Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page > Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Old Sep 11, 17, 9:11 am
Formerly known as flyerdude88

Programs: DL/UA Silver, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton/Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for bumping this up as always. Can't believe it's been 16 years. Can't believe there is a whole generation now alive who hadn't even been born on 9/11 and are older than I was (12 almost 13) on that day.
Old Sep 11, 17, 1:21 pm

Programs: United 1K*G / Marriott Gold /SPG Gold / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I still remember my Mom waking me up that morning in California. It was about a week before I moved away to college so I was enjoying the last bit of time to sleep in. I actually went back to bed for a few hours after groggly looking at the TV.

Today I am flying EWR-SFO which is my first time flying on 9/11. 10 years living in NY each year it would still hang over my head when I would take the subway or think of potential things that could happen for an anniversary attack. Walking by the ESB an hour ago to meet a friend on his lunch break I had a similar "what if" feeling.
Old Sep 11, 17, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I've read this post just about every year. Wonderfully written, and just as chilling each time. I was friendly in college with one of the heroes on UA93. When I read his name as a victim and as one of the leaders, it was numbing....He was an athlete and a leader, and there are likely thousands of people still alive because of what he and his fellow passengers were able to accomplish in a matter of minutes.

My first son was born on 9/12/01. I would take the PATH into the WTC every morning, but my wife had begun early labor and asked me to stay close to home. I would've been in the WTC around 8:30 and likely out of harm's way....but I still can't shake it.
Old Sep 11, 17, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA1K .6MM
Just received this in the mail today (purchased online), 9/11/17.

“In my short tenure as United’s chairman and chief executive officer, I’ve observed a level of resilience among our employees that I’ve frankly not encountered anywhere else during my career. I’ve witnessed not only the strength of our employees’ commitment, but the warmth with with which they display it to our customers and each other. That heartfelt dedication, that resiliency, that steely determination to overcome all obstacles, is what makes me confident that we can rebuilt this company and live up to the promise our 75-year history.”

-John W. Creighton

March 8, 2002

Last edited by tuolumne; Sep 11, 17 at 8:41 pm
Old Sep 11, 17, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I read this thread every year. Still can't believe it's been so long since that day.

If you've never been, I highly recommend a visit to the UA 93 memorial in Shanksville. I flew out there in January and it was extremely moving.

747FC likes this.
Old Sep 11, 17, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / GlobalEntry / 1.2MM
Thank you for sharing.

I was really moved by what they posted today.

[QUOTE=tuolumne;28804405]Just received this in the mail today (purchased online), 9/11/17.
tuolumne and 747FC like this.
Old Sep 12, 17, 1:18 am

Programs: UA PGMM, MR LP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*
Thanks, snowed. I had not seen that message from United. Moving to say the least...
Old Sep 12, 17, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by snowed View Post
Thank you for sharing.

I was really moved by what they posted today.

I hadn't seen this, but that is very, very moving. Thanks for sharing!
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:58 pm

I had returned from my first European trip on 9/9/01. I thought that would be my first and last trip.

I have traveled every year since then domestically and internationally.

My office used to overlook SNA, I would often watch planes land and take off. The sight of a plane landing would fill me with joy and dreams of taking off to somewhere...anywhere. The plane had a smile.

Since 9/11/01, the face of a landing plane has turned in to an angry scowl.

Search this Thread