Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paranoiatx
Captain Denny's Retirement flight roll call. Please list your handle, cabin, and when you will be arriving in SEA, where we will arrange a dinner on 5/30.

Pat89339 - F - arriving 5/30
legalalien - F - arriving 5/31 (I can guest 2 into UC at either SEA or ORD)
Jubileesmom-F-arriving 5/30 ( I also can guest 2 into UC. )
Whiskarina - F - arriving 5/30
wxguy - F - arriving 5/30 via Capt Denny's second to last flight
FlyerBeek - F - arriving 5/29
JeepGuyDE - F - arriving 5/29 (need guesting into UC)
jmd001 - F - arriving 5/30 (would appreciate guesting into UC)
texasex95 - Y - arriving 5/31 (hopefully 5/30 if I can change my flight)
alanro - F - arriving 5/30 (I can also guest 2 into UC)
mendicantmonk - Y - arriving 5/30 (need guesting into UC)
SFO 1K - F - arriving 5/30 (I can guest 2 into UC)
wtigerFF - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (I can guest 2 into UC)
YRKInsider - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (can guest 2 into UC)
N1120A - F - Arriving 5/31 UA635 (Probably need guesting into UC)
CleUnited - Y - Arriving 5/30 (hopefully)
cawhite - F -arriving 5/30 UA635
paranoiatx - F - arriving 5/28 (can guest 2 into UC and/or 1 into CL)
Print Wikipost

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:58 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Any DOs in connection with Capt. Denny will be posted in Community and a linked posted here. If you subscribe to this thread, you will receive notification.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pat89339
It's been finally sorted out. I'll lay out the story so everyone knows what's been going on recently and how it is now on the way to resolution.

Denny's 65th birthday is June 5th and he was caught up in a "Catch 22" with the United and Continental 757-767 fleets. Because of the engine differences, Pratt and Whitney vs. Rolls Royce, and the cockpit navigation software, the FAA will not let the pilots fly each others' aircraft. United has been selling many of their 757s to FedEx and the remainder are having software changes to be more compatible with the Continental fleet. As of May 1st all United 757-767 flying will come to an end and the pilots will be on a reserve status until they are trained to fly the Continental 757-767 fleet.

As a result he had only one trip scheduled for April, an ORD-LHR-ORD on April 21st. Flight 938 to LHR and flight 959 return to ORD on the 23rd. It appeared that it might have been his final flight. He would not be able to fly even the sUA 757/767 aircraft during the month of May or June due to the cockpit software changes without the training.

Captain Denny accepted his situation with quiet resolve saying he had a great career at United and was very fortunate to be involved with the FlyerTalk and Inside Flyer communities. He said he will miss the smiling and energetic faces of those who have flown with him and have taken the time to share a meal. He wanted to thank all of you for being a large part of his flying career. Even though retirement is a destination for many, to him it was about the journey and he was proud to have met you along the way!

Yesterday, he received an email from the Denver Training Center scheduling his 4-day training starting March 28. After he completes the training he will need to have a check ride on a 767-400. If this happens prior to April 12, he will be able to bid on a May schedule. If everything falls into place he will return to flying domestic and hopes to meet as many of you as possible during his final flights. If his check ride is after April 12, he will only be able to fly reserve in May, but will bid on flights for the first few days of June. The April 21-23 flight has been taken off his schedule.

He wanted me to let the people in the Denver area know that he'd be happy to meet for dinner while he is in training (March 28-31). He can be reached by email: captdennyflanagan AT gmail.com

He will be sending me a poster size 767 photo that he would like everyone to sign, like a retirement card to him. I will be gathering signatures at DOs I attend and sending it on to others who will bring it to those I cannot attend. If anyone is having an event and would like me to mail it to them, just send me a PM with the details. He said he will give me 5 years to get signatures.
I hope everything went smoothly and I will be able to fly with him in early June!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:50 am
Original Poster

I spoke with Capt. Denny this weekend. He said he expects to have his May schedule the week of April 18th. I will post it as soon as I receive it from him.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I spoke with Capt. Denny this weekend. He said he expects to have his May schedule the week of April 18th. I will post it as soon as I receive it from him.
*fingers crossed*
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Capt. Denny's May schedule has been posted in Post #1

This does not include his final flight.

He has to hold off posting that information until family members, etc. have decided whether they are coming along. He didn't even tell me. However, rest assured, when he does tell me, I will be posting it here.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Addition to April schedule.

Captain Denny just picked up a trip on April 28 to SFO. This will be his last layover in San Francisco.

Please let me know by PM if you would like to join us for a dinner that evening in San Francisco and I'll see what I can arrange on short notice.

Thanks!

Pat
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Arrow Captain Denny's Final UA flight

Captain Denny's final United Airlines flight will be Tuesday, May 31 on UA670 SEA-ORD.

Currently UA has blocked the Y revenue cabin. We do not know when or if they will release any seats. However, award travel is available in both cabins at the standard award level.

Mrs. Captain Denny and two of his five children will also be on board. They are working on the scheduling conflicts for the other children.

There will also be press on board.

Good luck everyone!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Captain Denny's final United Airlines flight will be Tuesday, May 31 on UA670 SEA-ORD.

Currently UA has blocked the Y revenue cabin. We do not know when or if they will release any seats. However, award travel is available in both cabins at the standard award level.

Mrs. Captain Denny and two of his five children will also be on board. They are working on the scheduling conflicts for the other children.

There will also be press on board.

Good luck everyone!
Seems like you can get full-fare Y seats, but only seating in Y+.

From reading on here, it seems like Captain Denny is one of a kind. Never flew on one of his flights, but I wish more UA pilots were like him. Congrats on a long and successful career ^
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Addition to April schedule.

Captain Denny just picked up a trip on April 28 to SFO. This will be his last layover in San Francisco.

Please let me know by PM if you would like to join us for a dinner that evening in San Francisco and I'll see what I can arrange on short notice.

Thanks!

Pat
Captain Denny has graciously arranged a tour of the SFO Maintenance facility at 1:00 pm April 28th. See this thread to sign up.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I see he's coming through DEN with some of his last flights. Any celebration for him in the DEN area? Would love to be a part of it.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
I see he's coming through DEN with some of his last flights. Any celebration for him in the DEN area? Would love to be a part of it.
He mentioned that on the phone yesterday. He said he'd be happy to meet any and all FlyerTalkers on his layovers--specifically mentioned DEN, ORD, and SEA. If you'd like to organize something in DEN, please feel free to do so.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Does he continue onto CLE as a passenger on UA1155 after that SEA-ORD flight?
We should make a reception for him/have a DO in his hometown
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I would expect that there will be some sort of a DO with the UA leaders someplace in ORD on 5/31. I'm speculatively booked on the last flight and onward to CLE on UA1155.

Maybe he would be up for a retirement party in CLE?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
No. He is giving a talk at WHQ on Talent Acquisition on June 1st and will overnight in Chicago.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
He mentioned that on the phone yesterday. He said he'd be happy to meet any and all FlyerTalkers on his layovers--specifically mentioned DEN, ORD, and SEA. If you'd like to organize something in DEN, please feel free to do so.
I would definitely be happy to set something up. Is he willing to go to Downtown DEN or does he want to stay out by the airport? They have train access to Union Station starting today so there are a lot more options if he can make it to DT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.