Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The People Mover /ATS, O’Hare’s (ORD) shuttle train, to close until Fall 2019

E to C gate shuttle discountinedMCT Feb 2021 from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL

UA-UA DD .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .35
UA-UA DI .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DI .40
UA-UA ID 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.20
UA-UA II 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA II 1.20
older MCT ORD MCT data - Sept 2016

Archive: Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:22 pm

Yes, but even if you prefer MKE, if you are going to get trapped somewhere due to a blizzard, better ORD than DEN, as in a pinch maybe some could come get you or you could rent a car to drive one-way instead of waiting 4 days for the next available flight. Or take a taxi to Union Station and take the frequent Amtrak service.

Just way more options at ORD if you're worried about weather interrupting your trip.
jsloan and dm6214 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
All good points.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 4:50 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
MKE-ORD are mostly 200s which if I had knee issues, I'd avoid even for a 20 minute flight

Originally Posted by dm6214
The trip is in Feb and I wasn't sure if ORD would be better or worse than DEN with the possibility of snow and all. I know they both, and MKE for that matter, have a bit of snow. I haven't been to DEN in many years. I can still change to Denver if people think that would be a easier walk.
Our trip is MKE to AKL and then returning SYD to MKE. If anyone has a suggestion for this trip I am open to suggestions.
Denver has moving sidewalks throughout except for the far eastern gates.

Originally Posted by threeoh
Yes, but even if you prefer MKE, if you are going to get trapped somewhere due to a blizzard, better ORD than DEN, as in a pinch maybe some could come get you or you could rent a car to drive one-way instead of waiting 4 days for the next available flight. Or take a taxi to Union Station and take the frequent Amtrak service.

Just way more options at ORD if you're worried about weather interrupting your trip.
All in all, it's really anyone's guess. The storm that hits Denver at time of departure could be a day before ORD gets hit and hence flying over it makes sense. Or its gone thru and Chicago gets hit and going straight West to Denver you might escape it. Denver however is better equipped with taxi de-icing prior to take-off,allowing for more timely departures. Maybe I'm wrong but the 200s usually don't fare well in inclement weather as far as going out on time or even cancelled. Then yes, you could drive to ORD if the weather agrees but I am assuming if you knew the weather was going to be bad you'd try to go earlier to avoid it. I guess if I was going to a destination like New Zealand/Australia, a trip of a lifetime, I'd even spend a day ahead of time flying or staying in a hotel in a departure city. Heck, even MSN uses a 319/320 non-stop into DEN and that's what, hr 1/2 away?

Originally Posted by emcampbe
yes, it is.

"still don’t understand why they got rid of the shuttle from E2 to C gates." Wouldn’t necessarily help with a short connection, since there was often a wait, but for those with trouble walking, for sure. I’m young and relatively healthy, so am fine with the walk when traveling alone (in fact, welcome it between flights). But it’s a haul with kids, or anyone who can’t walk at a relatively fast speed.

I agree with the wheelchair suggestion.
Another FT thread said the shuttle was discontinued early 2018, with one suggesting the busses weren't equipped with a wheelchair lift. This wouldn't be the best anyways as you had to walk up/down stairs to get to/fro the bus. If the LAX flight left from B it would be probably same amount of time to walk anyways.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 28, 2023 at 10:58 am
Old Dec 28, 2023, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by rustyr
All in all, it's really anyone's guess. The storm that hits Denver at time of departure could be a day before ORD gets hit and hence flying over it makes sense. Or its gone thru and Chicago gets hit and going straight West to Denver you might escape it. Denver however is better equipped with taxi de-icing prior to take-off,allowing for more timely departures. Maybe I'm wrong but the 200s usually don't fare well in inclement weather as far as going out on time or even cancelled. Then yes, you could drive to ORD if the weather agrees but I am assuming if you knew the weather was going to be bad you'd try to go earlier to avoid it. I guess if I was going to a destination like New Zealand/Australia, a trip of a lifetime, I'd even spend a day ahead of time flying or staying in a hotel in a departure city. Heck, even MSN uses a 319/320 non-stop into DEN and that's what, hr 1/2 away?
ORD has a pretty slick de-icing setup now. I was on a flight that used it not too long ago.
They no longer rely on "at gate".

