Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 (Reconfig2-class International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Post in the thread with a comprehensive summary of best E+ seats

This thread is about the 2-class pmUA 767-300. Link to the 3-class pmUA 767-300 thread.
and the newest 763 config discussion is in 767-300 v3 -- Polaris seat

Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on 763 (Reconfig2-class International)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I’ve got an AMS-ORD flight in business coming up next month, and it’s loaded with this configuration. I’ve not flown it before, so have a n00b question to which I was unable to find an answer. The seat map on UA’s website and EF both show 1A as missing. I checked the crew rest thread and it doesn’t indicate that 1A is a crew rest seat—indeed it would be odd to have a crew rest seat in the window and a passenger in the adjacent aisle.

I've searched high and low and can’t see what’s up. If there’s a guarantee of 1A going empty or being an occasional crew rest seat, I’d pick 1B on a westbound TATL in a heartbeat. Is that the case? TIA
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
BA Y vs United Y

I'm usually pretty loyal to BA on long haul - the only other carrier I have flown with of late being Air Canada (which I think falls down on service compared to BA). However some pretty amazing fares have tempted me to try United on a trip to Chicago. 317GBP for economy return, booked on Hopper. Pleasantly surprised to find that this is not even basic economy, it is normal economy, with 2 pieces of hand luggage and seat election included. Not traveling till August but will report back on my observations Vs BA. Any thoughts and tips in the meantime are appreciated!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 12, 2018 at 8:54 am Reason: merged into master thread on aircraft
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Download the app - leagues ahead of BA and you can seat swap up to boarding for those bonus empty seats
williamn78 likes this.

Last edited by mikeyfly; Jun 11, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I would say this depends on aircraft type being used by each carrier. Anything would beat UA’s 767.

BA on the A380 I would suggest. Upper deck, with new Y catering would be the way to go.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:58 am

Well I am on the 767...what's so bad about it? I like the 2-3-2 layout.
BA was 700GBP for the same days, so it was hard to resist UA.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
£316 v £700 is totally understandable to choose UA. I’m just saying (based on personal experience) UA 767 had old seats, outdated IFE on the smallest screen. BA - comfortable seats, good new IFE, quiet ride on the A380 and great service even in Y.

williamn78 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:06 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
£316 v £700 is totally understandable to choose UA. I’m just saying (based on personal experience) UA 767 had old seats, outdated IFE on the smallest screen. BA - comfortable seats, good new IFE, quiet ride on the A380 and great service even in Y.
I think this is a situational thing. If you're travelling as a couple then the 2:3:2 layout is a big bonus. I also find those old seats pretty comfortable compared with the new slimline ones, tbh. The cost is the tiny IFE as you note. But if you're flying on a red-eye and just want to sleep anyway what difference does that actually make?

Whatever the plane I suggest you look at spending some of your cost savings on Economy Plus (the extra legroom seats). I find it makes a big difference to flight comfort (but do note that this is in no way Premium Economy, you get no extra service or benefits beyond extra legroom and a power socket).
williamn78 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:49 pm

Economy plus is over 100GBP extra per leg. Do you think its worth it?
I believe some of the 767's have new interiors? Not sure if they are on this route though.
Sorry, we're getting a bit off topic for a BA board...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
I've had some very competitive United Economy fares over the years. The generally large, fleetwide Economy Plus is a bonus (very welcome free upgrades!), 2x3x2 Y is great, and having a big station on either end good for IRROPS too.

It's hard to justify double the price even with status (lounge, bonus miles etc.) when there's a wingtip to wingtip nonstop. The IFE is still a personal TV, albeit on loop on the 3-class planes (IIRC) but not unusable and there's always an iPad backup.

LHR-ORD is still short enough for this not to be too bad of a trip. Would look harder at alternatives on something like Texas or California where there's significantly more time in the cruise between meals without anything else going on, but otherwise I'd go for it and pocket the savings.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by williamn78
Economy plus is over 100GBP extra per leg. Do you think its worth it?
I believe some of the 767's have new interiors? Not sure if they are on this route though.
Sorry, we're getting a bit off topic for a BA board...
Value is always subjective. It's roughly a 9 hour flight westbound, or £11/hour. It isn't premium economy like WTP you're just getting extra legroom. Regular UA legroom is about the same as a BA WT seat, so how comfortable are you in those? For me, I'd pay for it, especially since you still come out ahead. FYI, Seatguru says:
UA: 31"
UA E+: 34"
BA WT: 31"
BA WTP: 38"
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any thoughts and tips in the meantime are appreciated!
Flown UA twice....they were both enlightening experiences.

For up to date advice on the UA Y product probably best to ask in the UA forum. They're a friendly bunch. ^
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
It's hard to justify double the price even with status (lounge, bonus miles etc.) when there's a wingtip to wingtip nonstop. The IFE is still a personal TV, albeit on loop on the 3-class planes (IIRC) but not unusable and there's always an iPad backup.
The good(?) news is that there are only 5 (soon to be 4) 763s in the UA fleet with the old (1990s-vintage) Y seats — which many people on the UA forum would say are the most comfortable Y seats in the fleet, FWIW; the remaining 20-odd 763s have been reconfigured with the new Y seats with IFE and in-seat power and all the usual bells and whistles (but they've kept channel 9, hooray). And 2-3-2 is always a big plus.

Also if you're flying LHR-ORD there's a reasonably high chance of getting one of the UA (ex-PA) LHR-based cabin crews which are some of the best in the fleet, IMHO.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I am on the 767...what's so bad about it? I like the 2-3-2 layout.
BA was 700GBP for the same days, so it was hard to resist UA.
IMO, when sitting in Y on UA, the 767 is the most comfortable aircraft. Before becoming 1K I would pay for Y+, definitely worth it.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

This is a very recent 767 E+ photo:
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:10 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As we have moved significantly away from anything to do with BA, and the discussion has polarised towards UA’s planes, we’ll move this to the United forum where the OP should get some more comprehensive advice on the benefits and pitfalls of their product offering.

NWIFlyer
Moderator - BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.