Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR gate agents blame “unruly” passengers to solve oversale

EWR gate agents blame “unruly” passengers to solve oversale

Old May 27, 2024, 4:50 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
[b]Honestly -- this was NOT the perspective I expected - but I get it -- it's just a job to you./b]
[

Don't get me wrong, I love my job, and take it very seriously. I'm just amazed that so many of you spend so much time on a UA flight and then spend an equal amount of time simply talking about it. I don't disrespectfully mean that, but it is fascinating to me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 30, 2024 at 9:21 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old May 27, 2024, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by 757FO
Don't get me wrong, I love my job, and take it very seriously. I'm just amazed that so many of you spend so much time on a UA flight and then spend an equal amount of time simply talking about it. I don't disrespectfully mean that, but it is fascinating to me.
So many of us travel for a living -- and travel is a huge part of our lives. It's true that FT probably represents less than 1% of the pax you fly point to point -- but this community has taught me so much, and yes from time to time been a valuable outlet for an occasional rant / vent when things so sideways (I'm looking at you ZRH). I've travelled for 30+ years professionally every week -- and longer personally -- for many of us it's enjoyable -- except when it's not -- and that's when knowing what to do -- or not to do matters.

This is FT to me -- I've learned more than I'll ever be able to give back!
dinoscool3, wrp96 and 757FO like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
And boarding economy before Polaris similarly has all the hallmarks of out of control GAs.
huh?

I’ve seen this done a handful of times before where it makes sense. Ie, catering still loading by the J galley on a delayed flight, making boarding there impossible, but speeding up the overall process. No, not the usual priority. But in some situations, it can make sense - saves an extra 20 minutes (for example) delay).

whether it did in this case, I don’t know. But I could see how it might be reasonable to think it would speed up everything.
fastair and wrp96 like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 5:54 pm

So many of us travel for a living -- and travel is a huge part of our lives. It's true that FT probably represents less than 1% of the pax you fly point to point -- but this community has taught me so much, and yes from time to time been a valuable outlet for an occasional rant / vent when things so sideways (I'm looking at you ZRH). I've travelled for 30+ years professionally every week -- and longer personally -- for many of us it's enjoyable -- except when it's not -- and that's when knowing what to do -- or not to do matters.

This is FT to me -- I've learned more than I'll ever be able to give back!
He has given back. I will now fly to GVA and take the train to Zurich.
goodeats21, narvik, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 6:35 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
I was the captain. I created my account when I was still an FO, 7 years ago.

And no punchline, just sharing my piece of the story. I am sorry you had a negative experience. When do you fly home?

and that is the end of this fantasy, for any adults still remaining.

thanks for putting this to bed.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 9:23 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
This [Not boarding the oversold cabin] is the one thing that gives me pause
I think that's a post-Dao procedure. If you know you're oversold, don't board the cabin until you have resolved the oversale so, if you have to IDB, the IDB'd passenger isn't already boarded and seated.
SFO 1K, SPN Lifer, fastair and 7 others like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 9:36 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
And boarding economy before Polaris similarly has all the hallmarks of out of control GAs.
Or the hallmarks of intelligently minimizing a delay. There was no need to delay the boarding of the cabin that was not impacted. Boarding the cabin with too many people would be foolish. Seems like by doing the majority of the boarding during the "down time", the agents saved 30 min for all of the passengers
Old May 27, 2024, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, BA Gold Guest List, AA MM, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by fumje
Was the captain hanging out in the boarding area when the offloading occurred?

The captain provided a character testimonial. That's worth something, but it's not a conclusive report.

I also appreciate the participation from UA employees here — and I find it valuable, so as an aside, thank you to all pilots, gate agents, flight attendants who contribute — but there are a lot of aspects of the customer travel experience that employees simply don't experience and thus don't know about.
exactly. I appreciate the captain coming on and giving his perspective. It’s valuable but not dispositive here. But the captain is not claiming to know the details of the oversale or how it was resolved. Nor was he at the gate at the relevant time.

Wow, has this thread reached five pages?

It's just an airline, folks.... A simple conveyance from Point A to Point B. Hearing so many of you discuss every nuance of every aspect of United Airlines is mind-blowing. I show up, fly the plane, go home, and don't think twice about UA until my next trip. Some of you should try it!
when our lives revolve around travel, it’s a necessity. When united acts badly - it has the potential to affect us (Ok fine, as a GS I will never be IDBed by policy but what if I express my frustration?). And even if not in line for IDB, I’ve personally - as stated previously and not including this story - had two over sales in 10 flights this year that resulted in meaningful delays due to poor handling by United. In one of those cases, many people misconnected in Houston as a result. So it’s fundamentally relevant to the functioning of our lives. It’s not a hobby.

