Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The People Mover /ATS, O’Hare’s (ORD) shuttle train, to close until Fall 2019

E to C gate shuttle discountinedMCT Feb 2021 from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL

UA-UA DD .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .35
UA-UA DI .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DI .40
UA-UA ID 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.20
UA-UA II 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA II 1.20
older MCT ORD MCT data - Sept 2016

Archive: Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
with a separate ticket you will have to go to a UA check-in desk and get your bag checked in (pay any fees), not a bag-drop. Bag drop needs a existing, valid bag tag. Don't know if the UA check-in at T5 will take domestic bags or not.
Fully understood that I am not looking for a "bag drop" situation. The question is whether there is a full-service check-in desk in T5 for transit passengers, where I can properly check in and then check a bag as part of that process. Or will I have to take the train to T1?

Still would appreciate some insight, or perhaps there is an existing baggage or T5/ORD thread that this can be moved to. Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by planecrashlaw
Fully understood that I am not looking for a "bag drop" situation. The question is whether there is a full-service check-in desk in T5 for transit passengers, where I can properly check in and then check a bag as part of that process. Or will I have to take the train to T1? ...
The concept of full service transit desk does not generally exist in the USA. So your option is going to the normal T5 check-in after exiting customs or going to T1 check-in? What I am unable to answer, but others may, does UA at T5 allow domestic check-ins. Will move discussion to ORD thread to get ORD locals' input.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 19, 2022 at 10:55 am
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The concept of full service transit desk does not generally exist in the USA. So your option is going to the normal T5 check-in after exiting customs or going to T1 check-in? What I am unable to answer, but others may, does UA at T5 allow domestic check-ins. Will move discussion to ORD thread to get ORD locals' input.
Is this true at ORD? I was under the impression the UA desk just outside the first customs doors (before the doors where you greet your family) were a little more full-fledged than just a bag drop. I've seen people there getting new bag tags printed, etc.

I admit it's been a fair number of years since I've connected at ORD I-D with bags, since I live in Chicago.

ETA: Carts are free in the customs hall, and the ATS train is running again. So if you do have to schlep to T1, you can push your cart the whole way.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by threeoh
Is this true at ORD? I was under the impression the UA desk just outside the first customs doors (before the doors where you greet your family) were a little more full-fledged than just a bag drop. I've seen people there getting new bag tags printed, etc.

I admit it's been a fair number of years since I've connected at ORD I-D with bags, since I live in Chicago.

ETA: Carts are free in the customs hall, and the ATS train is running again. So if you do have to schlep to T1, you can push your cart the whole way.
That has been my understanding as well. But I haven't used it myself. I had colleagues who used it when they were coming in to ORD and connecting to other UA destinations. I've had at least two former coworkers who missed flights and got completely rebooked at the UA counter in T5. But that was at least 5 years ago, so things may have changed.
threeoh likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
That has been my understanding as well. But I haven't used it myself. I had colleagues who used it when they were coming in to ORD and connecting to other UA destinations. I've had at least two former coworkers who missed flights and got completely rebooked at the UA counter in T5. But that was at least 5 years ago, so things may have changed.
Also my understanding! UA’s terminal footprint at ORD is a bit convoluted in that T5 is only used for int’l arrivals so maybe that’s why you can get rebooking service at the bag recheck desk there rather than schlepping to T1 for it. UA uses both T1 and T2 for departures - all the more reason for T5 to be able to handle rebooking as T2 doesn’t have UA checkin (only security checkpoint.)
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:27 pm

Yeah, I have a memory of being rebooked on a misconnect at the T5 recheck station but that was 15+ years ago and I wouldn't swear to it.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Thoughts on 1:45 (one hour 45 minutes) MXP-ORD-SMF? The reopened people mover/terminal train certainly helps versus the bus. It will be seven of us, 4 have Global Entry. The United metal MXP-ORD flight shows on FlightAware that delays are generally less than 10 minutes (but luck of draw ultimately). I am not going to check bags, but someone might.

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2022, 9:25 am

If no one checks bags and flight is on time you should be fine with typical immigration/customs conditions -- 45 to deboard and clear border formalities, 10m on the train, and you are arriving at T1 50 minutes before your flight.

If customs is having a meltdown then I'm not sure a bigger buffer would really help. Bags are usually delivered in the 30-45m range so even with checked bags you are probably fine, but just another thing to potentially go wrong.

Even a 15-30m delay could start to make it very tight and a 30m+ delay or atypical immigration line and you're hosed.