https://airportimprovement.com/article/o-hare-moves-aircraft-deicing-gates-high-tech-centralized-facility

https://www.kimley-horn.com/project/...cing-facility/

Accommodating up to 20 narrow-body or 5 wide-body aircraft at once, Chicago O’Hare International Airport’s central deicing facility (CDF) is the largest of its kind in the United States.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
ORD has a pretty slick de-icing setup now. I was on a flight that used it not too long ago.
They no longer rely on "at gate".
Generally speaking, mainline aircraft will deice at the gate in the B and C concourses and use the remote pad when departing from the E and F concourses. That can change based on the deice team's workload and the severity of the icing conditions.

Deicing at the gate is generally faster as you don't have to taxi to the deice pad.
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Generally speaking, mainline aircraft will deice at the gate in the B and C concourses and use the remote pad when departing from the E and F concourses. That can change based on the deice team's workload and the severity of the icing conditions.

Deicing at the gate is generally faster as you don't have to taxi to the deice pad.
Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure I was on UAX when we used the new deicing pad. I wasn't aware that B and C were still using a lot of "at gate".
Old Mar 16, 2024, 2:50 pm

I have the option of flying YUL-ORD or YOW-ORD and then connecting to the ANA flight to HND. The YUL flight has a 1:38 connection time and the YOW flight is 4+. Would E Gates Terminal 2 to a Terminal 1 gate in 1:38 be too risky in January?
Old Mar 16, 2024, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Schweden
I have the option of flying YUL-ORD or YOW-ORD and then connecting to the ANA flight to HND. The YUL flight has a 1:38 connection time and the YOW flight is 4+. Would E Gates Terminal 2 to a Terminal 1 gate in 1:38 be too risky in January?
If you’re flying in on AC, the walk to the NH gate is about 10 to 12 minutes (max).
Old Mar 16, 2024, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Schweden
What happens if you miss your connection? Can you accept a 24 hour delay if you get rebooked on the next day's ANA flight?

I'd risk a 1:38 connection from UA to ANA at ORD in January as long as it wasn't too critical for me to arrive in HND on time. You'll make it most of the time. There's no way I'd risk that connection from AC given their horrible OTP.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Got this text from UA for my flight tomorrow. I was unaware UA now offers checkin at T2 albeit it only till 6pm. Previously, you could clear security only at T2 for UA flights. Not sure when checkin became available.

It's time to check in for your flight from Chicago. Check in now: https:etc

Confirmation number: xxxxxc

Use the Terminal 2 lobby for check-in and gate access for flights departing Terminal 2 before 6pm. Please verify your departure gate before arriving as they are subject to change.
Departing T2 on a Monday morning. UA has advised to check bags at T2, but I don't see that there's a Premier counter or a Bag Drop. Does anyone know how busy it gets at the T2 counter? I'm debating whether it's worth checking in at the Premier/Bag Drop counter in T1 (closest end to T2) and walking over.

Thanks for any advice,

CJ
Old Mar 30, 2024, 5:53 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
It can be busy, but usually is not. If it is, it is a short walk to T1.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CJ99
Departing T2 on a Monday morning. UA has advised to check bags at T2, but I don't see that there's a Premier counter or a Bag Drop. Does anyone know how busy it gets at the T2 counter? I'm debating whether it's worth checking in at the Premier/Bag Drop counter in T1 (closest end to T2) and walking over.

Thanks for any advice,

CJ
There is not a designated Premier line. Took ~15 minutes the last time I was through in the morning (about a month ago). Was kinda annoyed honestly. I’d use T1 next time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.