Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I bother to cancel last leg of award ticket

Old Jul 9, 2024, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

I booked award tickets for spouse/child Asia-West Coast-East Coast - found saver business. Turns out child will not need the West coast-east coast leg. Award pricing the same with or without that leg. Should I just leave it be, or split reservation and try to rebook for child Asia-West Coast only? Looks like saver business space still available.

The neat freak in me says rebook; the practical part of me says why bother - child (adult child, btw) can claim bags after customs and leave airport . . . or even use Polaris lounge and then leave airport . . .
Old Jul 9, 2024, 7:48 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
If the award price is the same, I'd change the ticket and release the transcon segment.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For karma, I'd probably change it now. Although it would be okay to just cancel the domestic segment after the long-haul has been flown.
Originally Posted by drewguy
or even use Polaris lounge and then leave airport . . .
This I would not do. Risk is low, but still not worth it to me.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 8:56 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by drewguy
I booked award tickets for spouse/child Asia-West Coast-East Coast - found saver business. Turns out child will not need the West coast-east coast leg. Award pricing the same with or without that leg. Should I just leave it be, or split reservation and try to rebook for child Asia-West Coast only? Looks like saver business space still available.

The neat freak in me says rebook; the practical part of me says why bother - child (adult child, btw) can claim bags after customs and leave airport . . . or even use Polaris lounge and then leave airport . . .
Wow, congratulations on finding two save business seats!

I would cancel but only after landing on the West Coast. No sense taking unnecessary risks. With United no good deed goes unpunished, unexpected problems can arise from seemingly anywhere when you go to change a ticket.
SPN Lifer and gaobest like this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 10:03 pm

Change the date!

Why not change the West-Coast to East-Coast segment to a random date ~3-6 months into the future, after landing from Asia? That way you "save" the value of the mileage ticket.

Of course, you can always play with the dates/times later on, as the need arises.
gaobest likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAATM
Why not change the West-Coast to East-Coast segment to a random date ~3-6 months into the future, after landing from Asia? That way you "save" the value of the mileage ticket.

Of course, you can always play with the dates/times later on, as the need arises.
Having a break appears to create two separate tickets with additional mileage for the domestic leg.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAATM

You must be thinking of a different program. UA does not allow free stopovers on awards.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
You must be thinking of a different program. UA does not allow free stopovers on awards.
It's vaguely an excursionist perk idea, but it wouldn't apply after the two TPAC segments - only in APAC between them.
JPG3392 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I wouldn't split the reservation right now. It's more of a hassle to have a child on their own reservation and if there are IRROPS it's easier if they are on the same PNR.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
For karma, I'd probably change it now. Although it would be okay to just cancel the domestic segment after the long-haul has been flown.
This I would not do. Risk is low, but still not worth it to me.
Risk is zero. Polaris passengers are allowed to use the Polaris Lounge on arrival, whether connecting or not.
uanj likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Depending on the ticket and fare rules, some itineraries, you wouldn't even have the option to cancel mid trip.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Echo the opinion to cancel after landing on the west coast. If there are irrops on the transcon, you might even be able to claim a partial refund. I suspect it will be zero as Asia-west coast and Asia-east coast are the same mileage price, but who knows, you might stumble into a bank error in your favor. This concept applies more for revenue tickets.
drewguy, SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
Risk is zero. Polaris passengers are allowed to use the Polaris Lounge on arrival, whether connecting or not.
Oh, and how do you propose to get airside following the international arrival at SFO?

The reality is, that to get airside after the US arrival, you have to use a ticket that you have no intent to fly. I won't do that to enter a lounge, especially not with UA. It is a clear abuse of the rules. Recall the thread about the GS who had his account closed for repeatedly going airside with no intent to fly.
jsloan and chavala like this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I would call in to cancel it to ensure the agent sees the availability and makes the change. If you are flying SIN-SFO-EWR and there are IRROPS or a schedule change it could be possible that UA reroutes you SIN-LAX-EWR, or even nonstop to EWR and now your kid is stuck in New York or LA
tods27 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2024, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Oh, and how do you propose to get airside following the international arrival at SFO?

The reality is, that to get airside after the US arrival, you have to use a ticket that you have no intent to fly. I won't do that to enter a lounge, especially not with UA. It is a clear abuse of the rules. Recall the thread about the GS who had his account closed for repeatedly going airside with no intent to fly.
You use your outbound BP to clear security, and then your inbound BP to access the lounge. This shouldn't break any rules as far as UA is concerned. You could even cancel the onward leg after clearing security but before entering the lounge.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.