The real hidden question with all of these queries is "what happens if you miss it?" Are you returning from vacation and a delay is no big deal? Are you trying to make it to a wedding or important meeting? This is ex-EU so the airline *should* cover hotel and meals in case the first flight is delayed causing a missed connection. But if the flight is on time and there are border delays, maybe not.

There are no later ORD-SMF flights even with a connection, so you're looking at an overnight for sure. Is this a huge burden for your group? Or no big deal?

With 7 travelers then rebooking gets a little dicier. There may not be room for all 7 on the morning flight, so someone might have to connect or wait 24 hours. Is getting split up acceptable?
Old May 26, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Thoughts on 1:45 (one hour 45 minutes) MXP-ORD-SMF? The reopened people mover/terminal train certainly helps versus the bus. It will be seven of us, 4 have Global Entry. The United metal MXP-ORD flight shows on FlightAware that delays are generally less than 10 minutes (but luck of draw ultimately). I am not going to check bags, but someone might.

Thanks!
Have a look at this post I made this morning about an INTL --> Domestic connection by family members last night at ORD:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34281783-post24.html
Old May 26, 2022, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by threeoh
If no one checks bags and flight is on time you should be fine with typical immigration/customs conditions -- 45 to deboard and clear border formalities, 10m on the train, and you are arriving at T1 50 minutes before your flight.

If customs is having a meltdown then I'm not sure a bigger buffer would really help. Bags are usually delivered in the 30-45m range so even with checked bags you are probably fine, but just another thing to potentially go wrong.

Even a 15-30m delay could start to make it very tight and a 30m+ delay or atypical immigration line and you're hosed.

The real hidden question with all of these queries is "what happens if you miss it?" Are you returning from vacation and a delay is no big deal? Are you trying to make it to a wedding or important meeting? This is ex-EU so the airline *should* cover hotel and meals in case the first flight is delayed causing a missed connection. But if the flight is on time and there are border delays, maybe not.

There are no later ORD-SMF flights even with a connection, so you're looking at an overnight for sure. Is this a huge burden for your group? Or no big deal?

With 7 travelers then rebooking gets a little dicier. There may not be room for all 7 on the morning flight, so someone might have to connect or wait 24 hours. Is getting split up acceptable?
We are returning from vacation and so it is not a make or break situation. I can always work remotely if something happens as long as I have space and wifi. It is the last flight of the day to SMF so we are overnight if something goes awry. The next flight is 9:15AM. The most important risk factor is the flight arrival - the earlier the better. At least the UA to UA simplifies things if things go awry and UA is pretty generous with carry-on bags.

Update: we are going to give this connection a shot. We are in the first for of E+ so we can get off as fast as we can from economy. Won't be able to report back till the trip happens.

Last edited by CApreppie; May 26, 2022 at 10:02 pm
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:48 am

Tuesday at 5pm the immigration line at ORD T5 looked to be about an hour and a half, extending hundreds of feet (tripled up) in the hallway before entering the customs hall proper. Before that they had a wheelchair staging area with about 80 people in wheelchairs.

Just a heads up for anyone with a short I-D connection.

Kept along the wall following the "Global Entry // Crew" signs and got through in about 10 minutes.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:02 pm

2 1/2 hour connection time enough?

Hi -- in late September on a Wednesday, we are flying from LAX to ORD and then from ORD to MXP. We originally had a 3 hour connection but due to a schedule change it's now 2 1/2 hours. We will each be checking a bag in LAX through to MXP.

Barring any weird catastrophes, is 2 1/2 hours enough assuming we're 45 minutes late or so? I'm guessing we'll probably need to change terminals in ORD? Will we have to go back through security?

Thanks for any information. We're trying hard not to lose a day in Italy.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:06 pm

The flight from LAX will be arriving in either the B concourse or the C concourse, both of which are in Terminal 1. The MXP flight will depart from one of the middle gates in the C concourse. So it couldn’t me more than a 15-minute walk or so.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
The flight from LAX will be arriving in either the B concourse or the C concourse, both of which are in Terminal 1. The MXP flight will depart from one of the middle gates in the C concourse. So it couldn’t me more than a 15-minute walk or so.
Thank you, that's very helpful.
AirbusFan2B likes this.

Last edited by whitearrow; Jun 19, 2022 at 7:28 pm
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
More than enough time. You might have to travel through the psychedelic underground tunnel connecting concourses B and C, but that won't take very long as aforementioned. I would be more concerned about watching out for the weather in ORD in advance.
jsloan and VRFast like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.