Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paranoiatx
Captain Denny's Retirement flight roll call. Please list your handle, cabin, and when you will be arriving in SEA, where we will arrange a dinner on 5/30.

Pat89339 - F - arriving 5/30
legalalien - F - arriving 5/31 (I can guest 2 into UC at either SEA or ORD)
Jubileesmom-F-arriving 5/30 ( I also can guest 2 into UC. )
Whiskarina - F - arriving 5/30
wxguy - F - arriving 5/30 via Capt Denny's second to last flight
FlyerBeek - F - arriving 5/29
JeepGuyDE - F - arriving 5/29 (need guesting into UC)
jmd001 - F - arriving 5/30 (would appreciate guesting into UC)
texasex95 - Y - arriving 5/31 (hopefully 5/30 if I can change my flight)
alanro - F - arriving 5/30 (I can also guest 2 into UC)
mendicantmonk - Y - arriving 5/30 (need guesting into UC)
SFO 1K - F - arriving 5/30 (I can guest 2 into UC)
wtigerFF - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (I can guest 2 into UC)
YRKInsider - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (can guest 2 into UC)
N1120A - F - Arriving 5/31 UA635 (Probably need guesting into UC)
CleUnited - Y - Arriving 5/30 (hopefully)
cawhite - F -arriving 5/30 UA635
paranoiatx - F - arriving 5/28 (can guest 2 into UC and/or 1 into CL)
Print Wikipost

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:24 am

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes! I know they've got a lot on their hands (and minds) to get ready and settled for the flight, but this really does make a difference. Had a recent American Eagle (Compass) flight where the captain came out and used the FA's PA for his preflight speech. Sure felt different and more personal to see a face rather than just a disembodied voice.

This past week at the port in DIA, I had a delayed flight in my lead area, can't remember where to as the days have blurred together, where the captain of an express flight came out and used the P.A. to apologise about a quick mechanical and then proceded to brief the passengers about the current weather patterns enroute and thanked the passengers for choosing UAL on their travel plans. I thanked the pilot for doing so as my agent working the flight was actually a very new hire and really hasn't dealt with a delayed flight as she was brand new on the floor and just got out of gate training. I was a little rushed on that gate as there was other more pressing issues on a different gate that called to my attention (delayed flight without an agent to work and storms rolling in.) He was a Skywest captain and one of his last words said to me before I had to excuse myself were, "That's ok. We will help her out and make sure we depart with relative ease." I still wish I could remember that flight because it reminded me of the kind of spirit Capt. Denny would have for that instance.

And Pat with numbers,
I am still trying to see if I can get a raw copy of the footage of the last flight from SEA to get the overall picture of FT'ers who attended everything.

Cle2Den
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Capt. Denny is in Brooklyn tonight, if anyone is around and wants to get together for dinner, let me know via PM. He will be at his hotel by 6:30PM Eastern Time.

He will be in the area because LinkedIn has chosen him as one of 10 people who enjoy their job and have (or have had) successful careers. He mentioned there will be a dancer, a chef among others. He will be filming his part on Sunday and Monday.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Very cool! I'm in Manhattan, but TBH I read too late / feel like I am not enough of a distinguished UA flyer to be in his presence (and I was never lucky enough to fly on one of his flights). Very cool that LNKD is giving him an award ^
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Very cool! I'm in Manhattan, but TBH I read too late / feel like I am not enough of a distinguished UA flyer to be in his presence (and I was never lucky enough to fly on one of his flights). Very cool that LNKD is giving him an award ^
You don't have to be a distinguished UA flyer to be in his presence. There are many AA and DL flyers who have shared a meal or beverage with him too. He's just a nice guy who enjoys hanging out with FlyerTalkers.

When he has more information about the video, I will pass it along.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:20 am
Original Poster

The Dahl Fundraiser is coming up on September 10. You can find more information and details here.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

I spoke with Denny Friday. He will be travelling to Guam for a week in April. His son Connor was invited by a Church in Guam to put on a Youth Ministry. Denny will be flying along with another buddy, a retired pilot, to do some diving in the area. This is Denny's first longhaul flight since his retirement. I gave Denny the bad news about the 10-across seating in the back of the 777s, but knowing him he'll be up and about in the cabin anyway.

He also mentioned that his son Connor and his wife are expecting their first baby in August. This is the first grandchild for Denny.

Pat
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Thanks for the update, Pat.

... but you couldn't talk Denny into an overnight around SFO so we could have a dinner??? Bummer.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmd001
Thanks for the update, Pat.

... but you couldn't talk Denny into an overnight around SFO so we could have a dinner??? Bummer.
His itinerary is ORD-NRT-GUM-HNL-ORD and he wanted to know if we would be in HNL at the same time, but I'll be in Europe.

He did say that he wants to fly out to SFO and have a dinner, so we will be organizing something after his trip.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:31 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pat89339
His itinerary is ORD-NRT-GUM-HNL-ORD ...
Dinner possibility while Capt is flying out/back to ORD?
-
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Denny has been enjoying his retirement. He sent a text saying:
I am alive and doing well. 1 year down in retirement. Three sons married in past 11 months. I am doing the kick off speech at the Oshkosh Airshow July 23rd.
Here's the link.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Denny will be in the Bay Area today and tomorrow. Would anyone have an interest in getting together for dinner near SFO tomorrow (Thursday, Sept 6) night? If so, please post to this thread.

Pat
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Denny will be in the Bay Area today and tomorrow. Would anyone have an interest in getting together for dinner near SFO tomorrow (Thursday, Sept 6) night? If so, please post to this thread.

Pat
Yo, Pat. Count me in!

--John
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Denny had to cancel. He is in the Bay Area for a funeral and the group he's with have made plans for Thursday night. He said we'll have to meet the next time he's in town.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Captain Denny has been engaged to speak at California State University, East Bay, in Hayward, California on October 25th. He'd like to get together with FlyerTalkers for a dinner the night before, Wednesday, October 24th. He'll be staying in Union City and since I have no idea of restaurants in that area, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who may have a suggestion for a venue.

Since it is a work night for most, I would expect that dinner would be later to accommodate having to get there with commute traffic, but we can work on the details later.

If you'd like to attend, please respond in this thread or send me a PM.

ETA: Dinner location:
Buffalo Bill’s Brewery
1082 B Street
Hayward CA 94541

Time: 7:00 PM

Attending Dinner:
Captain Denny
jmd001
karung99
KathyWdrf
Pat89339
soupxxxx +1
speng

Attending Class:
jmd001
sggolf
hockey7711

Location at CSUEB
Date: October 25, 2018
Time: 5:00 PM

Venue: Valley and Business Technology (VBT): Room 126

Park lot H will be closest to VBT. Here is a campus map http://www.csueastbay.edu/about/file...campus-map.pdf

Note that VBT is mentioned as VB in the campus map.

Thanks!

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 24, 2018 at 4:14 pm Reason: Attending
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Captain Denny has been engaged to speak at California State University, East Bay, in Hayward, California on October 25th. He'd like to get together with FlyerTalkers for a dinner the night before, Wednesday, October 24th. He'll be staying in Union City and since I have no idea of restaurants in that area, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who may have a suggestion for a venue.

Since it is a work night for most, I would expect that dinner would be later to accommodate having to get there with commute traffic, but we can work on the details later.

If you'd like to attend, please respond in this thread or send me a PM.

Thanks!
I'm in!
Pat89339 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.