Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paranoiatx
Captain Denny's Retirement flight roll call. Please list your handle, cabin, and when you will be arriving in SEA, where we will arrange a dinner on 5/30.

Pat89339 - F - arriving 5/30
legalalien - F - arriving 5/31 (I can guest 2 into UC at either SEA or ORD)
Jubileesmom-F-arriving 5/30 ( I also can guest 2 into UC. )
Whiskarina - F - arriving 5/30
wxguy - F - arriving 5/30 via Capt Denny's second to last flight
FlyerBeek - F - arriving 5/29
JeepGuyDE - F - arriving 5/29 (need guesting into UC)
jmd001 - F - arriving 5/30 (would appreciate guesting into UC)
texasex95 - Y - arriving 5/31 (hopefully 5/30 if I can change my flight)
alanro - F - arriving 5/30 (I can also guest 2 into UC)
mendicantmonk - Y - arriving 5/30 (need guesting into UC)
SFO 1K - F - arriving 5/30 (I can guest 2 into UC)
wtigerFF - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (I can guest 2 into UC)
YRKInsider - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (can guest 2 into UC)
N1120A - F - Arriving 5/31 UA635 (Probably need guesting into UC)
CleUnited - Y - Arriving 5/30 (hopefully)
cawhite - F -arriving 5/30 UA635
paranoiatx - F - arriving 5/28 (can guest 2 into UC and/or 1 into CL)
Print Wikipost

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 8:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Oh, that was you. I was the one with him.
Oh, that was you!

Glad you both took a few minutes to chat!
Old May 31, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Thx to the captain for taking time to take a picture with my kids! They have flown many many miles and they still remember the time a captain gave them wings!! Thx for the new wings Captain!

And thx to UA for allowing us to attend even though we didn't fly in. Awesome job UA.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Oh, that was you. I was the one with him.

----

^ that Oscar was there.

How was food on the flight? I heard rumors about something special.
No special food, but there was a white cake with chocolate frosting served at boarding.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Like LASUA1K upthread, I'm quite sentimental towards UA and this sendoff has been great. I don't believe I've ever flown with Capt Denny and my schedule didn't fit with with his final flights, but living vicariously through FT has been awesome. Capt Denny, I wish you the best in your well deserved retirement!

Thank you Pat89339 for the many parts you've put together on this (getting FTers to UA for passes, posting pictures, coordinating threads & events, etc.), not to mention the month in/month out schedule updates and everything else you've been doing. Capt Denny couldn't have a better PR rep here on FT and however much he's paying you should be doubled. Or tripled.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Like LASUA1K upthread, I'm quite sentimental towards UA and this sendoff has been great. I don't believe I've ever flown with Capt Denny and my schedule didn't fit with with his final flights, but living vicariously through FT has been awesome. Capt Denny, I wish you the best in your well deserved retirement!

Thank you Pat89339 for the many parts you've put together on this (getting FTers to UA for passes, posting pictures, coordinating threads & events, etc.), not to mention the month in/month out schedule updates and everything else you've been doing. Capt Denny couldn't have a better PR rep here on FT and however much he's paying you should be doubled. Or tripled.
Denny has paid me me a thousand times over with kindness, respect, and friendship. With that type of salary, I am truly blessed. I never felt used or put upon. We forged a great friendship over the years. I will miss all those phone calls. He had a sixth sense when I was in a TSA line, boarding a flight, or waiting for a hotel shuttle my phone would ring and it would be Denny. It seems his calls during the day were timed perfectly during a quiet moment between meetings or conference calls. It all just worked.

I wish someone had recorded the speech he made at the dinner. Among other things, he said he had two women in his life, his wife Terri and me. It's a wonder that I made it through that without tearing up.

I especially want to thank FlyerBeek for his outstanding help with the dinner in Seattle. I couldn't have done it without him. If I ever make it back to Seattle I am going to the Steelhead Diner and having the Grilled Columbia River Salmon again.

I hope that many of the photos taken this weekend eventually appear here or links are posted. There were many smartphones and a few real cameras at all of the events.

If you participated in any of the events this weekend, my sincere thanks to you. Denny was truly honored. The Dahl Fund will be receiving a donation in his honor from me and I hope that if any of your lives have been touched by Captain Denny, you will at least think about doing the same.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Denny has paid me me a thousand times over with kindness, respect, and friendship. With that type of salary, I am truly blessed. I never felt used or put upon. We forged a great friendship over the years. I will miss all those phone calls. He had a sixth sense when I was in a TSA line, boarding a flight, or waiting for a hotel shuttle my phone would ring and it would be Denny. It seems his calls during the day were timed perfectly during a quiet moment between meetings or conference calls. It all just worked.

