Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kate Linder on Her Double Life as a Flight Attendant for United Airlines

Old Jun 10, 2024, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

A bit of a 'feel good' story about United given the less than positive tone on many of the forum posts. I think it's fascinating that she has been able to work both careers for so long and can switch "roles" from a successful actress on Emmy winning shows, to a flight attendant.

https://people.com/kate-linder-on-be...endant-8661093
Thinking back on the early days, she shares, "When I first started, I became a flight attendant because I needed a job that would give me enough time off so I could pursue my career. And then I was hired. I was only hired for one day, so I kept going. And then I thought, 'Well, if I can keep doing them both, well then I'll do them both.'"

Now, she credits her double life for keeping her humble.

"You can't forget who you are that way. I'm telling you, one day I get to be on set, I get to speak with you here at the Emmys, [and] then I'm serving coffee at 35,000 feet. I mean, you can't forget, she says
Old Jun 10, 2024, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I’ve been a friend of Kate’s for many years (my dad wrote for Y & R) and I would see her on quite a few UA flights through the years. I was always amazed how she was able to balance two careers and a successful marriage while helping so many through her charitable activities throughout Southern California. She is, indeed, deserving of our great respect.

Last edited by jchiguy1; Jun 10, 2024 at 5:59 pm Reason: Punctuation.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Have flown with her many times over the years -- truly one of the good ones!
bocastephen, SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Never heard of her - even after looking her up on Google I can honestly say I still don't know who she is other than a random soap actress.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
According to the People article in the original post (OP), Linder is 76 years old.

She has starred in a TV show on CBS called The Young and the Restless (Y&R) since 1982. Her Wikipedia article says she started working as a flight attendant for Transamerica Airlines, and that she was with UA as of 2022, with no employment commencement year mentioned.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jun 10, 2024 at 7:56 pm
Old Jun 10, 2024, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Shortly after the merger, I met her at an event at Y&R’s parent company. She was with her manager. I think her manager was in utter shock that all I wanted to talk to her about was the UA-CO merger, and especially Jeff Smisek. And, she seemed very impressed with my knowledge of UA. I actually saw her on a flight a few weeks later. She was deadheading from ORD-LAX to work an ORD-YYZ flight, and remembered me. It was the only time I ever saw her on UA.
SPN Lifer, findark, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by SS255
Shortly after the merger, I met her at an event at Y&Rs parent company. She was with her manager. I think her manager was in utter shock that all I wanted to talk to her about was the UA-CO merger, and especially Jeff Smisek. And, she seemed very impressed with my knowledge of UA. I actually saw her on a flight a few weeks later. She was deadheading from ORD-LAX to work an ORD-YYZ flight, and remembered me. It was the only time I ever saw her on UA.
Earlier in my career I spent a lot of time flying in and out of LAX -- I would say 30 times per year -- I would fly with her at the oddest times -- like on a mid-con red eye -- but she was always a pro -- What every UA FA should be....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.