Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Decide on getting UA Miles versus paying lower fare on Delta

Old May 13, 2024, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Hello! Request the help of experienced folk in the forum in deciding whether to fly LH to France paying USD 400 higher to accrue UA miles compared to Delta since I tend to fly UA more (and not Delta). Can pay using CSR or Amex Plat. Both from IAD and connecting in FRA or CDG.

TIA!
Old May 13, 2024, 9:03 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by iluvIPA
Hello! Request the help of experienced folk in the forum in deciding whether to fly LH to France paying USD 400 higher to accrue UA miles compared to Delta since I tend to fly UA more (and not Delta). Can pay using CSR or Amex Plat. Both from IAD and connecting in FRA or CDG.

TIA!
Whose money will you use? If it is the other people's money (OPM) and you won't get into trouble with extra cost, go for it.
Old May 13, 2024, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Impossible to answer meaningfully without more details about the flights, including class of service, routing, and how you plan to use the miles. But in general there is no way I would pay $400 more just to accrue to UA. UA miles are not worth much.
ani90, m.y, SPN Lifer and 6 others like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Impossible to answer meaningfully without more details about the flights, including class of service, routing, and how you plan to use the miles. But in general there is no way I would pay $400 more just to accrue to UA. UA miles are not worth much.
+1, However if I will need to pay for checked bags, extra room seats etc then Id add up the extras and deduct it from the $400 difference to get the net net difference and if its >$100 then Id go with UA, more then $100 Id book away from UA. If Id have to pay for those also on UA then Id book away and save the $400

Im a Loyalist to Me 1st then an airline or Hotel program Last
AJNEDC and benfro6 like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello! Request the help of experienced folk in the forum in deciding whether to fly LH to France paying USD 400 higher to accrue UA miles compared to Delta since I tend to fly UA more (and not Delta). !
The purpose of a frequent flyer program, from the customer's perspective, is to achieve a discount on travel.

DL/AF is offering you a $400 discount on travel. Even at a very aggressive $0.02//mile valuation, that's 20K miles' worth of value. Don't miss the forest for the trees here -- there's no way that the UA miles you'd earn would be worth an extra $400.
m.y, SPN Lifer, hhdl and 3 others like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I have paid little extra ($50-$75) a few times during COVID. But that was to finish 1MM, which actually has some tangible benefits.

For the OP situation, in absence of other benefits, I would save $ or try to find another routing on UA that reduces the gap.

I have heard connections in CDG are painful. Might be a tiebreaker (but not $400 worth)
Old May 13, 2024, 9:42 am

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Agree with others. Seems like a high tax just to accrue miles. If you are sticking to UA as part of an upgrade request strategy, then things change a bit, of course.
Old May 13, 2024, 10:17 am

Programs: *
Hello! Request the help of experienced folk in the forum in deciding whether to fly LH to France paying USD 400 higher to accrue UA miles compared to Delta
Impossible to answer meaningfully without more details about the flights, including class of service, routing, and how you plan to use the miles.
Additionally, if focus is earning UA miles, is there not an option on United metal transatlantic as opposed to LH or AF? If in J what aircraft and hard product are being considered? And is it miles accrued or PQP accrued that is the consideration? Is booking on United.com and do you need any protections from that? Also are there any plans for upgrade with instruments? An upgrade to LH F (or J to lesser degree), for example, could make the extra spend more worthwhile.
Old May 13, 2024, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Status planning would trump any redeemable accrual here.

jsloan has the right analysis; what is the excess dollar value of the UA flight in terms of loyalty benefits?
Old May 13, 2024, 11:29 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I have heard connections in CDG are painful.
They can be, which is part of the reason the specific routing matters. OTOH, depending on specifics, the AF product may be better than LH or UA.
Old May 13, 2024, 11:41 am

If lounge access figures in to the equation, paid or otherwise, it's worth bearing in mind that *A lounge access in FRA is going to be better than in CDG. Last time I went through CDG, there was no *A lounge in my intra-Shengen departure terminal, and while the seating in the gate areas was plentiful and nicely spaced out, the food offerings were meagre. In contrast, one might argue about FRA lounges being at the top or not (I'm in the not camp), but they are certainly acceptable.
Old May 13, 2024, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by jpezaris
If lounge access figures in to the equation, paid or otherwise, it's worth bearing in mind that *A lounge access in FRA is going to be better than in CDG. Last time I went through CDG, there was no *A lounge in my intra-Shengen departure terminal, and while the seating in the gate areas was plentiful and nicely spaced out, the food offerings were meagre. In contrast, one might argue about FRA lounges being at the top or not (I'm in the not camp), but they are certainly acceptable.
OP is talking about flying ST through CDG. The AF lounges at CDG are at least as good, if not better than the LH lounges at FRA.

Also, let's all keep in mind there's no indication OP has any *A status.
hhdl, SPN Lifer and jsloan like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 12:30 pm

Miles difference essentially useless

Status planning and lounge access more important
tods27, ARR72 and NJSwamplands like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 2:59 pm

Programs: *
Also, let's all keep in mind there's no indication OP has any *A status.
If OP doesn't have *A status, then hard to see any scenario where it would make sense spending even 50 dollars extra on a flight so the miles can be credited to United (or any *A carrier).
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 13, 2024, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Really depends on your status level and what you need to accrue on that front. If accruing reward miles is the goal, paying more is definitely not worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.