Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The People Mover /ATS, O’Hare’s (ORD) shuttle train, to close until Fall 2019

E to C gate shuttle discountinedMCT Feb 2021 from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL

UA-UA DD .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .35
UA-UA DI .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DI .40
UA-UA ID 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.20
UA-UA II 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA II 1.20
older MCT ORD MCT data - Sept 2016

Archive: Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
For everyone asking how to get from T5 to the train to T1, this is the sign you want to look for in the arrivals hall (after exiting customs)
Aw, man, finally one I would have gotten right on the Where Am I quiz thread, and you posted it here instead.
goodeats21, tcdtcd and threeoh like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:45 pm

I have a flight tomorrow from BRU to ORD arriving at 12:35pm, followed by a flight to LAX at 1:55pm. Is this connection doable? Will I need to pass security/immigration/...? I suppose my bags will be checked through to the final destination?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
I have a flight tomorrow from BRU to ORD arriving at 12:35pm, followed by a flight to LAX at 1:55pm. Is this connection doable? Will I need to pass security/immigration/...? I suppose my bags will be checked through to the final destination?
First time connecting in the US? Welcome! Unfortunately, I have bad news for you. You will need to pick up your bags and clear both immigration and customs at ORD, and then you will need to drop them again with United.

You’ll then need to transfer via a train (see the picture in the previous post) to your flight and re-clear security.

1h20m is precisely the minimum connection time at ORD. I’d put this in the “if everything goes perfectly” category. It’s not a connection I’d feel great about, and if BRU-ORD shows even a small delay, I’d be checking to see if there’s space available via an alternate route (maybe IAD).
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
You will have to clear immigration, collect your checked bags, and pass through customs. Your bags should be checked through so that you just hand them over before exiting to land side provided your connection is AA or UA. You will probably then have to change terminals via the train and go through security. It is possible to make it, especially if you have Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check but you have a minimum connection time. This is all discussed at length above in this thread.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
First time connecting in the US? Welcome! Unfortunately, I have bad news for you. You will need to pick up your bags and clear both immigration and customs at ORD, and then you will need to drop them again with United.

You’ll then need to transfer via a train (see the picture in the previous post) to your flight and re-clear security.

1h20m is precisely the minimum connection time at ORD. I’d put this in the “if everything goes perfectly” category. It’s not a connection I’d feel great about, and if BRU-ORD shows even a small delay, I’d be checking to see if there’s space available via an alternate route (maybe IAD).
Originally Posted by MADPhil
You will have to clear immigration, collect your checked bags, and pass through customs. Your bags should be checked through so that you just hand them over before exiting to land side provided your connection is AA or UA. You will probably then have to change terminals via the train and go through security. It is possible to make it, especially if you have Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check but you have a minimum connection time. This is all discussed at length above in this thread.
Thank you both for the very insightful responses.

Our connection is indeed on UA. We do not have Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check. I was hoping BRU had already started up preclearance, but apparently it will take a few more years.

Lets say we miss out connecting flight (even though our BRU-ORD flight is on time), what would happen in that case? Would UA book us on the next available flight to LAX (which I think is at 15:40, so giving us an extra 2 hours) free of charge?

Thank you so much!
Old Jun 25, 2022, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thank you both for the very insightful responses.

Our connection is indeed on UA. We do not have Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check. I was hoping BRU had already started up preclearance, but apparently it will take a few more years.

Lets say we miss out connecting flight (even though our BRU-ORD flight is on time), what would happen in that case? Would UA book us on the next available flight to LAX (which I think is at 15:40, so giving us an extra 2 hours) free of charge?

Thank you so much!
They will put you on a later flight with availability at no cost, but be aware that planes are VERY full here now, so it might (likely?) not be on the next scheduled flight.
jsloan and Passportinonehand like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by goodeats21
They will put you on a later flight with availability at no cost, but be aware that planes are VERY full here now, so it might (likely?) not be on the next scheduled flight.
Looks like the OP indeed will arrive late at 13:13, but there are available seats in E+ and E- on the 15:50 LAX flight.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by VRFast
Looks like the OP indeed will arrive late at 13:13, but there are available seats in E+ and E- on the 15:50 LAX flight.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thank you both for the info. I am on tomorrow’s flight, so hopefully I’ll make my connection! Fingers crossed.
jsloan and VRFast like this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Thank you both for the info. I am on tomorrow’s flight, so hopefully I’ll make my connection! Fingers crossed.
Going back to your original posting I see that it was indeed today in BRU when you posted about tomorrow's flight! I guess we should all remember to use dates rather than relative days, not that it matters much in this case.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 2:49 pm

No charge. Confirmed seats on the next flight with seats. You can also fly standby on any flights before that Probably a hotel/meals if needed because of EU regulations. Maybe EUR 600 depending on the cause of the delay.

Don't miss the United recheck counter, after customs but before exiting to the main arrivals hall where the public is waiting. It's on your right.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
No charge. Confirmed seats on the next flight with seats. You can also fly standby on any flights before that Probably a hotel/meals if needed because of EU regulations. Maybe EUR 600 depending on the cause of the delay.

