Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Using travel bank & travel certificate on same itinerary

Old May 15, 2024, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold

Hey everyone. Sorry if this question has been answered before. I took a look around the forum and googled this, but the answer to my question was inconclusive.

My situation is that I have a travel certifocate that I need to use by the end of August. I also have a decent travel bank balance. Ultimately, my goal is to book a United Business/Polaris class ticket and use up both of them.

I know that you can't use both at the aame time to pay for an itinerary. But I was wondering if I could do something like book an economy ticket using my travel certificate, and then upgrade that ticket to Polaris/Business using my travel bank balance? Or vise versa? Has anyone done this and if so, could advise on what worked best for you.

Thanks for any guidance rhat can be provided.
Old May 15, 2024, 4:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dark_phoenix
... But I was wondering if I could do something like book an economy ticket using my travel certificate, and then upgrade that ticket to Polaris/Business using my travel bank balance? Or vise versa? Has anyone done this and if so, could advise on what worked best for you......
Neither ETC or TB can be used for upgrades
dark_phoenix and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Neither ETC or TB can be used for upgrades
Thanks for confirming.

It's a pity, but I will just let the ETC expire then. It wasn't that important of a trip anyway 🙃
Old May 15, 2024, 4:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With the ETC book a trip for the far future and then for you next trip. use that ticket as a starting point for the next trip. This would give you a year to use.
Old May 15, 2024, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dark_phoenix
My situation is that I have a travel certifocate that I need to use by the end of August. I also have a decent travel bank balance. Ultimately, my goal is to book a United Business/Polaris class ticket and use up both of them.

I know that you can't use both at the aame time to pay for an itinerary. But I was wondering if I could do something like book an economy ticket using my travel certificate, and then upgrade that ticket to Polaris/Business using my travel bank balance? Or vise versa? Has anyone done this and if so, could advise on what worked best for you.

Thanks for any guidance rhat can be provided.
Use the travel bank funds to book a flight you don't want. Don't book Basic Economy or the No Changes fares. Wait beyond 24 hours, cancel. You'll get Future Flight Credit valid for use on United.com. If your existing travel certificate is also Future Flight Credit, you're done -- start your new booking, and at checkout, apply both certificates. If your existing travel certificate is an Electronic Travel Credit, you have to do the book-wait-cancel trick with that one also, to convert it into Future Flight Credit as well.

The only situation where I'd foresee this having issues is if your existing travel credit is a partially-used ticket, in which case you probably won't be able to get this to work.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 2024, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Use the travel bank funds to book a flight you don't want. Don't book Basic Economy or the No Changes fares. Wait beyond 24 hours, cancel. You'll get Future Flight Credit valid for use on United.com. If your existing travel certificate is also Future Flight Credit, you're done -- start your new booking, and at checkout, apply both certificates. If your existing travel certificate is an Electronic Travel Credit, you have to do the book-wait-cancel trick with that one also, to convert it into Future Flight Credit as well.

The only situation where I'd foresee this having issues is if your existing travel credit is a partially-used ticket, in which case you probably won't be able to get this to work.
Thanks for this tip! Happy to see that there is a path forward 🙂

It is an ETC but fully unused, so I will try the book-wait-cancel approach to that as well to get that turned into a Future Flight Credit.

The prices for the trip I really want to take are going to be stable for a few weeks more, so I have time to book and wait.

Thanks again! 🙏🙌
jsloan and uanj like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.