Hotel voucher at EWR

Old May 25, 2024, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Hotel voucher at EWR

Does anyone know what options United provides for a hotel when your flight is disrupted at EWR? Am I better off paying out of pocket and invoicing them?
Old May 25, 2024, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For hotel vouchers, Doubletree was best option they offered by voucher, last time I had such. I am pretty sure next best option was Best Western.

I generally book my own accommodation when forced overnighting now.
FlyingFreeYupie likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Do you book on your own for hotel perks and status? How long do they take to reimburse you?

Usually up to what amount do you get reimbursed?
Old May 25, 2024, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFreeYupie
Do you book on your own for hotel perks and status? How long do they take to reimburse you?

Usually up to what amount do you get reimbursed?
I think you're trying for EC261 reimbursement from post in other thread. I don't have experience getting a hotel worked in with that.

In other circumstances, if you don't have GS status, I don't believe UA will reimburse (even then, they're getting spottier). They may instead issue ETC voucher, but it won't be linked to the hotel rate. Otherwise the only fallback is any travel insurance through credit card or other sources.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 5:48 am

They still provide hotels for international J passengers when flights are disrupted, even due to weather. Aren't they also supposed to provide hotels to *G passengers on intercontinental flights?

The last time I asked for a hotel voucher (March 2024), the agent told me that all of the options that United was offering were awful, and I should just pick someplace reasonable and submit a claim afterwards. It took United less than 24 hours to respond to my claim, and I received a check in the mail within 2 weeks.
Old May 26, 2024, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Considering that hotel room at EWR are $250-$300/night, does that sound like a reasonable reimbursable expense?
Old May 26, 2024, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Considering that hotel room at EWR are $250-$300/night, does that sound like a reasonable reimbursable expense?
Econo Lodge/now Motel 6 on Spring Street, Elizabeth was/is a lot less than that.

However, I do not recommend!
Old May 26, 2024, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ive been told that they have a flat limit of $200.

UA has negotiated rates with many airport hotels that are at massive discounts to the publicly-available rates, so they really discourage the book-it-and-well-reimburse-you approach.
VRFast, PTahCha and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 9:44 am
Original Poster

I'm on my way to EWR. Will report back on the hotel selection they offer.
Old May 26, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
I’ve been told that they have a flat limit of $200.

UA has negotiated rates with many airport hotels that are at massive discounts to the publicly-available rates, so they really discourage the book-it-and-we’ll-reimburse-you approach.
Yep, they do have quite steep discounts. From my experiences, the rates UA paid range about $50-$90, while the rack rate to book was more like $125-$200.

I'm on my way to EWR. Will report back on the hotel selection they offer.
Good luck!
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
not sure what hotels you are booking, but reasonable options like the Hilton, the Ren, the CP etc. all set for a lot less than that. I would not expect UA to easily pay that much
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 7:59 am
Original Poster

3 hotels were offered:

Tryp Downtown Newark
Holiday inn Newark Airport
Doubletree Newark Airport

They also added 2x $15 food vouchers.

I'm very impressed with the way they handled it all. No need to go to a desk, I did it all once my plane landed at EWR via the app.

United still owes me 600 for the delay, let's see how they handle that one.
cfischer likes this.

Last edited by FlyingFreeYupie; May 27, 2024 at 8:17 am
Old May 27, 2024, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 hotels were offered:

Tryp Downtown Newark
Holiday inn Newark Airport
Doubletree Newark Airport

They are added 2x $15 food vouchers.

I'm very impressed with the way they handled it all. No need to go to a desk, I did it all once my plane landed at EWR via the app.

United still owes me 600 for the delay, let's see how they handle that one.
Glad it worked smoothly for you.

Looks like they've shifted the bottom end of their hotel offerings upward too.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.