Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help: Customer Care said they would issue TCVs, but never did

Old May 25, 2024, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Due to a canceled flight and a series of screw-ups by United last year, their Customer Care agent communicated to me by e-mail that they would issue a $200 ETC to each of my party of 5. I explicitly asked them to confirm that the TCV would be issued to each member of my party and they explicitly confirmed by e-mail.

I looked in my account at the time and saw the ETC appear. Unfortunately I did not look in the accounts of the other members of my party.

Now I am trying to use the ETCs on an itinerary for the same party and I have discovered that an ETC was issued only to me, not to any other member of my party.

I replied to the same e-mail thread asking them to issue the ETCs. 2 days go by, no response. So I replied again. It's been a day and no response.

How do I get them to issue the ETCs and what can I do if they don't?

In case it is relevant, both the law of the US and Canads should apply as the ticket originated in Canada and we are Canadian residents.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Marty McFly; May 25, 2024 at 5:57 pm
Old May 25, 2024, 6:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Marty McFly
I replied to the same e-mail thread asking them to issue the ETCs. 2 days go by, no response. So I replied again. It's been a day and no response.
Have you tried calling / chat and communicating with a live person. Getting the same email agent after a period of time could be problematic.

Originally Posted by Marty McFly
In case it is relevant, both the law of the US and Canads should apply as the ticket originated in Canada and we are Canadian residents. ...
There is a separate process flow for those under refunds. Regular agents can not handle this.
Old May 25, 2024, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Have you tried calling / chat and communicating with a live person. Getting the same email agent after a period of time could be problematic.

There is a separate process flow for those under refunds. Regular agents can not handle this.
What number should I call? I got reservations and they said there's no number that I can call to get help with this.

They also suggested I use the web form to start a new claim, quote the former claim number and upload a copy of the e-mail where the agent confirmed the ETCs. Could that work?

I don't mind if I get the same agent, but they were using a generic e-mail so silly me I thought another agent would receive it, see what happened and resolve the issue.

The refund was processed correctly. It's only the ETC that was not issued.

Last edited by Marty McFly; May 25, 2024 at 8:41 pm
Old Jun 13, 2024, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Appreciate your assistance. I took the phone agent's advice and started a new e-mail case number, citing the old one. Though it took several days, the TCVs were issued to the other members of my party without incident, and I have already used them.

Thanks again!
SPN Lifer, ani90 and jtwiz like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.