Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paranoiatx
Captain Denny's Retirement flight roll call. Please list your handle, cabin, and when you will be arriving in SEA, where we will arrange a dinner on 5/30.

Pat89339 - F - arriving 5/30
legalalien - F - arriving 5/31 (I can guest 2 into UC at either SEA or ORD)
Jubileesmom-F-arriving 5/30 ( I also can guest 2 into UC. )
Whiskarina - F - arriving 5/30
wxguy - F - arriving 5/30 via Capt Denny's second to last flight
FlyerBeek - F - arriving 5/29
JeepGuyDE - F - arriving 5/29 (need guesting into UC)
jmd001 - F - arriving 5/30 (would appreciate guesting into UC)
texasex95 - Y - arriving 5/31 (hopefully 5/30 if I can change my flight)
alanro - F - arriving 5/30 (I can also guest 2 into UC)
mendicantmonk - Y - arriving 5/30 (need guesting into UC)
SFO 1K - F - arriving 5/30 (I can guest 2 into UC)
wtigerFF - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (I can guest 2 into UC)
YRKInsider - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (can guest 2 into UC)
N1120A - F - Arriving 5/31 UA635 (Probably need guesting into UC)
CleUnited - Y - Arriving 5/30 (hopefully)
cawhite - F -arriving 5/30 UA635
paranoiatx - F - arriving 5/28 (can guest 2 into UC and/or 1 into CL)
Print Wikipost

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
I’m in! ^
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Continental
Is it possible to attend the event on Oct 25th?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hockey7711
I will check with Denny.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Please put me in as a strong maybe. I have some schedule juggling to do, but I think it’s workable. Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
I'm a weak maybe. Hopefully the venue will be BART-friendly.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hockey7711
Denny checked with the Professor and the answer is yes. He doesn’t have the start time yet. If you’d like to attend the class on October 25th, please post to this thread.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
I would like to attend the class ... as well as the dinner.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Captain Denny has been engaged to speak at California State University, East Bay, in Hayward, California on October 25th. He'd like to get together with FlyerTalkers for a dinner the night before, Wednesday, October 24th. He'll be staying in Union City and since I have no idea of restaurants in that area, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who may have a suggestion for a venue.

Since it is a work night for most, I would expect that dinner would be later to accommodate having to get there with commute traffic, but we can work on the details later.

If you'd like to attend, please respond in this thread or send me a PM.
I'm strongly interested. I'm not particularly familiar with the Union City area, but may I be so bold as to make some suggestions anyway?

1. It might be good to have the dinner venue near public transportation -- perhaps close to the Union City BART station?

2. If you examine a map of that area, you'll see that the BART station is near a shopping center called Union Square Marketplace (not to be confused with Union Square in San Francisco ). There's a number of restaurants there, including various Asian and/or seafood places. Would one of those work for Capt. Denny and the other participants?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

The problem is that Denny is not staying near the BART station. In fact, I would guess he has no greater familiarity with Union City than most who will be attending. I can't say if I've ever been to Union City. I have already taken a look at google maps to see if there was any restaurant near his hotel, but other than several national chains there aren't many. I have reached out to some people I know in the area for suggestions, but haven't received any positive feedback as of yet. I will be arriving via BART and plan to grab an Uber/Lyft to wherever the locale may be.

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I'm strongly interested. I'm not particularly familiar with the Union City area, but may I be so bold as to make some suggestions anyway?

1. It might be good to have the dinner venue near public transportation -- perhaps close to the Union City BART station?

2. If you examine a map of that area, you'll see that the BART station is near a shopping center called Union Square Marketplace (not to be confused with Union Square in San Francisco ). There's a number of restaurants there, including various Asian and/or seafood places. Would one of those work for Capt. Denny and the other participants?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Darn it, I'll be in India then. Every time I've run into Captain Denny it;s been a great pleasure. I strongly recommend going to anyone who can make it!
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Pat89339
The problem is that Denny is not staying near the BART station. In fact, I would guess he has no greater familiarity with Union City than most who will be attending. I can't say if I've ever been to Union City. I have already taken a look at google maps to see if there was any restaurant near his hotel, but other than several national chains there aren't many. I have reached out to some people I know in the area for suggestions, but haven't received any positive feedback as of yet. I will be arriving via BART and plan to grab an Uber/Lyft to wherever the locale may be.
Where is the hotel? Is Denny not renting a car to get around? (It's a ways from Union City to Cal State EB Hayward -- or maybe the venue of Denny's presentation is somewhere other than the Hayward campus?)

There might be a usable BART to bus connection for some restaurants.

I noticed that one of the restaurants near the Union City BART (walking distance) is an Indian buffet that looks like it might be pretty decent (and I think covers the possibilities from omnivore to vegetarian to vegan): Favorite Indian Restaurant @ 1706 Decoto Rd. FWIW.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

For those of you wondering, Captain Denny will be speaking at the College of Business and Economics. They were interested in hearing him speak because of this Harvard Business Review Case Study:

https://hbr.org/product/united-airli...W14253-PDF-ENG

Full disclosure: Captain Denny does not received any money from the HBR article.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Continental
I'd like to attend the class only.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:08 am

Dinner

Am interested in participating in the dinner!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:57 pm

There is an Italian restaurant near the Hayward BART Station that according to Yelp is a 4.5 Star without being pricey.
Acqua e Farina
22622 Main Street
Hayward CA 23185

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.