Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The People Mover /ATS, O’Hare’s (ORD) shuttle train, to close until Fall 2019

E to C gate shuttle discountinedMCT Feb 2021 from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL

UA-UA DD .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .35
UA-UA DI .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DI .40
UA-UA ID 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.20
UA-UA II 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA II 1.20
older MCT ORD MCT data - Sept 2016

Archive: Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
BRU-ORD is currently estimated to arrive 48 minutes late, so while it’s not a guarantee that you’ll misconnect, it’s pretty likely. By the time your luggage arrives and you make it through customs, I suspect you will already have been offloaded by the UA computers. Hopefully, they’ll already have rebooked you already. Regardless, you should work with the UA agent at the baggage recheck area to get re-accommodated. As threeoh said, look for the United recheck counter to your right after leaving customs but before continuing out to the main arrivals hall. (If you miss it, you’ll have to lug your bags back to UA check-in at T1 and wait in line there).

That said, to answer your specific question: EC.261 applies and gives UA a duty of care to provide meals, and, if necessary, a hotel — but I don’t think it would apply unless you’re going to be delayed at least four hours total (measured by arrival at LAX). You can certainly ask about vouchers, but be prepared to be told ‘no,’ in which case you should save your receipts and then submit them to customer service later if you end up meeting the delay threshold. (If you happen to be Star Alliance Gold, or you’re flying in business class, the provisions might begin a little sooner). Note that UA’s food vouchers are typically $10/person/meal, so even if they give you a voucher you may end up wanting to save your receipts.

Did they provide a reason for the delay? From ExpertFlyer, I see “security” listed — maybe late bag screening? UA is likely to try to deny paying EC.261 compensation, if it ends up applying, by claiming that this was an extraordinary circumstance. (They still would owe you for the meals).

You said “we.” How many are in your traveling party? At the moment, I see four seats on UA’s 8:30 PM departure, and the 9:31 PM departure is wide open. If they’re willing to put you on another airline, there are seats available on the 6:12 PM departure on American Airlines. I’m not entirely sure whether or not UA has to do this in the case of an uncontrollable delay, but you can certainly ask.

If you’re willing to add an additional connection, I also see two seats on a 3:48 PM flight through Las Vegas that would arrive in LAX at 8:17 PM. That’s actually a few minutes earlier than the AA flight is scheduled to arrive.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
wow, thank you SO much for this! Incredibly helpful. We (me and my gf) just landed in ORD. WiFi didn’t work on our flight, but the app says we have been rebooked to the 8.30pm flight arriving in LAX after 11pm, so more than 6 hours later than originally scheduled. Reason for the delay was long lines at security. We arrived at the airport 2 hours before departure, checked-in, dropped off our bags and arrived at the gate 35mins before scheduled departure, so nothing too special.

Where and how do I claim EC261? 600€ (Or1200€?) would definitely help during the 7 hour layover at ORD :-)
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
wow, thank you SO much for this! Incredibly helpful. We (me and my gf) just landed in ORD. WiFi didn’t work on our flight, but the app says we have been rebooked to the 8.30pm flight arriving in LAX after 11pm, so more than 6 hours later than originally scheduled. Reason for the delay was long lines at security. We arrived at the airport 2 hours before departure, checked-in, dropped off our bags and arrived at the gate 35mins before scheduled departure, so nothing too special.

Where and how do I claim EC261? 600€ (Or1200€?) would definitely help during the 7 hour layover at ORD :-)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...st-united.html
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:37 pm

Thank you for me pointing me in the right direction. I asked my question regarding EC261 in that thread.

Also received 2x 10$ meal voucher from the lovely lady at the United recheck counter.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my questions and made this situation much easier, really appreciate it!
jsloan and threeoh like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA mainline from T2

Just a PSA: Some mainline UA flights are now operating from T2. I don’t know if this is a one-off or a regular occurrence, but today’s evening ORD-AUS flight is operating from E6. (No IRROPS; the inbound from BOS arrived at E6 also).

Often when I’m sure someone’s going to be departing on mainline, I’ll confidently tell them they’ll be at T1. Now, I’ll have to add a “probably” qualifier.
legalalien and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:57 am

Heads up for int'l arrivals in T5: the baggage hall's normal restrooms are closed for construction. There are only three single-user restrooms available (near the exit side of carousel 6), and for the entire 90 minutes I was waiting for my luggage there was a consistent 10-15 minute line for the restrooms.

Recommend you hit the head before passport control, or plan to hold it until you've cleared customs.

Non-GE line looked to be about 30 minutes for passport control at about 6pm.
SPN Lifer and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Heads up for int'l arrivals in T5: the baggage hall's normal restrooms are closed for construction. There are only three single-user restrooms available (near the exit side of carousel 6), and for the entire 90 minutes I was waiting for my luggage there was a consistent 10-15 minute line for the restrooms.

