Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paranoiatx
Captain Denny's Retirement flight roll call. Please list your handle, cabin, and when you will be arriving in SEA, where we will arrange a dinner on 5/30.

Pat89339 - F - arriving 5/30
legalalien - F - arriving 5/31 (I can guest 2 into UC at either SEA or ORD)
Jubileesmom-F-arriving 5/30 ( I also can guest 2 into UC. )
Whiskarina - F - arriving 5/30
wxguy - F - arriving 5/30 via Capt Denny's second to last flight
FlyerBeek - F - arriving 5/29
JeepGuyDE - F - arriving 5/29 (need guesting into UC)
jmd001 - F - arriving 5/30 (would appreciate guesting into UC)
texasex95 - Y - arriving 5/31 (hopefully 5/30 if I can change my flight)
alanro - F - arriving 5/30 (I can also guest 2 into UC)
mendicantmonk - Y - arriving 5/30 (need guesting into UC)
SFO 1K - F - arriving 5/30 (I can guest 2 into UC)
wtigerFF - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (I can guest 2 into UC)
YRKInsider - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (can guest 2 into UC)
N1120A - F - Arriving 5/31 UA635 (Probably need guesting into UC)
CleUnited - Y - Arriving 5/30 (hopefully)
cawhite - F -arriving 5/30 UA635
paranoiatx - F - arriving 5/28 (can guest 2 into UC and/or 1 into CL)
Print Wikipost

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Captain Denny's April schedule is in flux right now. He has only one scheduled flight and that may be changed. I will update you when I have further information.

We are closing in on his final flight. His 65th Birthday is June 5th.
It's truly the end of an era. Sad to see Denny leaving UA.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've been fortunate enough to fly with him twice - both transcons before the merger, and both were memorable - the second one even more than the first, as I was able to chat with him in between his greeting passengers at 2L on the 757. Later I woke up after dozing to see a copy of Age of Flight on my lap with a nice note included. What a treat....and when he retires, he will surely be missed.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Hoping against hope that my one 767 flight in April is his--it's ORD-IAH on a pmUA--so there is hope to see Capt. Denny for a 3rd and final time (as a pilot).
Okay, I will lobby for SFO-CDG 777 on 9 April.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
There are two sUA domestic 757s still in service, slated for retirement in early April. I believe they primarily fly LAX/SFO-Hawaii now. It would be amazing if he could pilot one of the noble fleet's final flights as his final flight!
Old Mar 26, 2016, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
It's been finally sorted out. I'll lay out the story so everyone knows what's been going on recently and how it is now on the way to resolution.

Denny's 65th birthday is June 5th and he was caught up in a "Catch 22" with the United and Continental 757-767 fleets. Because of the engine differences, Pratt and Whitney vs. Rolls Royce, and the cockpit navigation software, the FAA will not let the pilots fly each others' aircraft. United has been selling many of their 757s to FedEx and the remainder are having software changes to be more compatible with the Continental fleet. As of May 1st all United 757-767 flying will come to an end and the pilots will be on a reserve status until they are trained to fly the Continental 757-767 fleet.

As a result he had only one trip scheduled for April, an ORD-LHR-ORD on April 21st. Flight 938 to LHR and flight 959 return to ORD on the 23rd. It appeared that it might have been his final flight. He would not be able to fly even the sUA 757/767 aircraft during the month of May or June due to the cockpit software changes without the training.

Captain Denny accepted his situation with quiet resolve saying he had a great career at United and was very fortunate to be involved with the FlyerTalk and Inside Flyer communities. He said he will miss the smiling and energetic faces of those who have flown with him and have taken the time to share a meal. He wanted to thank all of you for being a large part of his flying career. Even though retirement is a destination for many, to him it was about the journey and he was proud to have met you along the way!

Yesterday, he received an email from the Denver Training Center scheduling his 4-day training starting March 28. After he completes the training he will need to have a check ride on a 767-400. If this happens prior to April 12, he will be able to bid on a May schedule. If everything falls into place he will return to flying domestic and hopes to meet as many of you as possible during his final flights. If his check ride is after April 12, he will only be able to fly reserve in May, but will bid on flights for the first few days of June. The April 21-23 flight has been taken off his schedule.

He wanted me to let the people in the Denver area know that he'd be happy to meet for dinner while he is in training (March 28-31). He can be reached by email: captdennyflanagan AT gmail.com

He will be sending me a poster size 767 photo that he would like everyone to sign, like a retirement card to him. I will be gathering signatures at DOs I attend and sending it on to others who will bring it to those I cannot attend. If anyone is having an event and would like me to mail it to them, just send me a PM with the details. He said he will give me 5 years to get signatures.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Dang - I was going to schedule a trip on April 21 to LHR to be on the flight with him.

Several months ago I was on his outbound and return ORD-LHR-ORD. ^
Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i really hope we'll have the chance to do something like the JFK-LAX DO at some point in may/june!
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:50 pm

Will he also qualify on the 757-300?
Old Mar 27, 2016, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Will he also qualify on the 757-300?
Yes.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
After booking with UA I've been doing quite a bit of reading up on UA/CO, the merger etc. and I came across articles/posts on Capt Denny only yesterday. Sorry to say my 767-400 flight is after his 65th birthday but I hope some of the captains and crews will take after him!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FBWFTW
After booking with UA I've been doing quite a bit of reading up on UA/CO, the merger etc. and I came across articles/posts on Capt Denny only yesterday. Sorry to say my 767-400 flight is after his 65th birthday but I hope some of the captains and crews will take after him!
He also flies the 757. This thread will have his schedule posted in Post #1 when it is available. If BOS is on his schedule, he is always happy to meet for over a meal at his layover, even if you've never flown with him.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:04 am

He also flies the 757. This thread will have his schedule posted in Post #1 when it is available. If BOS is on his schedule, he is always happy to meet for over a meal at his layover, even if you've never flown with him.
That's awesome. Is his schedule somewhere around here?

Last edited by FBWFTW; Mar 28, 2016 at 9:05 am Reason: Im blind apparently
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FBWFTW
That's awesome. Is his schedule somewhere around here?
When it is available, I will post it in post #1. At this point his next schedule will be posted after April 18, if he gets his check ride before April 12th. Otherwise it will be posted after May 18.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:19 am

When it is available, I will post it in post #1. At this point his next schedule will be posted after April 18, if he gets his check ride before April 12th. Otherwise it will be posted after May 18.
Thanks so much Pat I appreciate it. I may shoot him an email to see if lunch or dinner might be possible at some point.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Count me in for any FlyerTalk DO - I've never flown with Captain Flanagan and it sounds like it would be a real treat!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.