Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA Lounge Access in Shanghai (PVG)" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2001, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

As a Premier Exec member checking in at Pudong Airport and boarding a UA flight just the other day, I was told first by an agent, then by his supervisor, that as a lowly Premier Exec member I could not gain entrance to the Star Alliance Lounge at PVG!

I was told that because the Star Alliance lounge was "too small" the Shanghai agents restrict entrance to this lounge to 1K members only. When I pointed out that lounge access was a benefit of PE status, I was told that I was "confused" about the rules.

Has anyone else come across such hubris and local interpretation of the rules at PVG?

Old Nov 26, 2001, 4:59 pm

Yes, I had a similar experience at PVG a little over a year ago. I am also a Premier Executive (and an RCC member). I was flying out in economy class. In my case they invited me to use the lounge but told me that they were extending a courtesy in doing so.

It is true that the lounge is small. They said they let me in because it was not busy at that particular time.

By the way, I love your topic title!

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited 11-26-2001).]
Old Nov 26, 2001, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Globehopper:

I was told that because the Star Alliance lounge was "too small" the Shanghai agents restrict entrance to this lounge to 1K members only.
</font>
To be honest, that makes sense to me, as the lounge there is quite small (and dumpy, I might add). IMO the public areas of PVG are significantly more comfortable than the lounge anyway.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pete:

By the way, it was fairly good as lounges go.
</font>
We appear to have different opinions on this, Pete, so I feel compelled to add some support to my position. (I'm not challenging you or anything, just dotting my I's and crossing my T's.) My last several flights out of Shanghai have been very full, and on one occasion there was another *A flight leaving at the same time. Consequently, the crowds were unbearable. Other pet peaves: 1) dirty bathroom, 2) architecturally, kind of reminds me of an undorned college classroom {think 50'x75' rectangular box}, 3) tired buffet spread, and 4) nowhere to plug in my laptop and no public computers {I'm not totally sure of this point, but I never managed to get online there and I usually do try my best}.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
The thing that gets me the most here is the attitude of, "We'll make an exception for you, just this once."

Why does United, or any other airline, have to make us feel like they are doing something special when they are not? This is not a "one time only exception." This is their policy! And for them to act as though they are bending over backwards to accomdate you is just wrong.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 5:53 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Im not sure United wants any supervisor in a given airport to overrule rules of a worldwide alliance of major airlines. If this would have happened to me, I would have asked the supervisor who gave him the authority to overrule the UA CEO. Write UA an email about this, they should send you at least some drink coupons...
Old Nov 26, 2001, 6:31 pm

In my original posting in this topic, I wrote "By the way, it was fairly good as lounges go." I then edited my post for other reasons (mostly to add the praise for the topic title) and, in view of moondog's comment, decided to edit out my appraisal of the lounge and reconsider it.

Having done so, I will say again that I found it fairly good. When I was there the toilet was pleasant, there was a decent variety of newspapers, and the food on offer was better than most. I did not try to use my laptop.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
It's been about a year since I was in PVG, but at that time, there were two ANA lounges, one the Signet (I think that was what the ANA F class lounge was called) and one the Club ANA. I (a 1K) have been invited to use the Signet lounge each time I was in PVG, and my colleague (a 1P) was invited to use the Club ANA lounge the one time I travelled with him. We were in NC for all trips. The Signet lounge was, in fact, small.

Could you have been going to the F class lounge?

Or is there now a separate *A lounge?

Greg
Old Nov 26, 2001, 8:15 pm
mjm
Original Member

As I recall the lounge is in fact an ANA one by name, but it does have a free standing Star Alliance sign in front of it. This may be the source of the agent's confusion. That they may not see it as a Star Alliance lounge is my best guess. That does not excuse the fact that the sign out front pretty well makes it one. It is however the place to which they offer passes to their C and F passengers. Paper passes are required to gain entrance (or a boarding pass showing C or F). Neither lounge rates too highly compared to what you will see in SFO or NRT. It is past the area where smoking is allowed so I prefer to spend time upstairs in the airier part of the airport and pop down to the smoking room periodically. Now the smoking room is a bit stark. That is for sure.

PVG is the fastest airport I have seen from check-in to gate so going later, spending less time there, and checking out the goodies on sale on the level above the gates can make it a bit easier. Phones are there for local calls and if you have a local provider or your provider has a local access number they can be used. Same with the pay phones at the far end of the lounge.

Zeiwei,

Mike
Old Nov 29, 2001, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pete:
By the way, I love your topic title!
</font>
Thanks! Globehopper tries to entice with entertaining topic titles.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaucho100K:
Write UA an email about this, they should send you at least some drink coupons...</font>

Alas, not even that...

I called United Customer Relations about this matter and essentially they said that they will "take care of this matter."

I also asked them for a letter stating that 1P members are entitled to access specifically at PVG just in case I need to show it again to anyone there.

As for compensation, this rated a "sorry it happened, but no compensation."

Incidentally, I did enter the lounge when I presented myself there (but did not have the requisite Lounge Entry Coupon) and I certainly did not tell them of the discussions at the check in desk.

[This message has been edited by Globehopper (edited 11-30-2001).]
Old Mar 22, 2002, 11:11 am

RCC in Shanghai?

I know that there is no Red Carpet Club at Shanghai, but was wondering if there is a lounge for UA passengers, ala the SATS lounge at Singapore-Changi? How about an SQ, LH, ANA, or other *A lounges - are any of them conveniently located to the United departure gates at SHA?

Thanks!

Craigg
Old Mar 23, 2002, 2:44 am
mjm
Original Member

Craig,

There is an ANA lounge at PVG. UA uses the Pudong International Airport in Shanghai now. It is opposite the gates used by UA (Usually Gate 18 I think). There are both First and Business lounges, but they are not radically different. You will get an invitation card upon check-in for a C or F class seat or as a Gold member. It is actually, if memory serves, a Star Alliance lounge with ANA being the primary sponsor.

Mike
Old Mar 23, 2002, 8:50 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
That is it. I found this lounge about as
exciting as the airport. You do not need to
arrive early as I found nothing to do.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Refused at Star Alliance lounge in PVG

I was flying from PVG to ICN on OZ flight. I was given a pass to the lounge #37, but thought that I would try the star alliance lounge in number 19. So I went there and found out it was operated by Club ANA. I showed my * Gold card and my boarding pass to the purser, and she flatly denied me, saying this was not a * Alliance lounge. Well, under their Club ANA sign was a huge * Alliance sign. I pointed that out to her, and she rudely replied that this was club ANA and not star alliance.

Am I right that I should be allowed in Club ANA? I have used Kris lounge in SFO while on a UA flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.