Recommend you hit the head before passport control, or plan to hold it until you've cleared customs.

Non-GE line looked to be about 30 minutes for passport control at about 6pm.
Flew NRT>ORD yesterday and arrived in Chicago around 5pm. The line felt never-ending, my mouth was literally agape as we walked by, it took us at least 7-8 minutes of (quick) walking to get to the front of the line and the non-GE line spanned 4-5 people wide for the majority of it.

In my pre-GE days I have waited nearly 3 hours in ATL and the one at ORD looked so so much longer.

When we entered T1 the precheck line was also a solid 20 minutes. The lady checking our boarding passes kept talking about how there was no line just a bit ago and how shocked she was at the backup. Glad to hear it was quicker today. Must have just hit a perfect hellish pocket.

Last edited by rariya; Jul 22, 2022 at 1:07 pm
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by rariya
Flew NRT>ORD yesterday and arrived in Chicago around 5pm. The line felt never-ending, my mouth was literally agape as we walked by, it took us at least 7-8 minutes of (quick) walking to get to the front of the line and the non-GE line spanned 4-5 people wide for the majority of it.

In my pre-GE days I have waited nearly 3 hours in ATL and the one at ORD looked so so much longer.
Yeah, when I entered on June 14 at 5pm it was in total meltdown mode, at least 90 minute wait but possible 3 hours, I have no idea, it was tripled up and hundreds and hundreds of feet long before even entering the customs hall. 80 wheelchairs in the wheelchair line.

Was worth all the GE hassle and fee just for that one entry.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Yeah, when I entered on June 14 at 5pm it was in total meltdown mode, at least 90 minute wait but possible 3 hours, I have no idea, it was tripled up and hundreds and hundreds of feet long before even entering the customs hall. 80 wheelchairs in the wheelchair line.

Was worth all the GE hassle and fee just for that one entry.
Right? My husband and I kept saying how us flying by the insane line had to be the best advertising for Global Entry ever lol. I’m betting most of those people would have happily paid $100 to get to the front just for that one instance, let alone for 5 years.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:07 pm

Hello - Question about possible trip:
(All flights on single PNR).

Arrive ORD by UA Domestic mainline; Conneting time 3 hours.
Depart to ZRH with Swiss Air.

In this case, do we have to exit the UA terminal, take the train and re-clear security in the international Terminal (T5?)?

It seems that the inter-terminal airside transfer bus is not operating at this moment.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Hello - Question about possible trip:
(All flights on single PNR).

Arrive ORD by UA Domestic mainline; Conneting time 3 hours.
Depart to ZRH with Swiss Air.

In this case, do we have to exit the UA terminal, take the train and re-clear security in the international Terminal (T5?)?

It seems that the inter-terminal airside transfer bus is not operating at this moment.
Correct all around. You’ll have plenty of time.
ft4lyf likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by rariya
Right? My husband and I kept saying how us flying by the insane line had to be the best advertising for Global Entry ever lol. I’m betting most of those people would have happily paid $100 to get to the front just for that one instance, let alone for 5 years.
Last week it was 75 minutes at 1:15pm. That got you through Immigration, but then they bottlenecked everyone into a single-file line to approach the single Customs desk that was open (though 5 other agents were standing around). It was an embarrassing introduction to ORD and I'm sure dozens of people--likely many non-US nationals who were not eligible for GE--missed connecting flights.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Correct all around. You’ll have plenty of time.
Thank you! Will update if this itinerary goes ahead!
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:39 pm

Can I Make This Connection At ORD

MSP/ ORD 6:25 am land in ORD at 7:58

ORD/AVL depart ORD at 8:47 AM

I am looking at flight aware and I se the past 2 days the first leg has landed between 14 minutes early and 4 minutes late

I don't have exact gates but when you book it does say terminal change.

Thanks
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:45 pm

should be no problem
flyer4512 and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
MSP/ ORD 6:25 am land in ORD at 7:58

ORD/AVL depart ORD at 8:47 AM

I am looking at flight aware and I se the past 2 days the first leg has landed between 14 minutes early and 4 minutes late

I don't have exact gates but when you book it does say terminal change.

Thanks
Is this tomorrow? Arrival C23 and departure from F25 (which could change several times over) but that’s about as far of a walk as is possible for a domestic transfer on UA - I would say 20 minutes if walking normally. You’ll arrive in Terminal 1 at ORD and depart from Terminal 2. When you go through the tunnel, be careful to follow the signs to Terminal 2 and F concourse - do not exit the terminal as the two terminals are connected.
flyer4512 and iplaybass like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.