Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Were the people in the town paying your bar and restaurant tabs or were they inviting folks into their homes for meals, etc? I had heard of this (being invited to private homes) happening with the folks who were diverted to Newfoundland for a few days. My dad always says "most people are pretty nice". That terrible day brought out the best in many people.

Cheers,

yrf
This story should hearten Putt4eagle.

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/gander.html
Old Sep 11, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
It is 9/11 once again and time for me to once again read OP's (putt4eagle) rendering of that horrible day.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Thanks for bumping this one up again RED. The OP made another post in the thread as well that seems as applicable today as it was in 2005; prescient even. Reading these posts again make me wonder what ever happened to Putt4eagle...I don't think he's posted after December of '05..

Originally Posted by Putt4eagle
This post saddens me... breaks my heart, actually. I don't know what happened to us. We... blue states, red states... Yankee fans, Red Sox fans.. pro-life, choice, black & white, ... weeee were so together the days following the horrible events of 9-11. We watched our POTUS climb on top of the debris pile with that fireman and talk through that bull horn. "and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear from all of us soon." I remember thinking we are on the verge of next "greatest generation". We weren't. We are not "we" anymore. This country is groups of "us" and "them" again. How did we get here?

And please.... before you reply with your political view, right or left, stop. I don't want to hear your opinion. I am an intelligent person. I read the papers, watch the news. You people who have to constantly score political points insult my intelligence. You offend me. I will make up my own mind about the people who run this country and cast my vote accordingly. It was a rhetorical question. I just thought the Bush/bin Ladin reference made in this post was the kind of cheap shot that has reduced us to the bickering a-holes we have become. We could have been like our grandfathers... the greatest generation. But we didn't. We all collectively have failed our children. That is sad... so sad.
^^
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Many thanks to Putt4Eagle and AluminumDriver for the thoughtful posts on this very sad day. As I read the stories about those who helped strangers to get home, ATC/FAA working quickly to get the planes down, FA's, passengers and pilots ready to defend the cockpit at any cost, it makes me very proud to be an American.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5* Gold, HH Diamond
Red, I appreciate your bumping this thread. I had not seen Putt4Eagle's post before today.

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:53 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
My thanks, as well. I flew today (PDX-DEN) and was struck once again by the way the world changed 8 short years ago. My heart goes out to all of those who were impacted by the events of that day, and I think that they are more far-reaching than many realize. My thanks to both AD and Putt4Eagle for their sharing with me. It helped me regain perspective that's easy to lose.

Blessings...
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:21 pm
Suspended

thank you for writing this post and for bumping it. i still have tears in my eye right now. it is true - we will never forget. it's amazing how 8 years later, all of us can remember exactly what we were doing that morning, and how the world changed so much that day.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
Another thanks to RedEyeDelight for bumping and Putt4Eagle and AluminumDriver for sharing. Remarkable stories, read for first time.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Huge thanks for the post and the bump. I just got into Newark after landing in JFK, and I stopped by WTC on the way. Wow. Just wow.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
A moment for Jason Dahl, Leroy Homer, Victor Saracini, Michael Horrocks, and the crew and passengers of UA 93 and UA 175.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:24 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Todd Beamer
Scott Powell
Edmond Young
Old Sep 12, 2009, 2:36 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by aauaflier
thank you for writing this post and for bumping it. i still have tears in my eye right now. it is true - we will never forget. it's amazing how 8 years later, all of us can remember exactly what we were doing that morning, and how the world changed so much that day.
Agreed, this thread has again brought tears to my eyes, although I saw it last year. What a fantastic writer the OP is and also again, thanks to AD for sharing with us.

Thanks for bumping it RedEye.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This is for the four graduates of Rye High School, Rye, New York killed on that day. Including one on AA 11.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
Still as moving as the first time I read it. Eight years, and there will never be enough tears for those whose lives were taken, and those who used their lives up defending and protecting others.

To the families and friends of those killed: my generation will never forget.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Times goes by, memories outlive. I hope someday those in charge for this will be paying but I doubt it. It´s still hard to prove the simply unbelievable - yet we know...

F.R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.