Equally, I think it’s fine for you to focus on flying the plane safely. That’s most important. But I’m a bit surprised that you think people should just ignore these issues.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2024 at 3:53 pm
Old May 27, 2024, 11:46 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by PlungeTEX
when our lives revolve around travel, it’s a necessity. When united acts badly - it has the potential to affect us (Ok fine, as a GS I will never be IDBed by policy but what if I express my frustration?). And even if not in line for IDB, I’ve personally - as stated previously and not including this story - had two over sales in 10 flights this year that resulted in meaningful delays due to poor handling by United. In one of those cases, many people misconnected in Houston as a result. So it’s fundamentally relevant to the functioning of our lives. It’s not a hobby.

Equally, I think it’s fine for you to focus on flying the plane safely. That’s most important. But I’m a bit surprised that you think people should just ignore these issues.
The Captain never said anyone should just ignore these issues. I hope the 2nd hand story was not embellished in such a fashion. Nor do you have any proof yet United acted badly (though it is 'possible').

As for being disruptive, one does not have to be loud to be rude, offensive, use off-colour comments, or be harassing so it is possible the original story-teller did not hear or see all interactions.

It is certainly possible there were shenanigans but some here are trying to force a square peg into a round hole to fit their narrative as if it is fact based on past experiences or events from last decade.

A United employee who was actually present fir part of the alleged shenanigans has proved more info. And that is likely all we are going to get unless a CSR wants to dig and risk violating policy by posting more here.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2024 at 4:00 pm Reason: removed innappriorate comments
Old May 28, 2024, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
The Captain never said anyone should just ignore these issues. I hope the 2nd hand story was not embellished in such a fashion. Nor do you have any proof yet United acted badly (though it is 'possible'). We just have what some might call the ravings of a senior person that some could cynically say might not hear so well or have vascular dementia or insert any other ailment. Now whether the original story-teller has those...who knows...but it is just as speculative as much of the postings here and just as useless in finding true facts.

As for being disruptive, one does not have to be loud to be rude, offensive, use off-colour comments, or be harassing so it is possible the original story-teller did not hear or see all interactions.

It is certainly possible there were shenanigans but some here are trying to force a square peg into a round hole to fit their narrative as if it is fact based on past experiences or events from last decade.

A United employee who was actually present fir part of the alleged shenanigans has proved more info. And that is likely all we are going to get unless a CSR wants to dig and risk violating policy by posting more here.
The captain has not provided more info as they were not there during the relevant period. Nor has the captain claimed to be or claimed to know how the issue was resolved.

And regardless of the unruly question, I have a hard time believing anyone would defend the fact that United didn’t deal with the oversale (whether by IDB or VDB) earlier in a 3+ hour mechanical delay so as to avoid the further delay. And I think most would argue they should have continued to increase VDB comp rather than IDBing but understand there are different opinions on where the limit should be.
JNelson113, malgudi and weero like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2024 at 4:00 pm Reason: removed response to deleted comments
Old May 28, 2024, 6:17 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I think that's a post-Dao procedure. If you know you're oversold, don't board the cabin until you have resolved the oversale so, if you have to IDB, the IDB'd passenger isn't already boarded and seated.
That makes a lot of sense - I wonder if the didn't board the PE cabin as well in case of downgrades...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 28, 2024, 6:43 am

Dena vue

Originally Posted by st530
Sorry if I’m being naive, but I thought UA did not oversell J?
We had a similar episode on UA Polaris. We boarded. j was full. Then they announced that they needed 3 J
sears for deadheading crew. No volunteers as remuneration climbed…didn’t get ‘volunteers’ until they
anniunced that we would not fly until crew had seats. Lovely exoerience.
SPN Lifer, bmwe92fan, mdbe and 2 others like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulaJK
We had a similar episode on UA Polaris. We boarded. j was full. Then they announced that they needed 3 J
sears for deadheading crew. No volunteers as remuneration climbed…didn’t get ‘volunteers’ until they
anniunced that we would not fly until crew had seats. Lovely exoerience.
another example of the stand off approach….

how was it ultimately resolved?
Old May 28, 2024, 8:06 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..I'm looking at you ZRH..
Please tell!
..spend an equal amount of time simply talking about it. I don't disrespectfully mean that, but it is fascinating to me.
Therapy.
If you're the victim of a traumatic experience, you have to re-live it.
SPN Lifer, uanj and 757FO like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 11:25 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
What would be basis for a lawsuit? Presumably, they have to deny one person or the other boarding or does it have to follow a particular basis?
Well I will say up front I am not an attorney and I am NOT a litigious person but if I understand the situation (and I may not) they either falsely accused or intimated "unruly" passengers and "off loaded" them to solve an over sale situation. No idea of the value of this type of claim but it seems that a carefully crafted letter from an attorney would do them well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.