Don't miss the United recheck counter, after customs but before exiting to the main arrivals hall where the public is waiting. It's on your right.
Thank you! We will definitely miss our connection. It is now 11:35 and we are still at the gate (departure was supposed to be at 11:00). Unfortunately the ORD-LAX flight after the one we were supposed to take is completely full, so looks like a loooong day at the airport. Are we entitled to some kind of food/drinks vouchers because we’ll miss our connection? Thank you
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! We will definitely miss our connection. It is now 11:35 and we are still at the gate (departure was supposed to be at 11:00). Unfortunately the ORD-LAX flight after the one we were supposed to take is completely full, so looks like a loooong day at the airport. Are we entitled to some kind of food/drinks vouchers because we’ll miss our connection? Thank you
BRU-ORD is currently estimated to arrive 48 minutes late, so while it’s not a guarantee that you’ll misconnect, it’s pretty likely. By the time your luggage arrives and you make it through customs, I suspect you will already have been offloaded by the UA computers. Hopefully, they’ll already have rebooked you already. Regardless, you should work with the UA agent at the baggage recheck area to get re-accommodated. As threeoh said, look for the United recheck counter to your right after leaving customs but before continuing out to the main arrivals hall. (If you miss it, you’ll have to lug your bags back to UA check-in at T1 and wait in line there).

That said, to answer your specific question: EC.261 applies and gives UA a duty of care to provide meals, and, if necessary, a hotel — but I don’t think it would apply unless you’re going to be delayed at least four hours total (measured by arrival at LAX). You can certainly ask about vouchers, but be prepared to be told ‘no,’ in which case you should save your receipts and then submit them to customer service later if you end up meeting the delay threshold. (If you happen to be Star Alliance Gold, or you’re flying in business class, the provisions might begin a little sooner). Note that UA’s food vouchers are typically $10/person/meal, so even if they give you a voucher you may end up wanting to save your receipts.

Did they provide a reason for the delay? From ExpertFlyer, I see “security” listed — maybe late bag screening? UA is likely to try to deny paying EC.261 compensation, if it ends up applying, by claiming that this was an extraordinary circumstance. (They still would owe you for the meals).

You said “we.” How many are in your traveling party? At the moment, I see four seats on UA’s 8:30 PM departure, and the 9:31 PM departure is wide open. If they’re willing to put you on another airline, there are seats available on the 6:12 PM departure on American Airlines. I’m not entirely sure whether or not UA has to do this in the case of an uncontrollable delay, but you can certainly ask.

If you’re willing to add an additional connection, I also see two seats on a 3:48 PM flight through Las Vegas that would arrive in LAX at 8:17 PM. That’s actually a few minutes earlier than the AA flight is scheduled to arrive.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Wow, almost same delay as yesterday...
Good luck OP.
Passportinonehand likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsloan
BRU-ORD is currently estimated to arrive 48 minutes late, so while it’s not a guarantee that you’ll misconnect, it’s pretty likely. By the time your luggage arrives and you make it through customs, I suspect you will already have been offloaded by the UA computers. Hopefully, they’ll already have rebooked you already. Regardless, you should work with the UA agent at the baggage recheck area to get re-accommodated. As threeoh said, look for the United recheck counter to your right after leaving customs but before continuing out to the main arrivals hall. (If you miss it, you’ll have to lug your bags back to UA check-in at T1 and wait in line there).

That said, to answer your specific question: EC.261 applies and gives UA a duty of care to provide meals, and, if necessary, a hotel — but I don’t think it would apply unless you’re going to be delayed at least four hours total (measured by arrival at LAX). You can certainly ask about vouchers, but be prepared to be told ‘no,’ in which case you should save your receipts and then submit them to customer service later if you end up meeting the delay threshold. (If you happen to be Star Alliance Gold, or you’re flying in business class, the provisions might begin a little sooner). Note that UA’s food vouchers are typically $10/person/meal, so even if they give you a voucher you may end up wanting to save your receipts.

Did they provide a reason for the delay? From ExpertFlyer, I see “security” listed — maybe late bag screening? UA is likely to try to deny paying EC.261 compensation, if it ends up applying, by claiming that this was an extraordinary circumstance. (They still would owe you for the meals).

You said “we.” How many are in your traveling party? At the moment, I see four seats on UA’s 8:30 PM departure, and the 9:31 PM departure is wide open. If they’re willing to put you on another airline, there are seats available on the 6:12 PM departure on American Airlines. I’m not entirely sure whether or not UA has to do this in the case of an uncontrollable delay, but you can certainly ask.

If you’re willing to add an additional connection, I also see two seats on a 3:48 PM flight through Las Vegas that would arrive in LAX at 8:17 PM. That’s actually a few minutes earlier than the AA flight is scheduled to arrive.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
That is very helpful and specific info for the OP. Good on ya, jsloan and good luck Passportinonehand !
jsloan and Passportinonehand like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ORD immigration last week was insane: mid-afternoon it took over 1h30mins to get thru there, resulting in over 2 hrs to make it to connecting flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.