Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paranoiatx
Captain Denny's Retirement flight roll call. Please list your handle, cabin, and when you will be arriving in SEA, where we will arrange a dinner on 5/30.

Pat89339 - F - arriving 5/30
legalalien - F - arriving 5/31 (I can guest 2 into UC at either SEA or ORD)
Jubileesmom-F-arriving 5/30 ( I also can guest 2 into UC. )
Whiskarina - F - arriving 5/30
wxguy - F - arriving 5/30 via Capt Denny's second to last flight
FlyerBeek - F - arriving 5/29
JeepGuyDE - F - arriving 5/29 (need guesting into UC)
jmd001 - F - arriving 5/30 (would appreciate guesting into UC)
texasex95 - Y - arriving 5/31 (hopefully 5/30 if I can change my flight)
alanro - F - arriving 5/30 (I can also guest 2 into UC)
mendicantmonk - Y - arriving 5/30 (need guesting into UC)
SFO 1K - F - arriving 5/30 (I can guest 2 into UC)
wtigerFF - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (I can guest 2 into UC)
YRKInsider - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (can guest 2 into UC)
N1120A - F - Arriving 5/31 UA635 (Probably need guesting into UC)
CleUnited - Y - Arriving 5/30 (hopefully)
cawhite - F -arriving 5/30 UA635
paranoiatx - F - arriving 5/28 (can guest 2 into UC and/or 1 into CL)
Print Wikipost

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Old May 27, 2016, 1:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Let's petition to raise the retirement age ^
or special exemptions!!

For the record in 2009 the pilot retirement age was raised from 60 to 65.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

No reason pilots can't fly past 65 as long as they can pass an annual physical. Rather have an experienced 68 year old captain at the helm than a 25 year old on an RJ. Will help solve some pilot shortage issues too.
Petitioning Congress to permit them and the FAA to change a CFR, when it was just changed in 2009 from 60 to 65?
Old May 27, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I just released two F seats and confirmed that they are back in standard award inventory. Unfortunately (for me) a family issue came up and I cannot make the flight ;-) Hope to be able to meet up with Capt Denny sometime later this year. A special thanks to Pat89339 for all of the effort!
Old May 28, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by riphamilton
UA posted a video featuring robert and denny onto their youtube page this morning:

United - 'Becoming a Pilot for United Airlines is my Ultimate Dream' - YouTube
Although I never flew with Capt. Denny, I clearly recall a profile about him in the Wall Street Journal from probably about 15 years ago. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Chicago Seminars about 4 years ago. Capt. Denny has inspired a lot of people with his customer service, and his ideas apply to those of us other industries where customer service is essential.

Captain - great story above, and thanks for the tip regarding pens and gate agents . Happy retirement!
Old May 28, 2016, 9:58 am

No reason pilots can't fly past 65 as long as they can pass an annual physical. Rather have an experienced 68 year old captain at the helm than a 25 year old on an RJ. Will help solve some pilot shortage issues too.
One of the big reasons that pilots (not all pilots, though) wanted to get the age 60 requirement for retiring raised is that having their pension terminated just before retirement was a huge financial hit. Also, Social Security rules have not changed, so there would be a two year gap before that was available.

The upside is for the younger pilots that had longer to financially prepare for their future without the pension. The downside was the seniority stagnation that resulted.

There are few of us that want to fly in their "golden years". It's more a necessity than fulfillment. There are exceptions, obviously, but virtually every pilot that's been flying for a US airline since 2009 planned on being retired at age 60.

FAB
Old May 28, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by mswtravels
Although I never flew with Capt. Denny, I clearly recall a profile about him in the Wall Street Journal from probably about 15 years ago. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Chicago Seminars about 4 years ago. Capt. Denny has inspired a lot of people with his customer service, and his ideas apply to those of us other industries where customer service is essential...
I have a framed copy of that article sitting on the credenza in my office. It serves as a reminder to myself and others that one person can make a difference.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I had some time yesterday and today to write my article/tribute about Captain Denny's retirement. I realized as I wrote it how big a role he has played in my life.

Note that this is a link to my blog -- FT rules require this disclosure.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: UA
Cool video, pizzas for everyone.
Old May 29, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I had some time yesterday and today to write my article/tribute about Captain Denny's retirement. I realized as I wrote it how big a role he has played in my life.

Note that this is a link to my blog -- FT rules require this disclosure.
Matthew, I really enjoyed reading your articles. There are so many amazing stories about how Capt Denny has inspired people, just being himself. Thanks for sharing.

I especially liked reading about how your MM flight transpired. Sometimes I wish I'd done something to make mine a more memorable experience, but it was a Sun night SFO-BOS redeye and the Fri night BOS-SFO hadn't credited yet so it wasn't necessarily apparent to anyone but me that it was a milestone flight. Oh well...maybe if/when I make it to 2MM
Old May 29, 2016, 6:58 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
For those who requested a gate pass and provided the information required, I have sent you a PM with instructions. If you did not receive a PM, please let me know.

Pat
Old May 29, 2016, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Pat89339
For those who requested a gate pass and provided the information required, I have sent you a PM with instructions. If you did not receive a PM, please let me know.

Pat
Pat -

What is scheduled after his arrival? Celebration at ORD? Reception? Dinner later?

Thanks.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:51 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Other than a meet and greet, nothing to my knowledge. There will be some UA folks from ORD there. But they haven't told Denny that there will be anything, sadly.

I know Denny reached out to a few local FTers to arrange a dinner, but that never materialized.

If I learn of anything, I'll post here. There will be a few PR folks at the dinner tomorrow. Maybe they know of something.

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Pat -

What is scheduled after his arrival? Celebration at ORD? Reception? Dinner later?

Thanks.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I know Denny reached out to a few local FTers to arrange a dinner, but that never materialized.
If Capt. Denny is up for it, I'll be happy to arrange something at Shoeless Joe's. They are usually quite accommodating, and I imagine Tuesday night is not terribly busy time for them.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by legalalien
If Capt. Denny is up for it, I'll be happy to arrange something at Shoeless Joe's. They are usually quite accommodating, and I imagine Tuesday night is not terribly busy time for them.
I will be down regardless! I will be driving in somewhat early, arrival by like 4pm so if people are willing I can pop in and see how busy they're expecting to be.
Old May 30, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA635

Second-to-last flight, UA635 ORD-SEA, just swapped from a 757-300 to a 767-200 3-class. Now way oversold but with flat seats and Ch9 . But on a 1-hour MX delay. Wxguy is now in 2K The whole Flanagan family is here in the gate area, and Captain Denny just did his pre-boarding announcement.

They're now offering $500 in ecerts to VDB, with the first nonstop out on AS at 7pm. Oversold by 30!

Captain Denny just told me it might get swapped again tomorrow -- keep an eye on your seats!

Last edited by wxguy; May 30, 2016 at 8:05 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.