Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 19, 22, 5:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jsloan
Wiki Link
The People Mover /ATS, OHares (ORD) shuttle train, to close until Fall 2019

E to C gate shuttle discountinedMCT Feb 2021 from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
 ONLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
 OFFLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
 ** OR * ARE ALL

UA-UA DD .45 AUA - ALL
 UA-UA DD .45 DUB - ALL
 UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839 NAS - ALL
 UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384 NAS - ALL
 UA-UA DD .45 NAS - ALL
 UA-UA DD .45 SNN - ALL
 UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839
 UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384
 UA-UA DD .35
 UA-UA DI .45 AUA - ALL
 UA-UA DI .45 DUB - ALL
 UA-UA DI .45 NAS - ALL
 UA-UA DI .45 SNN - ALL
 UA-UA DI .40
 UA-UA ID 1.30 GRU - ALL
 UA-UA ID 1.25 HKG - ALL
 UA-UA ID 1.25 MEX - ALL
 UA-UA ID 1.25 MTY - ALL
 UA-UA ID 1.25 PEK - ALL
 UA-UA ID 1.25 PVG - ALL
 UA-UA ID 1.25 SIN - ALL
 UA-UA ID 1.20
 UA-UA II 1.30 GRU - ALL
 UA-UA II 1.25 HKG - ALL
 UA-UA II 1.25 MEX - ALL
 UA-UA II 1.25 MTY - ALL
 UA-UA II 1.25 PEK - ALL
 UA-UA II 1.25 PVG - ALL
 UA-UA II 1.25 SIN - ALL
 UA-UA II 1.20
older MCT ORD MCT data - Sept 2016

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 21, 19, 10:02 am

Since it will be a same-terminal transfer (no T5) I think 110 minutes is enough if your flight is delayed less than one hour. But if your flight is delayed more than one hour you have a problem.

You're real question here is not UA related. You're real question is "What is NH's flat tire policy?" and/or "What are the VS award ticket penalties for changing last minute or no showing?"

If a 60-minute delay means you are out the full value of the ticket and stranded in ORD, then I'd go the night before. If VS allows you to reschedule or NH has a policy of accepting latecomers on the next flight free of charge, then maybe risk it.

(And checking bags without through-checking them is a recipe for disaster, don't do that on a 2-hour fake connection. You're adding (a) baggage claim time (b) baggage acceptance cut-off and (c) reclearing TSA to the mix.)
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
I’d invoke the other option.
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Take UA's 7:45 flight.

Or... call DL to see if they will through-check your bags onto NH. They might if you're important to them.
Originally Posted by threeoh View Post
Since it will be a same-terminal transfer (no T5) I think 110 minutes is enough if your flight is delayed less than one hour. But if your flight is delayed more than one hour you have a problem.

You're real question here is not UA related. You're real question is "What is NH's flat tire policy?" and/or "What are the VS award ticket penalties for changing last minute or no showing?"

If a 60-minute delay means you are out the full value of the ticket and stranded in ORD, then I'd go the night before. If VS allows you to reschedule or NH has a policy of accepting latecomers on the next flight free of charge, then maybe risk it.

(And checking bags without through-checking them is a recipe for disaster, don't do that on a 2-hour fake connection. You're adding (a) baggage claim time (b) baggage acceptance cut-off and (c) reclearing TSA to the mix.)
Yeah good point on cut-off and risk the day-of. I did some more searching and the DL RDU - ORD flight the night before can be had for $49/4500 in BE or $84/6500 in Y and then I can just use my Marriott 25k free night CC cert for the Westin O'Hare -- seems like the safer option plus will get my PM benefits
jsloan and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 28, 19, 7:44 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Changing Terminals at ORD? Is 45 minutes enough? SJU -> ORD -> BOI

The website indicates a "terminal change," but I don't know what that means in the case of United at O'Hare.

Surely Puerto Rico doesn't fly into the international terminal? Is this something I can walk without exiting security? Thank you for any info.
Old Oct 28, 19, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BostonGuy View Post
The website indicates a "terminal change," but I don't know what that means in the case of United at O'Hare.

Surely Puerto Rico doesn't fly into the international terminal? Is this something I can walk without exiting security? Thank you for any info.
Domestic flight.

Flight from SJU usually arrives in at T1 at ORD. Flight to BOI may depart from T1 or T2, which is why there is a terminal change indication.
Old Oct 28, 19, 7:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Likely terminal 1 to terminal 2 though BOI could also depart from terminal 1. As much as a 15 minute walk from one end of the "C" concourse to the end of either E or F.
Old Oct 28, 19, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even UA's international flights arrive in the main terminals; as you point out, though, SJU-ORD is domestic. (Edit: UA international flights depart from T1 & T2 but arrive in T5. Which I knew, but forgot momentarily).