I wish someone had recorded the speech he made at the dinner. Among other things, he said he had two women in his life, his wife Terri and me. It's a wonder that I made it through that without tearing up.

I especially want to thank FlyerBeek for his outstanding help with the dinner in Seattle. I couldn't have done it without him. If I ever make it back to Seattle I am going to the Steelhead Diner and having the Grilled Columbia River Salmon again.

I hope that many of the photos taken this weekend eventually appear here or links are posted. There were many smartphones and a few real cameras at all of the events.

If you participated in any of the events this weekend, my sincere thanks to you. Denny was truly honored. The Dahl Fund will be receiving a donation in his honor from me and I hope that if any of your lives have been touched by Captain Denny, you will at least think about doing the same.
I too hope that photos will be posted. Most of the ones I took are not great.

I do, however, have the recording that you seek. I don't have the very beginning, but what I do have starts right before the part about the 2 women in his life. You may not want to watch it if you are prone to motion sickness, but the sound is fine . I'll look into the best way to get a copy of it to you. It's huge because of the video.

Until recently, I had very little control over my travel schedule, so I too had been living vicariously through FlyerTalk but was honored to be able to fly with him, his beautiful family, and the FTers for his final 2 segments as well as attend the dinner in Seattle. What an amazing experience! I'm a bit bummed that it's over and I have to go back to work in the morning...

Thanks for reminding me about the Dahl Fund. I would be happy to make a donation.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wtigerFF
I too hope that photos will be posted. Most of the ones I took are not great.

I do, however, have the recording that you seek. I don't have the very beginning, but what I do have starts right before the part about the 2 women in his life. You may not want to watch it if you are prone to motion sickness, but the sound is fine . I'll look into the best way to get a copy of it to you. It's huge because of the video.

Until recently, I had very little control over my travel schedule, so I too had been living vicariously through FlyerTalk but was honored to be able to fly with him, his beautiful family, and the FTers for his final 2 segments as well as attend the dinner in Seattle. What an amazing experience! I'm a bit bummed that it's over and I have to go back to work in the morning...

Thanks for reminding me about the Dahl Fund. I would be happy to make a donation.
There are a few photos popping up in the dinner thread--and a good one of you and Denny.

That's great about the video. Thanks!

Also, many thanks for the donation.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:33 am
Original Poster

A word of warning to the people who are graciously posting their photos of the various events. Someone already took the photo I posted of Denny and Oscar and posted it to his images on Instagram. He never asked me and frankly isn't Instagram a place to post photos you took yourself?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
It's common courtesy and has been an unwritten FT rule (for as long as I've been here) to ask first and then to give appropriate credit. Unfortunately it's also been disregarded by many through the years. Thanks for the reminder/warning, Pat.
Originally Posted by Pat89339
A word of warning to the people who are graciously posting their photos of the various events. Someone already took the photo I posted of Denny and Oscar and posted it to his images on Instagram. He never asked me and frankly isn't Instagram a place to post photos you took yourself?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Speaking of photos, if anyone has a good photo of Denny with his family (preferably with Denny in uniform), please send me a PM.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Flanagan Fotos

What a whirlwind trip! From meeting Denny's family, to riding in 2K on a 763 on the second-to-last flight (with Channel 9 and a "tour" of Mt. Rainier), to the great dinner, to meeting Oscar... thanks to Pat and everyone who made it happen!
Attached Images        
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Any thoughts/speculation on what's next for Captain Denny? One would think he would be able to do other work. Then again, I don't think the chief pilot (Bowers) did anything for UA after his retirement. (Though he moved to Illinois - maybe there was a job for him at HQ?).

http://www.northjersey.com/news/busi...76990?page=all
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Great photos.

Marty, glad you could get onboard in ORD.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wxguy
What a whirlwind trip! From meeting Denny's family, to riding in 2K on a 763 on the second-to-last flight (with Channel 9 and a "tour" of Mt. Rainier), to the great dinner, to meeting Oscar... thanks to Pat and everyone who made it happen!
wxguy, it was my pleasure.

Pat

P.S. LOL at my photobomb of your pic with Oscar.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by wxguy
Wow! That's a much better ride than our last meeting with Captain Denny at LAX (Ops Tour) When we both sat in the rear of that small imported car (and you had the middle seat) on the way to Lunch seems to me you traveled in style this time! Thanks for posting. And on a serious side. Captain Denny thanks for all that you have done and availed yourself to the Flying Public. Enjoy your time off. Warm regards..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.