Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR gate agents blame “unruly” passengers to solve oversale

EWR gate agents blame “unruly” passengers to solve oversale

Old May 28, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by PaulaJK
We had a similar episode on UA Polaris. We boarded. j was full. Then they announced that they needed 3 J
sears for deadheading crew. No volunteers as remuneration climbed…didn’t get ‘volunteers’ until they
anniunced that we would not fly until crew had seats. Lovely exoerience.
This happened, as well, on the April 26 IAH-FRA flight. Mechanical, aircraft swap, resulting in J being oversold by three or four. Instead of moving the needle on compensation, which I believe was eventually increased to $3k, the gate agents would not board Polaris until sufficient volunteers materialized to be downgraded. It was also insinuated that us greedy, intractable J passengers were responsible for further delaying an already materially delayed flight. (I, along with half of the other passengers, had to run to my connecting flight in FRA.) I believe they ultimately ended up downgrading pax who had been upgraded.

As a GS traveling on a refundable J ticket, I found United's attempt to foist a problem of its own making - mechanicals, delays - onto its highest revenue customers just ridiculous. What were we supposed to do? Somehow identify, then bully other J passengers into taking the (clearly insufficient) compensation so we could board and have a prayer of making our connections? Not sure who came up with this genius ploy, but unfortunate to hear it has been taken up by other GAs. I was so annoyed by it, I looked into rebooking my return on Lufthansa, but it would have required overnighting. United won by default.
Old May 28, 2024, 12:39 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by DMWT
This happened, as well, on the April 26 IAH-FRA flight. Mechanical, aircraft swap, resulting in J being oversold by three or four. Instead of moving the needle on compensation, which I believe was eventually increased to $3k, the gate agents would not board Polaris until sufficient volunteers materialized to be downgraded. It was also insinuated that us greedy, intractable J passengers were responsible for further delaying an already materially delayed flight. (I, along with half of the other passengers, had to run to my connecting flight in FRA.) I believe they ultimately ended up downgrading pax who had been upgraded.

As a GS traveling on a refundable J ticket, I found United's attempt to foist a problem of its own making - mechanicals, delays - onto its highest revenue customers just ridiculous. What were we supposed to do? Somehow identify, then bully other J passengers into taking the (clearly insufficient) compensation so we could board and have a prayer of making our connections? Not sure who came up with this genius ploy, but unfortunate to hear it has been taken up by other GAs. I was so annoyed by it, I looked into rebooking my return on Lufthansa, but it would have required overnighting. United won by default.
IF there were any FT on board, there would have been a Hunger Games incident going after the 3k comp.....
bmwe92fan and hhdl like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I think that's a post-Dao procedure. If you know you're oversold, don't board the cabin until you have resolved the oversale so, if you have to IDB, the IDB'd passenger isn't already boarded and seated.
Originally Posted by PaulaJK
We had a similar episode on UA Polaris. We boarded. j was full. Then they announced that they needed 3 J
sears for deadheading crew. No volunteers as remuneration climbed…didn’t get ‘volunteers’ until they
anniunced that we would not fly until crew had seats. Lovely exoerience.
Which makes this example particularly spicy. They could have cancelled the flight, sure, but that would have cost a fortune to rectify - I wonder who would have to sign off on that and if it would ever happen.
Old May 28, 2024, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DMWT
As a GS traveling on a refundable J ticket, I found United's attempt to foist a problem of its own making - mechanicals, delays - onto its highest revenue customers just ridiculous
What were they supposed to do, exactly? There weren't enough seats for everyone, and prior experience has shown that they cannot risk letting anyone onto the plane lest someone decide not to deplane when required. Sure, they could have just said, "OK, time to IDB / do involuntary downgrades," but then that ends up as a thread here.
ExplorerWannabe and hhdl like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
What were they supposed to do, exactly? There weren't enough seats for everyone, and prior experience has shown that they cannot risk letting anyone onto the plane lest someone decide not to deplane when required. Sure, they could have just said, "OK, time to IDB / do involuntary downgrades," but then that ends up as a thread here.
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of numbers higher than $3k, so perhaps increase the comp until they get an actual volunteer, rather than holding at $3k and trying to use coercion (mentioned earlier in that post) to get a "volunteer". It's not really volunteering at that point.

I was on a LAX-EWR flight a few years ago that was over due to some other cancellations, and they worked their way up from $2k to finally $6k to finally get someone to take the bump willingly. (Sadly, no, that person wasn't me.)
Old May 28, 2024, 1:30 pm

Pay more. 3k for a J seat on a huge public holiday Friday is a joke.
Manoa Chris and boat stuck like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of numbers higher than $3k, so perhaps increase the comp until they get an actual volunteer, rather than holding at $3k and trying to use coercion (mentioned earlier in that post) to get a "volunteer". It's not really volunteering at that point.
Sure, and train people that they can just sit there and wait until UA is giving them a personal 787 just to take a different flight? The statutory IDB compensation, agreed to all of us as a condition of purchasing tickets, is much lower than $3K.

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
It's there problem, and the answer is actually easy. Everyone has a price, even I have mine...LOL.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see why this is so complicated. Airlines have been resolving oversold situations for probably as long as they have been selling tickets. You make a lucrative offer to obtain VDB takers, without trying to guilt anyone into taking the offer. If that doesn't work, then you use whatever formula you've decided on in advance to select the unlucky passengers, and start the IDB process - hopefully before you've boarded the J seats.
Old May 28, 2024, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JSarj
Pay more. 3k for a J seat on a huge public holiday Friday is a joke.
How much wouldn't be a joke?

I am stunned by how much people on this board appear to value their time... and yet they fly UA.
SPN Lifer, ani90, st3 and 4 others like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Sure, and train people that they can just sit there and wait until UA is giving them a personal 787 just to take a different flight? The statutory IDB compensation, agreed to all of us as a condition of purchasing tickets, is much lower than $3K.
IDB is real money, not future credit only good on United and subject to fare availability might just be an invitation to pay the difference.

If the GAs had been offering $3k in cash they might have gotten volunteers.
Old May 28, 2024, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
IDB is real money, not future credit only good on United and subject to fare availability might just be an invitation to pay the difference.
UA vouchers can be used for any flight on UA.com, have no restrictions on fare availability, and can be used by any person, not just the named traveler. They may not be as good as cash but they're certainly worth more than about 35 cents on the dollar -- IDB comp maxes out at $1200.
Old May 28, 2024, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
IF there were any FT on board, there would have been a Hunger Games incident going after the 3k comp.....
I think the FT’er Hunger Games would have been the counter-offers to the GA’s for higher comp.
wrp96, LaserSailor and hhdl like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
How much wouldn't be a joke?

I am stunned by how much people on this board appear to value their time... and yet they fly UA.
I was on a PM flight from LAX to SFO and was blown away that they were actually offering $500 and no one was jumping. They even said they would get you out on the next available flight which as I remember there were at least 2 more flights out that night and I knew the last one was wide open. I bit and took the $500 voucher and went back to the UC for hour. In this case that was my price, pretty easy one though.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If no one was biting at $3k without the GA bullying, then how would anyone be getting "trained" to do something different by seeing a higher offer? They're already waiting for a higher offer.
goodeats21 and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.