Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR gate agents blame “unruly” passengers to solve oversale

EWR gate agents blame “unruly” passengers to solve oversale

Old May 26, 2024, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by ani90
Maybe on this basis we don't need to discuss this anymore?
Couldn't agree more! But then again -- this is FT... I'm sure this will morph into something we can't even fathom yet....
uanj and wrp96 like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Couldn't agree more! But then again -- this is FT... I'm sure this will morph into something we can't even fathom yet....
Just wait until one of the frequent flyer blogs picks up this big non-story…
Old May 26, 2024, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sannmann
Just wait until one of the frequent flyer blogs picks up this big non-story…
that’s for sure.

757FO—questions (which you may or may not be able to answer).

Was J oversold by three?

How were the three selected? Were they ultimately IDB or VDB?
Old May 26, 2024, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 757FO
...possibly someone made a comment in jest.
Unfortunately, sometimes people misinterpret a jest and it becomes a thing. And is propagated...
Old May 26, 2024, 5:40 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
that’s for sure.

757FO—questions (which you may or may not be able to answer).

Was J oversold by three?

How were the three selected? Were they ultimately IDB or VDB?
I'm not sure. To be candid, I don't always make note of those things.
nnn, uanj, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Fair enough. FWIW, I trust your judgment and think the OP's mother probably heard something wrong. I'm still curious what happened, though.
wrp96 and jcturnbull like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
UA could've tried to resolve the oversale at 7pm, or perhaps even earlier, and maybe they would've had takers for the $2-3k with a reroute that would still get the DBV the same day.

$3k is a pretty weak offering IMO for a J oversale on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend on EWR-DBV. I am going to make a few assumptions and say the J cabin is filled with well-to-do vacationers who don't have all the time in the world. They are not going to burn 1 day of a week-long vacation at a nice hotel for $3k and whatever motel UA puts them up for the night, after they have already been at EWR for hours. Many tickets sold probably cost more than $3k.
Old May 26, 2024, 9:26 pm

Programs: none
Reading this thread is twenty minutes of my life I'll never have back again. Anyone else remember (on this exact forum as a matter of fact) that UA would spend up to $10K to avoid an IDB? Apparently, that's not true. Heaven Forbid!

I'm throwing the BS Flag on this one.
LaserSailor likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, BA Gold Guest List, AA MM, Delta Silver
which is totally fine. I have high confidence in you and all other United flight crew on getting me to my destination safely.

But if I understand this correctly, your basis for disagreeing with my post is that you know the gate agents and they wouldn’t do this, and you were at the gate and they were doing the best they could? But you didn’t have full details on the problem or the solution?

Respectfully, while that’s a helpful vantage point - it’s weaker from an evidence point of view from the account of someone who was there. And the fact that three passengers were removed for being unruly and multiple J pax who were there believed that was unfair isn’t really a matter of mishearing something. Where mishearing or misunderstanding comes into play is only with respect to how they got there.

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
UA could've tried to resolve the oversale at 7pm, or perhaps even earlier, and maybe they would've had takers for the $2-3k with a reroute that would still get the DBV the same day.

$3k is a pretty weak offering IMO for a J oversale on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend on EWR-DBV. I am going to make a few assumptions and say the J cabin is filled with well-to-do vacationers who don't have all the time in the world. They are not going to burn 1 day of a week-long vacation at a nice hotel for $3k and whatever motel UA puts them up for the night, after they have already been at EWR for hours. Many tickets sold probably cost more than $3k.
Exactly. I’ve been trying to make this point but the discussion over the GA behavior seems to be the only focus. Even if they were ultimately IDBed correctly, the situation was mishandled. And the 10k PR in 2017 has gone by the wayside. And it’s not the first mishandled oversale I’m aware of this year having dealt with two - one of which similarly resulted in a stand off with the GAs causing a delay because the VDB offer wasn’t high enough and UA wouldn’t increase it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 28, 2024 at 3:33 pm
Old May 27, 2024, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ani90
What would be basis for a lawsuit? Presumably, they have to deny one person or the other boarding or does it have to follow a particular basis?
they claimed unruly which then bypasses the involuntary requirements/cost. They should at bare minimum have been compensated instead they were schemed out of money owed.
Old May 27, 2024, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by lrdpenn

this. I’ve had $10k cash (not credit) offers before. It’s n business travel if I can adjust meetings I’ve taken it. But on holiday travel- even $10k won’t get me to budge on my free time with family. $3k? I wouldn’t be delayed voluntarily 5 hours for that.
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jp12687
this. I’ve had $10k cash (not credit) offers before. It’s n business travel if I can adjust meetings I’ve taken it. But on holiday travel- even $10k won’t get me to budge on my free time with family. $3k? I wouldn’t be delayed voluntarily 5 hours for that.
So, you wouldn’t take an additional free vacation for a five hour delay? I suspect you’re in the minority; in fact, I suspect that most people would be the exact opposite. I could not possibly justify moving a meeting to accommodate a VDB.
Old May 27, 2024, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, BA Gold Guest List, AA MM, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan
So, you wouldn’t take an additional free vacation for a five hour delay? I suspect you’re in the minority; in fact, I suspect that most people would be the exact opposite. I could not possibly justify moving a meeting to accommodate a VDB.
I agree that jp12687 is in the minority. But remember that this was not an offer for Y passengers. But J passengers, most of whom had presumably had a hefty sum (this flight was nearly sold out more than a month in advance when my mother purchased her ticket for nearly $6K) or a boat load of miles. All of whom were bound for an “in” European vacation destination. The demographics of the cabin scream cash-rich, time-poor vacationers where time is indeed more valuable than money. That said, my guess is somewhere between $3500 and $10K, they could have picked off 3 people. But the fact they couldn’t on that route on that day for $3500 is not surprising.
Old May 27, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by PlungeTEX
IDB has to be cash by law but VDB is usually ETC on pretty much any airline in the world as far as I know.
DL VDB is usually choice of Amex/Visa gift cards.
mbluecpa and LaserSailor like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by PlungeTEX
... The demographics of the cabin scream cash-rich, time-poor vacationers where time is indeed more valuable than money.....
Paying the premium for a nonstop from EWR to DBV also screams this, as DBV is a destination and not generally thought of as a good place to connect into the heart of Europe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.