Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR gate agents blame “unruly” passengers to solve oversale

EWR gate agents blame “unruly” passengers to solve oversale

Old May 25, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I wouldn't put it past them to pocket the cash themselves.
What cash?
Old May 25, 2024, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
EWR agents lying? Who could have imagined it?
EWR pax unruly? Who could have imagined it?

I'm not saying I believe or don't believe either side here, but misadventures at EWR happen too often.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:24 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
In 18 posts we take a third party account of a boarding incident to employee grand larceny.

Seriously,
Bear96, uanj, lincolnjkc and 5 others like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
In 18 posts we take a third party account of a boarding incident to employee grand larceny.

Seriously,
And you are surprised that it took so long????

Honestly -- as someone that flies out of EWR weekly this seems a bit of a stretch -- if you had told me that a GA got into a screaming match with a pax I'd get it -- but the actual capacity to scheme up a way to get someone to be aggressive therefore allowing for a "acceptable" off-loading -- well, that's a bit beyond EWR IMHO -- perhaps ZRH -- but not EWR.....
Old May 25, 2024, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jpezaris
Maybe the gate agents resorted to this game to absolve them of the responsibility to make a decision.
I mean, I suppose it’s theoretically possible. But let’s think a bit.

if the agents were reporting unruly behavior by pax, I suspect the agents would be subject to submitting paperwork on account of the incident, not to mention investigation by UA which would, I presume, include statements from eyewitnesses in the gate area who would be asked to report what they saw, which if this was a ‘game’ by the GAs, would show that this was indeed a ‘game’ being played by said by GAs, leading to some sort of discipline.

While I admittedly have no experience as a GA, hardly seems worth it to make this stuff up, unless the GAs were trying to be disciplined/potentially fired. They follow the process, likely even just following what the computer tells them (ie, no ‘decision’ by them necessary), with no impact to them personally, as UA would be the ones paying out the IDB comp. Not sure what GA in their right mind would rather go through a process where they lie about a situation when it’s likely to be caught down line by management.

I wouldn't put it past them to pocket the cash themselves.
maybe, but do share how that might work. GAs somehow convince the affected pax to sign the required paperwork, then just never finalize the payments to them, instead making out the payments in their own name (with a system that likely prevents this type of action in the first place)? Then somehow hope (again!) that management wouldn’t find out, and that said IDBd pax wouldn’t notice and/or complain about the $1000s of missing comp.

To put it mildly, seems quite unlikely.
Old May 25, 2024, 7:07 pm

I understand different circumstances but I would have taken the $3500 and the next day flight.
roberto99, Marschel and Matt4 like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 7:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NJSwamplands
I understand different circumstances but I would have taken the $3500 and the next day flight.
Perhaps were concerned when the next available seat was going to be on th busiest travel weekend in 4 years.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by EricH
EWR pax unruly? Who could have imagined it?

I'm not saying I believe or don't believe either side here, but misadventures at EWR happen too often.
Yep. That's EWR for you.
Old May 25, 2024, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Honestly -- as someone that flies out of EWR weekly this seems a bit of a stretch -- if you had told me that a GA got into a screaming match with a pax I'd get it -- but the actual capacity to scheme up a way to get someone to be aggressive therefore allowing for a "acceptable" off-loading -- well, that's a bit beyond EWR IMHO -- perhaps ZRH -- but not EWR.....
Still makes me laugh everytime.
Old May 25, 2024, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Perhaps were concerned when the next available seat was going to be on th busiest travel weekend in 4 years.
Maybe I am misreading the OPs original post that included "rebooking option was the next day"
Old May 25, 2024, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Sorry if I’m being naive, but I thought UA did not oversell J?
Old May 25, 2024, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by st530
Sorry if I’m being naive, but I thought UA did not oversell J?
don’t think they typically do. That said, there are situations where this can result - for example, last minute swap to an aircraft with fewer J seats than the original.
Old May 26, 2024, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, BA Gold Guest List, AA MM, Delta Silver
OP here. No aircraft swap so the reason for the over sale is indeed puzzling but that point was widely in announced on the PA multiple times so is not in dispute.

I agree - and have already added my disclaimer - re second hand reports. But what was clear was the unruly incident that resulted in offloaded was ageeed not to be unruly or anything close to it by a number of passengers.

my hunch is the following - the GAs wanted to come home. It was a 715pm departure and approaching 11pm. And by this and one other incident, it seems that UA is reluctant to IDB, wouldn’t go above certain comp (in this case 3500, in my other case which was an express flight 2500) and either GAs are deciding to or are directed to enter into a standoff with passengers where boarding is held, flight cancellation threatened etc, to entice someone to speak up. See my first hand account here:

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2022-2024]

see post 111. It is this trend I find most concerning. But two examples isn’t a pattern so would love other experiences.

contrast that to a poorly handled aircraft swap from a 46J to 30J 767 ORD to LHR in January. It happened a day out but apparently no attempt to solicit volunteers. Instead paid J pax downgraded with 500 of comp at the gate which of course caused mayhem. Another example of poor US service but clearly a distinction between over sale and downgrade.
Old May 26, 2024, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PlungeTEX
…my hunch is the following - the GAs wanted to come home. It was a 715pm departure and approaching 11pm...
Doesn’t work like that. Telling two passengers there aren’t seats, telling them to contact customer service, and close the flight is far more expedient than the documentation required post-incident to deny boarding to unruly passengers. Putting their names to an unruly passenger report leaves them exposed to dispute vs just denying boarding because UA’s overbooked the flight. A GA takes on zero risk in latter.

Pretty hard to see how making up an unruly passenger offload makes a GAs duties any easier/quicker. Count me as a doubter.

I’ve had my share of EWR GA experiences dating to CO days and I have no doubt they don’t need to make up any other excuse besides, “Sorry, the flights overbooked”. Sometimes, they don’t even say “Sorry”.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 26, 2024 at 12:39 am
Old May 26, 2024, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, BA Gold Guest List, AA MM, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Doesn’t work like that. Telling two passengers there aren’t seats, telling them to contact customer service, and close the flight is far more expedient than the documentation required post-incident to deny boarding to unruly passengers.

Pretty hard to see how making up an unruly passenger offload makes a GAs duties any easier/quicker. Count me as a doubter.
doubt if you want. But I have two examples now of GAs not doing IDBs when they should (eg they reach the limit of their compensation offer and people aren’t taking it and the flight is getting delayed). And honestly that point is the case here regardless of the merits on the unruly point. Because J boarding was held and cancellation threatened if they didn’t get a volunteer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.