Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by jetaway96
Sep, 10th 01, I was working flights from IAD-BOS-ORD-OMA. The first 2 segments were on the 757-200. The next day, we departed early morning flight from OMA and heading to DEN. As we were landing, it happened. We found out what was going on as we were walking down the concourse. I was stucked in DEN for 4 days.

Sep 10th , 02. I had the exact same trip paring. I almost calling sick for the trip and about to have a break down. However, I tried not to let them win and work that unevenful trip.

To all the people who has lost their lives on Sep 11th ,01. You are always in my mind. I have worn the memorial pin on my uniforms ever since.
With humility, thank you, for your service and for your hard work in keeping all of us safe.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Hard to believe that it has been 13 years ago already.

Let us not forget N591UA & N612UA.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:46 am

13 years, never forget

Let us take a moment, to remeber our fellow United passengers on that horrific day. Take time for being grateful today
travelmom4 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Amazingly, we are now at a point where a great many American teenagers have no memory of 9/11 and no memory of a world other than one with terrorism and mideast wars as routine.
Like December 7, 1941 and November 22, 1963, September 11, 2001 is beginning to slide into history. There is a Reddit thread running strong today about 9/11, and the majority of posters were either too young to remember it, or were in second or third grade and principally recall being annoyed that their cartoons had been knocked off the air.

Last year on this day I answered a sincere AskReddit query: "Those of you who recall 9/11, what was it like?" I told my little story about flying into DCA on 9/10, getting stuck on 9/11 at a hotel bar six blocks from the White House as weeping strangers embraced and fighter jets screamed overhead -- it was like one of those scary little '80s HBO telefilms about the countdown to World War III -- and finally driving nonstop back to Seattle in a miraculously acquired Avis car with three co-workers. (I wrote an FT trip report at the time.) I got about a hundred curious questions from younger Redditors who had never heard such a narrative, let alone lived it. It made me feel like Methuselah, and 9/11 was only 13 years ago.

EDIT to add link to the TR I wrote a couple of days after 9/11, for those interested: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-via-avis.html

Last edited by BearX220; Sep 11, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
I received a text this morning, September 11, 2014, from the brother of Daniel Brandhorst who was a passenger on UA175 with his partner Ronald Gamboa and their three year old son, David Gamboa-Brandhorst. They were returning to Los Angeles after a family vacation in the Boston area.

I had assisted the Brandhorst family after the event with financial and estate tax issues.

Every year on this day I feel saddened by the loss of that family and all of the others who perished that day.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by BearX220
Like December 7, 1941 and November 22, 1963, September 11, 2001 is beginning to slide into history. There is a Reddit thread running strong today about 9/11, and the majority of posters were either too young to remember it, or were in second or third grade and principally recall being annoyed that their cartoons had been knocked off the air.

Last year on this day I answered a sincere AskReddit query: "Those of you who recall 9/11, what was it like?" I told my little story about flying into DCA on 9/10, getting stuck on 9/11 at a hotel bar six blocks from the White House as weeping strangers embraced and fighter jets screamed overhead -- it was like one of those scary little '80s HBO telefilms about the countdown to World War III -- and finally driving nonstop back to Seattle in a miraculously acquired Avis car with three co-workers. (I wrote an FT Trip Report at the time.) I got about a hundred curious questions from younger Redditors who had never heard such a narrative, let alone lived it. It made me feel like Methuselah, and 9/11 was only 13 years ago.
I was in the air flying to DTW when this happened - landing in DTW was surreal. My wife was beside herself as she couldn't gert in touch with me... I then made the mistake of cutting through Canada to try and get back home to NY. Not my finest decision...
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Even 13 years later this is and will continue to be a very personal issue for all. Let's focus discussion here on our remembrance of 9/11 and address other topics elsewhere.

WineCountryUA, UA Moderator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 11, 2014 at 1:53 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I still remember sitting at my desk in my office at the old Emery Worldwide that day. I wasn't really much of a business traveler yet at the time, but our old operations manager stuck his head in my door and said "hey, did you see a plane hit the world trade center?" My first response was "was it one of ours?" We had, just the year before, lost a plane in an accident in Sacramento.

Jumped on CNN.com, started to get a picture of what was going on. We turned on the TV and nobody got any work done the rest of the day. My first wife worked at a Navy Base. I told her to get her butt home. She eventually did, and she was off for 2-3 days afterwards while they got security lined up (she was a civilian working for the DoD). Was a crazy several days it was for us whose jobs were impacted directly by the event, although not nearly so much as many others.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Last year on this day I answered a sincere AskReddit query: "Those of you who recall 9/11, what was it like?"
Bear, I would be most grateful if you would post a link to your story over at Reddit.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Although I officially became a US citizen 3 years ago, I believe in my heart that I in fact became a citizen 13 years ago whilst watching the days events unfold.

Early this morning driving past my local fire station, 4 firefighters, alone outside the station, were standing to attention whilst one of them was reading from a list of I expect, all the names of firefighters and emergency response members lost that day.
I just about lost it as I drove by.
travelmom4 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
Bear, I would be most grateful if you would post a link to your story over at Reddit.
Here you go, though the FT TR I linked to above is a bit longer-winded.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...ow_did/cc5cb7k
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I think everybody remembers where they were on 9/11.

I flew to ANC on 9/10 and remember that day clearly, watching the glaciers on the right side of the airplane as we approached the airport. It was truly one of the most breathtaking flights I had ever been on. I don't remember anything about that evening as it was uneventful....probably a bad hotel meal, e-mails, and ironing my clothes for the week. I was at the Courtyard ANC airport.

In the morning I woke up to get ready to go to work and turned on the TV just after the first plane hit. Knowing that my wife was on a flight that morning I quickly called her, she said they were taxing out to the runway in ATL, had turned around, and had just arrived back at the gate. None of the passengers had been told anything yet. I told her "Your trip is cancelled. leave the airport right away, do not say anything to anyone at the gate, just leave, take Marta to Buckhead and take a cab home. Do not wait in the airport. Get out of there - NOW." For the first time, she actually listened to me. She knew something bad had happened.

I called my client and of course we agreed we would not complete our work for the week. He did meet me at "Gwennies" for some pancakes just so we could eyeball each other for the first time. We both had other things on our mind.

After that, no e-mail, phones, anything. Everything was locked up. I did have TV at the hotel and watched everything unfold. I got up in morning, took the bus downtown, ate, walked around, and came back and watched some more. This went on for two days.

That afternoon, my phone actually rang - I was not expecting it since it had been dead. It was my boss wondering if I was OK. Stories of people renting U Hauls to get home since all the rental cars were taken. Some dude in Vegas actually bought a car to get home. I had no other options in ANC but to wait.

I took the very first flight that left ANC when things started moving again - the redeye on Thursday night. DL was able to reset a good 1-2 days before anyone else. I had a very strange individual next to me on that flight, and it sounds silly now, but I wondered exactly who this was and what they might do. For the first time, I did not feel safe being on an airplane.

I got home Friday night and was supposed to travel Saturday for my high school reunion. I blew it off.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
I will never forget. My uncle was murdered in the World Trade Center that day. Today I had a couple of cold beers in his honor.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:34 pm

My college roommate's uncle was the pilot of the flight that crashed in the pentagon. A moving day to think about that as I flew from iAd-cmh this am
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I was a passenger on US airways flight on 9/11. Landed just as national airspace system was shut down. Heard the news on Howard Stern radio.

Piloted Air Force aircraft over NYC on 9/12, WTC site still smoldering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.