UA operates out of Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It's about a 20 minute walk from the far reaches of one to the far reaches of the other. You don't have to exit security.

I wouldn't trust anything it's telling you about gate assignments, though, as they can change at any time.

Last edited by jsloan; Oct 28, 19 at 10:57 pm
Old Oct 28, 19, 7:53 pm

No, shouldn't arrive to international. Presumably that means going from T1 to T2. 45 minutes is tight but possible.

It looks like the last flight of the day. What is your tolerance for being stuck in Chicago?
Old Oct 28, 19, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
just looking at one today you would be in and out of T1. As LarryJ points out it shouldn't be more than a 15 minute walk anyway and all air side.
Old Oct 28, 19, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K
For reference, todays flight SJU-ORD arrived over 30 minutes early.
BostonGuy likes this.
Old Oct 28, 19, 8:35 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
No, shouldn't arrive to international. Presumably that means going from T1 to T2. 45 minutes is tight but possible.

It looks like the last flight of the day. What is your tolerance for being stuck in Chicago?
Very low. Important meeting early the next morning.

My other option is two stops on DL, but each connection (ATL and SLC) is an hour-plus.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
For reference, todays flight SJU-ORD arrived over 30 minutes early.
Thank you for that.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 3, 19 at 10:44 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 28, 19, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Even UA's international flights arrive in the main terminals; as you point out, though, SJU-ORD is domestic.
irrelevant to OP, since SJU is domestic, but international UA flights arrive into T5 and definitely require a terminal change, via bus transfer these days. International flights do depart from T1, but thats also irrelevant to OP.
Old Oct 28, 19, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
irrelevant to OP, since SJU is domestic, but international UA flights arrive into T5 and definitely require a terminal change, via bus transfer these days. International flights do depart from T1, but thats also irrelevant to OP.
I knew that; I just forgot. Thank you for the correction. I'll revise my original message for any future readers.
Old Oct 29, 19, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I knew that; I just forgot. Thank you for the correction. I'll revise my original message for any future readers.
No worries, just don't want people to be confused.

Back to OP and 45 minute connection, though, I've done plenty of 35 - 40 minute domestic connections at ORD and been perfectly fine on almost every one (I typically did them for domestic/Canada destinations with multiple departures - wouldn't do it to a once a day international flight). Some I've needed to run to, some I could just walk normally. That said, there have been 2 hour or longer connections I've missed. It's all a matter of how things are that day - if you arrive on time, and are able-bodied to walk at a normal pace between gates, and know the airport roughly ok, you'll probably be fine. Plane is late, or you have things slowing you down (kids, need to wait for a wheelchair, etc.), or its your first time in ORD, I wouldn't risk it. I also wouldn't risk it if you can not handle missing the connection based on having a meeting right after you land. My days of 35 - 40 minute connections are pretty much over, not because I am opposed necessarily (there's always the next flight)- I'd still do it when traveling on my own, but since almost all of my travel now is with the family, meaning wife and kids (4 and 1 right now). There is no way I'd do anything much under an hour now, and ideally, I aim for 90 minutes to 2 hours. Needing to always stop for something....diaper change, kid that decides they need to go to the bathroom badly just as we arrive at gate to board, kid that decides they want to walk to the all the way to the gate, even though they are slow and we need to be there NOW, etc, just doesn't make short connections work for me personally.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 29, 19, 9:51 am

As others have said, could be a brisk 15-20 minute walk. I don't know if they still run the shuttle from C9 to T2...that can save some time if you are on that side of the C gates. Having gone back and forth between T1 and T2 a ton, i think reasonable odds you make it on the flight. Much much lower odds you get there in time to have room for carry-on
Old Oct 29, 19, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very low. Important meeting early the next morning.

My other option is two stops on DL, but each connection (ATL and SLC) is an hour-plus.
If those are your only two options, and you have an important meeting the next morning, I would take DL. The connections being an hour-plus work in your favor of actually being able to complete the travel as scheduled.

You don't state what time of year it is, but if it's... uh... anytime in the next 10 months or so, Chicago is subject to weather issues that can easily torpedo a 45-minute connection.

The only way that I'd take the UA connection in this circumstance is if there were another UA-operated alternative that I could move to in a pinch. For example, if there were another ORD-BOI flight, or an ORD-DEN-BOI flight that left an hour after ORD-BOI, I'd feel much more comfortable taking UA.

Search this Thread