Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Tight separate bookings for same day travel

Old Jun 22, 2024, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa

I am currently booked MCO-IAH-MCI ( with my wife ) arriving into MCI around noon. I just found out I need to be in SEA that evening. There is a 5pm MCI - DEN - SEA that I can book for that evening.
I would like to keep the original flight with my wife and be able to change out clothes at home then head back out to SEA that evening.
If there are no delays, I think I should be able to pull this off. BUT if there are IRROPs then probably not.

Is there a way to link the two bookings so that if I have to miss the stop at MCI, I can still make it to SEA?
Old Jun 22, 2024, 10:09 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by travelinterpreters
I am currently booked MCO-IAH-MCI ( with my wife ) arriving into MCI around noon. I just found out I need to be in SEA that evening. There is a 5pm MCI - DEN - SEA that I can book for that evening.
I would like to keep the original flight with my wife and be able to change out clothes at home then head back out to SEA that evening.
If there are no delays, I think I should be able to pull this off. BUT if there are IRROPs then probably not.

Is there a way to link the two bookings so that if I have to miss the stop at MCI, I can still make it to SEA?
Not that same route but about 8 years ago (somewhat hazy on the date) I had a similar situation and when the IRROPS happened with the first booking they rebooked me to avoid the mussed connection.

It is not possible to link different reservations in the system. An agent can tell you they will make a note but it means nothing.
travelinterpreters likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. That said, as long as all flights are UA-operated, they do have the ability to get you to you to SEA without going through MCI. It takes an agent willing to go the extra mile, but its possible.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
No. That said, as long as all flights are UA-operated, they do have the ability to get you to you to SEA without going through MCI. It takes an agent willing to go the extra mile, but its possible.
If OP interlines a bag between the two itineraries (could even be a bag containing nothing important) requiring some extra processing time at the MCO checkin counter, that stitches together the two itineraries, OP doesnt have to touch it in MCI, and the bag would be protected and show up in SEA in case of IRROPS. Would that confer in any way on the OP as in the pax?
Old Jun 22, 2024, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It would probably help if you had UA status.

I might also look at AS nonstop from MCI to SEA. Your most likely issue here is a summertime DEN connection.
travelinterpreters and jsloan like this.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Would that confer in any way on the OP as in the pax?
Not if its done properly, although I have seen at least one report where it was not done properly and therefore did result in the computer offering IRROPS protection that wouldnt otherwise have been granted.

The problem would be, even if the computer offered rerouting, I suspect it would fail when it actually attempted to finalize the rebooking and check the passenger in. The bag tag process involves creating a reservation through to the destination but does not involve moving the ticket over into that reservation. So, when the computer went to complete the booking, it would only find the ticket through to MCI, and I suspect that it would then flag an error. If it didnt, an unscrupulous passenger could cancel MCI-SEA after rebooking MCO-SEA and thus fly all the way to SEA for the MCO-MCI price. And while that might not sound like a big deal, imagine if OP were continuing on to SIN.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
It would probably help if you had UA status.

I might also look at AS nonstop from MCI to SEA. Your most likely issue here is a summertime DEN connection.
UA Gold currently.

I was concerned about the connections in both IAH and DEN during the summer.
jsloan and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Triple connecting? Do you want to be in SEA, or do you want to go on an adventure? I'd change your ticket to a single connection MCO-SEA, or cancel the remainder and book one of the OAL nonstops.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
OP mentioned repacking at home between trips. Ive done exactly this and was home for a total of 30 minutes.
jsloan, Aussienarelle, st3 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
OP mentioned repacking at home between trips. Ive done exactly this and was home for a total of 30 minutes.
Conversely, I tried this last weekend, leaving a packed bag in the car at the airport, and ended up having to (a) cancel my flights; (b) book a walk-up fare to my destination; and (c) buy clothes. The primary difference was that I was flying two different carriers (neither of them UA), whereas if Id booked the same carrier the whole way through, I might have had a chance to avoid (a0 and (b). (c) was preordained.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 1:27 pm

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
My experience a few years ago. I had AAA-BBB-CCC (home) in late afternoon and CCC-DDD-EEE next morning (two separate reservations). AAA-BBB was delayed causing misconnect.

A friendly agent at AAA rebooked me to AAA-BBB-EEE the next morning and provided overnight hotel and meal vouchers. I think she merged the two reservations into the first one? (Not 100% sure) I didnt bother about refund etc. fyi
Old Jun 22, 2024, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I had the opposite experience, with irrops causing issues trying to make it to my next UA itinerary. And was offered NO assistance with getting me back on track. Tried several different agents.
It was the start of me being very salty about United's "as a 1k, we have your back" promise.

Very much in YMMV area.
Old Jun 22, 2024, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, cattle-class with many others
No doubt many FTers (myself included) have had similar situations. What I have done and what I suggest here is 1) pack a bag for SEA and leave it in your car at MCI. Best case you can take it home before heading to SEA but you end up mitigating risk of a not-bad delay into MCI for effectively no cost, and. 2) anything you absolutely positively need in SEA you should take to MCO in case you dont make it back to MCI first.

Of course this recommendation assumes youre leaving a car at MCI. I admit this strategy makes a bit more sense if you live in a hub city (IAH was once my home airport, as was DFW in my earlier pre-CO/UA career).
Old Jun 22, 2024, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by COSPILOT

You got it! I'm going from working in the Caribbean to working in Alaska .

I can pack my coat and hiking boots in the Caribbean bag just in case!

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Old Jun 22, 2024, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
You got it! I'm going from working in the Caribbean to working in Alaska .

I can pack my coat and hiking boots in the Caribbean bag just in case!

Thanks to everyone for the help!
I screwed up and booked a trip to Italy, with a return that required me to also head straight to Vegas for a convention. I had no choice but take everything I needed for Vegas to Italy with me. That sucked big time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.