 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Curious as to folks' thoughts on this. Have a friend doing HND-LAX-IAH all on UA, HND-LAX arrives at 1230 pm, LAX-IAH departs at 143 pm, i.e., 73 mins connection time on a Friday afternoon. Friend has checked bag, no GE/TSA Pre, and is an Indonesian national who may well get interrogated at CBP. Seems like a *very* likely misconnect, no? UA booked the itinerary with the (legal?) 73-minute connection, so presumably would rebook on next available LAX-IAH, but this smells like trouble.
The good news is that the flight usually arrives in T7, and not TBIT. The other good news is there are multiple flights to IAH other than the scheduled flight.

On the other hand, 73 minutes is really 58 minutes, with 15 minutes door closure cutoff. Depending on the seating position, line queue, bags timing between retrieving and rechecking, security line, it's a tough ask.

Better hope the flight arrives early, which it should assuming (relative) on time departure (as in take off), and block time. Can only try, there is always a chance; otherwise, no chance whatsoever. There have been some miraculous connections and "connections" reported on FT, so you just never know.
st530 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
UA38 is the only international arrival at T7 during that lunchtime hour, and my experience in those cases is that I'm at bag claim 5-10 minutes after doors open. Granted, I'm usually close to the first off, but even then I recall that the line behind me was moving fairly quickly.
st530 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
The good news is that the flight usually arrives in T7, and not TBIT. The other good news is there are multiple flights to IAH other than the scheduled flight.
Well, the weird thing is, the MCT is listed as 1h30m for flights that arrive at TBIT. So if UA ops decided to bring it onto TBIT at some point prior to check-in, suddenly it would no longer be a valid connection.

Originally Posted by dkc192
UA38 is the only international arrival at T7 during that lunchtime hour, and my experience in those cases is that I'm at bag claim 5-10 minutes after doors open.
I've waited over 45 minutes for my bag at UA T7 before, back when SIN-LAX was a thing. Even if OP makes it through immigration quickly, with a checked bag, it's still risky. Not impossible, but risky.
st530 and Repooc17 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, the weird thing is, the MCT is listed as 1h30m for flights that arrive at TBIT. So if UA ops decided to bring it onto TBIT at some point prior to check-in, suddenly it would no longer be a valid connection.
Question: would this not trigger an automated rebooking?
Old Apr 9, 2024, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus
Question: would this not trigger an automated rebooking?
I'm honestly not sure. That's certainly a reasonable outcome, but I'm not sure if it would be detected and fixed proactively, if it would be left alone for an agent to fix at check-in, or if it might actually be missed. I'm not sure at what point terminal assignments are loaded into the system such that MCTs would be checked against them. And, of course, MCTs are generally not enforced on the day of travel -- if your outbound is delayed a few minutes, UA isn't going to refuse to let you check in just because the connection is now tight; the chance of a delayed inbound is factored into the concept of MCT.
st530 likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Apr 10, 2024 at 9:11 am Reason: too many emdashes...
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:21 am

I think any flight that is scheduled to land during the operating hours of T7 FIS have T7 as the arrival terminal in the schedule. This arrival terminal would certainly change if there's a schedule change or change in CBP hours at T7 such that the flight now arrives outside of T7 FIS hours, but like jsloan I'm not sure what happens if due to day-of irrops the arrival terminal needs to change. That said, the vast majority of international arrivals scheduled to arrive at T7 do exactly that, including UA38.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:45 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
UA booked the itinerary with the (legal?) 73-minute connection, so presumably would rebook on next available LAX-IAH, but this smells like trouble.
Just cross fingers. One thing that OP's friend can do is to ask the check-in agent at the originating airport to change to a later LAX-IAH flight because of the concern of potential misconnection. It is a tall order if dealing with non-UA check-in agents. Good luck.
SPN Lifer and st530 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 9:14 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dkc192
I think any flight that is scheduled to land during the operating hours of T7 FIS have T7 as the arrival terminal in the schedule. This arrival terminal would certainly change if there's a schedule change or change in CBP hours at T7 such that the flight now arrives outside of T7 FIS hours, but like jsloan I'm not sure what happens if due to day-of irrops the arrival terminal needs to change. That said, the vast majority of international arrivals scheduled to arrive at T7 do exactly that, including UA38.
If the flight were to arrive really early, before T7 CBP opens and necessating TBIT, it wouldn't be a problem anyway.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
If the flight were to arrive really early, before T7 CBP opens and necessating TBIT, it wouldn't be a problem anyway.
T7 FIS is open in time for UA33, which arrives two hours before UA38, so this is an extremely unlikely scenario.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.