Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The People Mover /ATS, O’Hare’s (ORD) shuttle train, to close until Fall 2019

E to C gate shuttle discountinedMCT Feb 2021 from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL

UA-UA DD .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .35
UA-UA DI .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DI .40
UA-UA ID 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.20
UA-UA II 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA II 1.20
older MCT ORD MCT data - Sept 2016

Archive: Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
Is 2 1/2 hours enough time to make it? ET 510 is an international flight. We are in big class so maybe there is a short line at security.
Does 'big class' mean big chair or big cabin?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:19 pm

Is 2 1/2 hours enough time to make it? ET 510 is an international flight.
Yup, should be enough time, assuming your first flight is on time and your luggage is checked through!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Looking at the FLIFO in Shares, no gate has yet been assigned. Not sure why the app is displaying the gibberish.
Thanks for looking it up!

I fly tomorrow on UA 4538 MCI-ORD then connect to ET 511 which leaves from T5. I see the ATS is closed. So how do I get to T5?.
Good luck! Weather waiver is in place for tomorrow, as heavy thunderstorms are expected to hit Chicago later tonight and possibly tomorrow morning.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Call UA immediately and get Re-routed.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:30 am

I fly tomorrow on UA 4538 MCI-ORD then connect to ET 511 which leaves from T5. I see the ATS is closed. So how do I get to T5?.
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Call UA immediately and get Re-routed.
Looks like UA4538 was cancelled this morning. I hope @susiesan makes it to ADD or whatever the final destination is.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by legalalien
Looks like UA4538 was cancelled this morning. I hope susiesan makes it to ADD or whatever the final destination is.
JRO was her final destination. Hopefully UA can get her to EWR as ET J seats are available on tonight's EWR-ADD flight.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Gold
UA booked us MCI EWR AMS on UA flights, AMS JRO on KLM. The UA flights are business class, KLM is in coach. I am very upset that we have to sit in econ for almost 9 hours when we had biz seats all lined up. We get into JRO at 8:00pm instead of 1m so we lose all of Thursday..
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:25 am

Follow the dramatic highs and lows here:

Travel Waiver: Chicago Severe Weather (August 28-29, 2018)
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by geewhy
I read through the thread and see one person said bus taking less time than train and the other person said the line for bus being very long...I guess it probably depends on the traffic of incoming international flights of the time and the day.
To follow up on my own post, I made the 1hr25min I-D connection without issue. Thankfully everything worked out, flight was on time maybe even 5-10 mins early, global entry was seamless, waited about 10 mins for the transfer bus and sped through TSA precheck security at Terminal 1, arrived at the gate with 10-15mins to spare.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:09 pm

Is my connection time enough for an international flight?

I'm looking at economy award travel between CDG-LAX, and the flight I'm interested in goes from CDG-ORD, landing at 1:40 pm, and leaves for LAX at 3:11 pm. Is this a long enough layover or should I choose the later flight out of ORD which would give 2 hours 20 minutes layover. I'm a US citizen without global entry. I may have to check one of my bags, which I understand I'll have to collect in customs and recheck before I leave for the domestic terminal. The flight is not during the holiday season and is on a weekend a few weeks from now. There are a few later flights leaving from ORD-LAX that evening, so if customs is backed up and I miss my flight, I would hope UA would rebook me on the next available flight.

Is 1.5 hours enough time to clear customs, get to the domestic terminal, go through security again, and make my connection?

On another note, the person I'm traveling with is on United from CDG-IAD-LAX but only has a 1 hour 10 minute layover (similar travel times as mine, arriving 2:50 and leaving at 4 from IAD). We weren't able to book the same flight since I just decided to join this trip that was already planned. Is this short of a layover even possible in IAD?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
With no global entry and a checked bag, I would definitely take the 2h20 connection.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:07 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Even with GE, 1.5 hours can be pushing it. You only need your plane to be half an hour late, for it to arrive at the furthest stand from immigration (quite a lengthy walk), delays in your bag arriving at the carousel, plus a line at security once you get to the domestic terminal, even if you have precheck, and bingo! I always build in at least 2 hours, preferably 2.5-3, at ORD when transiting from int'l to domestic.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:39 am

If you misconnect UA will put you on the next flight with available seats. Not an issue normally, but when there are weather delays and cancellation at ORD, flights do get full, even outside of holidays or busy weekedays.

I concur with previous assessments: take the 2:20 connection. While you could make the earlier flight - with mobile passport or without long lines at kiosk immigration can be a breeze, and I have seen luggage delivered within 20 min of gate arrival - the later connection is far more comfortable.

As to your companion going through IAD, I would ask in the corresponding forum. MCT is 65 minutes if I recall correctly, so it's doable .. but probably uncomfortable.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scubacat1
Is 1.5 hours enough time to clear customs, get to the domestic terminal, go through security again, and make my connection?
On Thursday for me it was 1h15m from wheels down to the door of Terminal 1. So that would likely have been a miss.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:57 am

Need to vent...hortific experience with UA at ORD

First post, and just needed to vent my frustrations with the maddening set up at ORD.

We came in from PARIS-CDG, and having never flown through ORD, I was not aware of the issues with getting from international to the domestic terminals at O’hare.

Customs was actually rather quick. The issue was that the line to get a shuttle bus from terminal 5 to the other terminals probably was close to 2-3 hours long. We eventually gave up and got an Uber.

My issue with United is how on earth can you allow me to book an itinerary that only gives me 1h 40 minutes do connect? They have to know the transfer situation, so how can they allow that? My plane from Paris was an hour late so I was missing it regardless, but even with an on time flight we wouldn’t have made our transfer as it took 3 hours between landing, customs, getting to the other terminal, and clearing security.

Completely unacceptable.

Finally, to top everything off, they rebooked me first to standby, then onto a later flight with a reserved ticket. They but our bags on the early flight and said they would hold them at our final destination in their office. Instead, they left my bag sitting next to the carousel for 4 hours. It easily could have been stolen or confiscated by security. Just completely awful.

Short version...o’hare Is a disaster, and United does not accommodate or book correctly for transfer times through the airport.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 17, 2018 at 9:30 am Reason: moved to existing discussion

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.